UTS LAW vs UNSW LAW (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
Hi,

just wondering if someone could give some advice or tips on making the choice between UTS LAW and UNSW LAW.

So i've got into Med sci / law at UTS but had been aiming for UNSW sci / law. Just wondering if I should just do a sci at UNSW and try in 2017 or take the UTS and then externally transfer?

What's the major employability and social life differences between these two?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Some things for you to consider:
- UNSW will implement the LAT for 2017 and onwards Law entry.
- If you have an unlucky first year at UTS Med Sci/Law in regards to marks, you're still in a Law degree and can pick yourself up in your remaining years.
- If you have an unlucky first year at UNSW Sci in regards to marks, you won't be able to internally transfer to Sci/Law. Even if you do well in Sci, you need to also do well in the LAT which is an unknown factor at this point.
- So the ultimate question is whether you want to do Law or want to go UNSW - to be exact, which one do you want more?
- In regards to employability, there are a good number of UTS students who end up with top-tier (Big 6) and mid-tier clerkships/grad positions. Of course UNSW will have more students in these clerkships/grad positions but UTS is still a law school which produces quality students.
- The law societies at both universities are active so there's no need to worry about that. UNSW probably has a greater range of active clubs/societies in general, but the social life at UTS is fine.

Overall, I'd go with Med Sci/Law at UTS if you really want to end up practising law. If you're really passionate about going UNSW, you can always sit the LAT and attempt to externally transfer to UNSW combined law.

I think it's a difficult choice but ultimately, it's up to you to decide.

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're looking to go into Law, it doesn't really matter what you combine your law degree with. However, doing a Science/Law combination makes you attractive for IP Law, specifically patents. You could become a patent attorney (not that you really need a law degree for this) where you help clients draft up their claims

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
If you're looking to go into Law, it doesn't really matter what you combine your law degree with. However, doing a Science/Law combination makes you attractive for IP Law, specifically patents. You could become a patent attorney (not that you really need a law degree for this) where you help clients draft up their claims
Thanks for the reply Trans4m. I am considering working in the field of Law upon graduating. But I was considering a Law/Science degree as I thought it would allow me to work in the pharmaceutical and medical fields as a lawyer. Do you think that is possible, or are there better alternatives?

Thanks in advance :)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the reply Trans4m. I am considering working in the field of Law upon graduating. But I was considering a Law/Science degree as I thought it would allow me to work in the pharmaceutical and medical fields as a lawyer. Do you think that is possible, or are there better alternatives?

Honestly a science degree wouldn't be that useful with law, but it doesn't matter since Law is dual in UNSW

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly a science degree wouldn't be that useful with law, but it doesn't matter since Law is dual in UNSW
I disagree, there are some fields such as patent and intellectual property where a science knowledge comes in very handy with legal expertise.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
I disagree, there are some fields such as patent and intellectual property where a science knowledge comes in very handy with legal expertise.
Hi strawberrye, do you know of any other combinations with a law degree which would open up more opportunities. I'm currently interested in becoming a lawyer in the pharmaceutical and medical industry.

Thanks.

si2136

HSC
N/A
That is what USYD says on their site.

Of course this is partially false, any knowledge would be useful, but it is not needed.

And TROLOL mentions pharmaceutical/medical.

@TROLOL are you talking about Malpractice or Negligence Law?

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC

Of course this is partially false, any knowledge would be useful, but it is not needed.

In that case I was referring to malpractice. But in general I would just like to see what others think would be an ideal degree to combine with Law, such that it would assist me in pursuing a path as a lawyer in the pharmaceutical/medical industry.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi strawberrye, do you know of any other combinations with a law degree which would open up more opportunities. I'm currently interested in becoming a lawyer in the pharmaceutical and medical industry.

Thanks.

