USyd comm on par with UNSW comm? pros and cons? (1 Viewer)

pHyRe

HSC
I did extensive research on this topic as I was facing a similar situation and here's what I found:

USYD
Pros:
- Location (no need for 30 minute transport from Central Station + waiting in line for bus, unless you are deciding to live on campus, in which case USYD is still better as it is closer to CBD where most food/jobs are)
- Slightly more prestigious (this is more important if you are deciding to transfer overseas, the difference is negligible if you decide to work in Australia)
- More white people (good if you are white)
- Less group work (if you don't like working in groups)
- Slightly better networking opportunities (industry placements, rich white students, etc)

Cons
- USYD Access Card to join clubs cost $150, this is free at UNSW (you will need to join clubs if you want extra-curricular activities on your resume)
- Slightly harder marking (moreso for law)
- Heavy weighting on final exams (I've heard that it can be 80% finals and 20% internals), this means it is easy to fail
- Worser teaching than UNSW (they teach history in accounting?) and most of the educators are old, white people who are preparing students for the 20th century not the 21st century
- THE TIMETABLE IS HORRIBLE, there is no night classes so don't expect to work and study full-time, they will randomly allocate you a timetable based on times that you select as unavailable
its like $60-70, dunno where youre getting that from

timetable is perfectly fine honestly. in many ways i actually prefer it. ive just selected the two days i want off, and done. it'll do its best to do that. just use your head a bit and you can get it to whatever you like, within the offered classes. it also prevents the mad rush i hear about at unsw, where you have to get it all done in a day else youre screwed. classes wont fill up for at least 3-4 days. even more potentially.

evening classes is a fair criticism though. i think there are tutes that run somewhere around 5-7pm and lectures at 6pm.

i'd also argue that usyd is at least on par with unsw for business. accounting its most likely ahead. finance on par, and other disciplines usyd is likely ahead. i prefer the structure a lot more too and tutors are extremely good. just pick a good one (i.e. one who speaks clearly and without a hard to understand accent). nice new building too

worser?? id say most of that may have been true 5 years ago but the faculty and structure has all been overhauled a fair bit. if anything there aren't enough old white lecturers anymore. and i would say you're perfectly fine at being trained for the 21st century. my unsw finance friends were shocked i had a 12 page finance report, what do you think you'll be doing in actually finance??

Last edited:

milkytea99

HSC
I think the thread below helps. I just copy and pasted the main questions. This basically answered all of my questions tbh.

" http://community.boredofstudies.org/331/law/96798/uni-advice-com-law-usyd-unsw.html?pp=15

Were you offered a scholarship to UNSW? If yes, go to UNSW
Were you offered a scholarship to USYD? If yes, go to USYD
Were you offered a scholarship to both? If yes, go to 2.
Were you offered a scholarship to neither? If yes, have a hug and go to 2.
Are you going to be paying full fee? If yes, forget about either and go to ANU, MAQ or UWS.

Do you want to do an accounting major? If yes, go to UNSW. If No, go to 3.

Do you like the idea of travelling for an extra 20 minutes each day? If no, go to USYD, if you live in the Eastern suburbs go to UNSW. If you don't care go to 4.

Are you asian? Will you fit in with the "asian social scene"? If yes go to UNSW, if you want a decent social scene, go to USYD.

Other questions to ask yourself:
- Does sandstone tickle your pickle?
- Do you want to work with a group of aspiring UN officials and diplomats or aspiring investment bankers?
- Do you like pretty buildings? The new law faculty at UNSW will be open before the new faculty at Usyd."

Last edited:

pHyRe

HSC
I think the thread below helps. I just copy and pasted the main questions. This basically answered all of my questions tbh.

" http://community.boredofstudies.org/331/law/96798/uni-advice-com-law-usyd-unsw.html?pp=15

Are you going to be paying full fee? If yes, forget about either and go to ANU, MAQ or UWS.

Do you like the idea of travelling for an extra 20 minutes each day? If no, go to USYD, if you live in the Eastern suburbs go to UNSW. If you don't care go to 4.

Are you asian? Will you fit in with the "asian social scene"? If yes go to UNSW, if you want a decent social scene, go to USYD.

- Do you want to work with a group of aspiring UN officials and diplomats or aspiring investment bankers?
- Do you like pretty buildings? The new law faculty at UNSW will be open before the new faculty at Usyd."

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

and look at the emboldened section

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

usyd wishes their club and social scene was half that of unsw's

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
i'm going to overlook the blatant casual racism

and look at the emboldened section

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

usyd wishes their club and social scene was half that of unsw's
Cause your part of da Asian scene - look at who runs Bsoc at UNSW lol

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
you do realise i'm part of more 'white people societies' than 'asian societies' right?
I'm fairlllly sure most of your closer friends are Asian which dictates your social scene - societies are a different story altogether but I can tell you there's a lot more "white people societies" at USYD then UNSW

Mathew587

HSC
Can someone pls elaborate on the "asian social scene"? : ]

sida1049

HSC
Can someone pls elaborate on the "asian social scene"? : ]
95% of it is just being around Asians. If most or all of your friends are Asians, then you're probably in an "Asian social scene".

