HSC
Tempted to send an email to MANSW about the matrices in 4U now though

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
SCREAMS

WHAT

That's so much easier I'm literally sobbing inside I wish I knew this eariler
I'm not sure it's worth the risk though, at least internally. There was an old BOS thread where someone used matrices to find a triangle area for fun (just to see if he'd get the marks, I think it was a 2U assessment and he was planning to do 4U or something like that) and he got given 0 with the marker saying it was 'wrong' or something (even though the answer was right).

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Are you sure you're allowed to use matrices for the Conics section in HSC? Because that'll really trivialise some of the questions they ask.
Well I'm not sure what the HSC marking criteria entails, but my Olympiad tutor said that's what he did. I will have to ask him about that.

leehuan

HSC
I did this past paper..and it had 3..it's legit so tedious and not even hard. I get bored doing it
Meh it's just multiplying equations and then using elimination though.

leehuan

HSC
Well I'm not sure what the HSC marking criteria entails, but my Olympiad tutor said that's what he did. I will have to ask him about that.
It just sounds so...peculiar...because the HSC hates even L'Hopitals rule now

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I'm not sure it's worth the risk though, at least internally. There was an old BOS thread where someone used matrices to find a triangle area for fun (just to see if he'd get the marks, I think it was a 2U assessment and he was planning to do 4U or something like that) and he got given 0 with the marker saying it was 'wrong' or something (even though the answer was right).
Yeah nah I don't think I'll risk it in school. Besides we're done with conics until trials so I got plenty of time to ask about it. I know all about picky markers tho - when I did 2u last year one of the questions asked to solve the roots of a bi-quadratic, so I found the two real and two imaginary roots, and then LOST marks because "it gave me an unfair advantage over the other 2u students". Instead, I was supposed to find the two reals, and under the quadratic for the imaginary roots write "no real solution". Does the fact that I found imaginary roots not imply I know they're not real? gg markers

leehuan

HSC
Just prove L'Hôpital's rule then use it. Done.
Just, stop trying to exert your methods on the HSC examiners lol they won't care for you.

But yeah fair point

It's only annoying if you have to do like 20 of them a day. On many occasions I've found completing the square an extremely useful tool

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Yeah nah I don't think I'll risk it in school. Besides we're done with conics until trials so I got plenty of time to ask about it. I know all about picky markers tho - when I did 2u last year one of the questions asked to solve the roots of a bi-quadratic, so I found the two real and two imaginary roots, and then LOST marks because "it gave me an unfair advantage over the other 2u students". Instead, I was supposed to find the two reals, and under the quadratic for the imaginary roots write "no real solution". Does the fact that I found imaginary roots not imply I know they're not real? gg markers
Yeah I remember something similar in an old BOS thread too.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Just, stop trying to exert your methods on the HSC examiners lol they won't care for you.

But yeah fair point

It's only annoying if you have to do like 20 of them a day. On many occasions I've found completing the square an extremely useful tool
Well in that case I'll just use a bounding argument and say "Squeeze Theorem". Which is what they normally say anyway, just without the theorem bit.

But for Integrals, hell no, I'm doing them my way.

Just quote a general formula that can be proven very very easily, and put in the values for whatever the case is.

leehuan

HSC
Lol.
MX2 makes you use squeeze theorem without the kids even knowing what it's called. They just assume it cause it sounds right ._.

At least MX2 integrals aren't difficult - almost all of them are trivial. But I'm seriously questioning if that will get you marks.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Lol.
MX2 makes you use squeeze theorem without the kids even knowing what it's called. They just assume it cause it sounds right ._.

At least MX2 integrals aren't difficult - almost all of them are trivial. But I'm seriously questioning if that will get you marks.
Most HSC maths things are 'assumed because they sound right', e.g. limits, integration, volumes, etc.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Lol.

I'll just typeset my own ideal answers and check with my Head teacher.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Priorities for Holidays
- Become good at chess
- Learn infrastructure law
- Study
- Maybe try and watch either Game of Thrones (yeah never watched past s2, but I've read the books) or Parks and Recreation
- Read

Holidays start in 15 hours :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)