There are many combinations, arguably commerce/law opens up a lot of opportunities, but to be honest, do what you love and you will enjoy uni, get good grades and find it easier to find a job. I think it is unwise to be very restrictive of what fields you wish to work on, but keep it more open minded-because unless you know a lawyer who works in those specific fields and know what it exactly is like, it might be based on stereotypes of what a lawyer's life would be like in these fields rather than reality, and with over saturation of law graduates in so many fields, wiser to be more flexible and keep it open-I still think science/law suits (you can choose your desired major, i.e. pharmacology etc)

As to respond to si2136's opinion, I would like to hear why you think it is not needed and how my statement was partially false-i.e. do you know this from an actual practising lawyer's perspective in that field and if so, I welcome you to share that experience and insight with us :)

ameher

HSC
There are many combinations, arguably commerce/law opens up a lot of opportunities, but to be honest, do what you love and you will enjoy uni, get good grades and find it easier to find a job. I think it is unwise to be very restrictive of what fields you wish to work on, but keep it more open minded-because unless you know a lawyer who works in those specific fields and know what it exactly is like, it might be based on stereotypes of what a lawyer's life would be like in these fields rather than reality, and with over saturation of law graduates in so many fields, wiser to be more flexible and keep it open-I still think science/law suits (you can choose your desired major, i.e. pharmacology etc)

As to respond to si2136's opinion, I would like to hear why you think it is not needed and how my statement was partially false-i.e. do you know this from an actual practising lawyer's perspective in that field and if so, I welcome you to share that experience and insight with us :)
Any combination with law is useful. Due to the oversaturation in the market, it is even more important to truly enjoy your second degree and use it as a backup to get into another professional sphere. As a lawyer who currently works in the industry, i can safely say that you need a second degree that you actually enjoy as the way the market is currently positioned that degree has become more valuable then ever before.

ameher

HSC
As for the original question if you want to pursue law, go with UTS Law, quality law school which produces many working in large law firms across Australia and Globally.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
As for the original question if you want to pursue law, go with UTS Law, quality law school which produces many working in large law firms across Australia and Globally.
Thanks for your input Ameher and srawberrye.

At the moment, I'm pretty satisfied with a Law/Science Degree. But in regards to the universities, how does Macquarie Law compare with UTS Law. They both offer Law/Science, but I was wondering which has more business connections and an overall better teaching system to prepare me best once I graduate. Any personal opinions would be appreciated. :)

ameher

HSC
Me personally, am going to be overly bias to MQ Law school but for me it was the perfect law school. I really enjoyed the philosophical approach to teaching law, it was not purely about its application, but rather what is the law doing right, where can it be reformed and where do you see it years from now. The critical thinking skills and overall social atmosphere of the degree made me enjoy it. The law society is very active and i could not speak more highly of my time there.

T-R-O-L-O-L

HSC
Me personally, am going to be overly bias to MQ Law school but for me it was the perfect law school. I really enjoyed the philosophical approach to teaching law, it was not purely about its application, but rather what is the law doing right, where can it be reformed and where do you see it years from now. The critical thinking skills and overall social atmosphere of the degree made me enjoy it. The law society is very active and i could not speak more highly of my time there.
It must be great there because I've heard a few people say the same thing

clementinez

HSC
N/A

It doesn't matter what your second degree is when it comes to being a lawyer because you learn everything you need to know within the law degree itself. I don't know if individual employers would prefer a second degree in science but they are hiring you to be a lawyer not a lab technician. I would suggest you choose a second degree that interests you and that you could potentially use for employment purposes if you decide against practicing law. Having said this, I believe a Science degree is a good way to break up the constant reading and essay writing that paves your path through law school. It's also better than a Medical Science degree because it allows you to choose from a wider selection of electives.
Commerce is generally regarded as a useful degree when combined with law but as I said, everything you need to know for the practice of law is within the law degree regardless of whether it be medical law, torts, criminal law, etc..

edit: I just realised I didn't answer your initial question.
If you know you want law then go to UTS and transfer later because if you get poor grades in 1st year at UNSW you won't be able to internally transfer while if this happens at UTS you're already in a law program so you can fix the situation in 2nd year. (I'm pretty sure I saw someone already say this)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)