2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanieg89

HSC
HS just teaches you to do basic calculations quickly and pretty much directly apply some simple theorems in the various topics.

The calculus you do in HS is nowhere near rigorous and nor should it be, for the sake of actually being able to solve some decent real world problems within only a years of HS speed teaching and for the sake of not alienating all students without a strong interest in the more abstract side of maths. The loose intuitive ideas are more important than the precise flow of logic at that stage in your education.

It's pretty much the level of rigour that people like Newton and Leibniz used when they invented calculus and solved a ton of problems (especially from fields like mechanics). Rigorous analysis was only properly developed later, and its hard to appreciate just why its so important to have this rigour if you are only exposed to the current HSC syllabus.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
HS just teaches you to do basic calculations quickly and pretty much directly apply some simple theorems in the various topics.

The calculus you do in HS is nowhere near rigorous and nor should it be, for the sake of actually being able to solve some decent real world problems within only a years of HS speed teaching and for the sake of not alienating all students without a strong interest in the more abstract side of maths. The loose intuitive ideas are more important than the precise flow of logic at that stage in your education.

It's pretty much the level of rigour that people like Newton and Leibniz used when they invented calculus and solved a ton of problems (especially from fields like mechanics). Rigorous analysis was only properly developed later, and its hard to appreciate just why its so important to have this rigour if you are only exposed to the current HSC syllabus.
Well given I lack real world intuition, counterexamples occur to me and are comprehended by me very easily for a lot of the "niceties" assumed in the HSC.

Well, not everyone has a fucked up neurological arrangement like me. Whatever.

leehuan

HSC
Priorities for Holidays
- Become good at chess
- Learn infrastructure law
- Study
- Maybe try and watch either Game of Thrones (yeah never watched past s2, but I've read the books) or Parks and Recreation
- Read

Holidays start in 15 hours :D
lol

Wonder what's your motivation

Jakulore

HSC
All this Maths talk has been giving me a headache :spzz:

Ellztrap

HSC
Uni Grad
Today I had an end of prelim exam and man it wasn't a matter of "I hope I have enough time to finish it" it was a "I hope I don't have enough time to finish it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
lelele need a haircut and want a new style
decisions decisions

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
lelele need a haircut and want a new style
decisions decisions
Same i look like a caveman. But idk if i want to shave my beard, i like it this thick.
Maybe you shouldnt cut your hair, just grow it out. Especially since winter is coming, longer hair + beard work better with winter gear

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Same i look like a caveman. But idk if i want to shave my beard, i like it this thick.
Maybe you shouldnt cut your hair, just grow it out. Especially since winter is coming, longer hair + beard work better with winter gear
:lol:

nah ill probably end up the same undercut i usually get
the hair on top is usually pree long

plus aesthetics > everything ahaha

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
True true. I dont really care bout my aesthetics atm, im not really trying to impress anyone.
But still have to look decent for da bae

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
my school is late af, exams are 2 weeks after holidays

this always happens ripperoni

oh btw how do you 2016 4u gods e.g. paradoxica and kingofacting know much of the content months before you start the course? acceleration? IK its possible to know some of the content but it seems you knew every topic months before the course began (not talking about 1-3 months, but rather almost a year), and to a good extent as well.
tutoring perhaps?
i remember someone here used 4u principles in 2u exam, and lost marks (kingofacting i think)

sorry peasant here asking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)