(The other 5%, if you're curious, may involve K-pop or whatever. I have no idea.)

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I think UNSW has the biggest social life tbh - I never hear about the USYD social life unless it's paying $70 for the access membership card and paying money to join societies on top of that.

Also heard that the interior of the buildings at USYD aren't that gr8 compared to UNSW, it's just being pretty on the outside but ugly on the inside :'(

Yes I go to UNSW and I know bias is speaking but you can never have true objectivity in a subject like this <3

sida1049

HSC
I think UNSW has the biggest social life tbh - I never hear about the USYD social life unless it's paying $70 for the access membership card and paying money to join societies on top of that.

Also heard that the interior of the buildings at USYD aren't that gr8 compared to UNSW, it's just being pretty on the outside but ugly on the inside :'(

Yes I go to UNSW and I know bias is speaking but you can never have true objectivity in a subject like this <3
I disagree with both points, since I've heard the exact same but with "UNSW" and "USYD" switched around for both statements (even by some UNSW students).

That said, UNSW's social life does seem to be a selling point for a lot of people (and a point of deterrence for some). I'm fairly certain that it's tied into the same idea/perception that UNSW has an "Asian" majority so you'd "fit in" better if you're Asian. A friend of mine who goes to UNSW said that UNSW offers what seems like a "high-school-like" social experience, so that helps explain why huge high school cliches and friend groups tend to go to UNSW (like what happened with my cohort; the people who ended up at UNSW were far more close-knitted). (BoS also has a UNSW bias, so that counts for something.)

Okay I know the whole $70 Access membership for societies at USYD is a huge drawback for a lot of people when assessing our social life, but there is a reason for it; it's a system of resource allocation. Societies are funded based on number of Access members they have. That way, it slightly reduces the student fees so that students who want the service pay for the service, while those who don't, don't.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I disagree with both points, since I've heard the exact same but with "UNSW" and "USYD" switched around for both statements (even by some UNSW students).

That said, UNSW's social life does seem to be a selling point for a lot of people (and a point of deterrence for some). I'm fairly certain that it's tied into the same idea/perception that UNSW has an "Asian" majority so you'd "fit in" better if you're Asian. A friend of mine who goes to UNSW said that UNSW offers what seems like a "high-school-like" social experience, so that helps explain why huge high school cliches and friend groups tend to go to UNSW (like what happened with my cohort; the people who ended up at UNSW were far more close-knitted). (BoS also has a UNSW bias, so that counts for something.)

Okay I know the whole $70 Access membership for societies at USYD is a huge drawback for a lot of people when assessing our social life, but there is a reason for it; it's a system of resource allocation. Societies are funded based on number of Access members they have. That way, it slightly reduces the student fees so that students who want the service pay for the service, while those who don't, don't.
By the looks of it though it seems we both get similar funding in terms of societies but UNSW doesn't have to pay the $70 fee..?

But in my perspective - most of the High School groups went along to USYD so I guess that point doesn't really work since it's all pretty situational.

And I'm not 'Asian' but I still don't feel left out? I can see how that's a 'selling point' - but I really don't think it's such a huge deal. It's the same as saying, "everyone at USYD is elitist, so I want to go into a uni where everyone is pretentious as me so I can fit in better". Sounds silly and a bit cliche right?

sida1049

HSC
By the looks of it though it seems we both get similar funding in terms of societies but UNSW doesn't have to pay the $70 fee..?
Yeah, so the funding for societies must be a part of another bundle of fees.

But in my perspective - most of the High School groups went along to USYD so I guess that point doesn't really work since it's all pretty situational.

And I'm not 'Asian' but I still don't feel left out? I can see how that's a 'selling point' - but I really don't think it's such a huge deal. It's the same as saying, "everyone at USYD is elitist, so I want to go into a uni where everyone is pretentious as me so I can fit in better". Sounds silly and a bit cliche right?
Exactly, that's the point I was making. I wasn't saying that UNSW is an Asian uni, I was pointing out that some people choose to go to UNSW on those perceptions. Saying that UNSW has a "bigger social life" or that the uni is "for Asians only", or similar statements you hear about any uni is pretty pointless since it's all subjective. Moreover, it's even worse when those empty biases are taken into the decision-making processes of high school graduates. Can you imagine an HSC student thinking "hmmm USYD is a good school with the course I want, but I heard it's elitist and has no social life compared to UNSW, and I don't want to miss out on enjoying my uni life, so regardless I'll go to UNSW instead."

sea-r-du

HSC
N/A

ABS Auditorium, Abercrombie Building (i.e. USYD Business School Building)

si2136

HSC
N/A
IMO UNSW just markets really well. You never really hear anything about USYD.

HSC
Uni Grad
Now that UNSW is going to be implementing trimesters, doesn't look too good for UNSW these days. :S

Jakulore

HSC

I agree with the Asian thing. I mean I have made friends who are Asian and they are great so it doesn't really bother me. BUT I am not Asian and there are heaps of non-Asians too... Like I have established a pretty decent group with both so it doesn't really bother me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)