English standard vs Advanced? (1 Viewer)

yonezwxu

HSC
Hi guys, I am currently in year 10 and i need some advice on picking between english standard or advanced as im really torn in between right now. I would say Im not a terrible english student but I am not excelling either, I've asked my teachers and tutors and they all have different recs so im quite indecisive. I got 15/20 in my recent exam and have to pick out my hsc subjects soon and my teacher says im exactly in the middle of standard and advanced. I know advanced has the better cohort, scaling, teachers and generally better learning environment (im worried that ill start slacking off in standard) but im worried that i wont do well enough and really struggle through it and end up not getting the scaling benefit at the end which would be really upsetting. So im tempted to do standard for the easier course and less workload as i am planning some content heavy courses and wanting to do ext 2 maths but am unsure about the probability of me getting into the course. I would say i have a goodish chance as i am borderline top 25 in the cohort and i want to focus on maths so im not so sure. I know the standard cohort is relatively weak considering my school isn't doing great currently in terms of rankings and i would say the advanced cohort is better. I've seen a lot of people saying how there isn't much of a difference in terms of effort but a big difference in terms of workload and difficulty and how the advanced course tests your fluidity of language/writing which im not exceptionally great at? Right now i am looking for tutoring places and am trying to improve my writing but it's an difficult process. I am planning on taking maths adv, maths ext1, bio, chem, economics & textiles next year and want to get a high atar, currently aiming for 96+ so I would really appreciate any advice I can get at the moment.

wollongong warrior

HSC
Standard english isn't easily nor does it have a smaller work load
The syllabus is almost a carbon copy of advanced, it just does more films than texts
So I recommend advanced english since it doesn't cap your atar like standard does lol

yonezwxu

HSC
Standard english isn't easily nor does it have a smaller work load
The syllabus is almost a carbon copy of advanced, it just does more films than texts
So I recommend advanced english since it doesn't cap your atar like standard does lol
I heard that getting a band 6 in standard is pretty much impossible so im tempted to just try advanced and all my teachers make the literature analysing part and writing fluidity for advanced challenging and like strenuous which idk if its true but ty for the help anyways

wollongong warrior

HSC
I heard that getting a band 6 in standard is pretty much impossible so im tempted to just try advanced and all my teachers make the literature analysing part and writing fluidity for advanced challenging and like strenuous which idk if its true but ty for the help anyways
Definitely not impossible, it's the same difficulty as advanced but you won't be rewarded as much

spiderfan44

HSC
Hi guys, I am currently in year 10 and i need some advice on picking between english standard or advanced as im really torn in between right now. I would say Im not a terrible english student but I am not excelling either, I've asked my teachers and tutors and they all have different recs so im quite indecisive. I got 15/20 in my recent exam and have to pick out my hsc subjects soon and my teacher says im exactly in the middle of standard and advanced. I know advanced has the better cohort, scaling, teachers and generally better learning environment (im worried that ill start slacking off in standard) but im worried that i wont do well enough and really struggle through it and end up not getting the scaling benefit at the end which would be really upsetting. So im tempted to do standard for the easier course and less workload as i am planning some content heavy courses and wanting to do ext 2 maths but am unsure about the probability of me getting into the course. I would say i have a goodish chance as i am borderline top 25 in the cohort and i want to focus on maths so im not so sure. I know the standard cohort is relatively weak considering my school isn't doing great currently in terms of rankings and i would say the advanced cohort is better. I've seen a lot of people saying how there isn't much of a difference in terms of effort but a big difference in terms of workload and difficulty and how the advanced course tests your fluidity of language/writing which im not exceptionally great at? Right now i am looking for tutoring places and am trying to improve my writing but it's an difficult process. I am planning on taking maths adv, maths ext1, bio, chem, economics & textiles next year and want to get a high atar, currently aiming for 96+ so I would really appreciate any advice I can get at the moment.
i think most schools give u the option to drop down from advanced to standard. if ur school allows u to drop down, i think it would be a good idea to try advanced for a term or so just to see if you like it. standard does scale worse than adv, but its also worth considering that if u cant handle the workload of adv that ur mark may end up worse than if you were to do standard.

amatterra

HSC
same dilemma here lol, and the subjects you want to choose are similar to what I want to choose too!! hahaha

liamkk112

HSC
it’s not impossible, if i hadn’t messed up my english had a little less i would’ve gotten band 6, but for reference someone in my class got a 95 external mark so it’s certainly possible (i just suck at english but somehow got rank 1)

imo, do advanced in year 11, and if it doesn’t work out and you think the workload is too high drop to standard. it worked well for me, my school had expectations of writing like 4-6 paragraphs of analysis in advanced compared to 2-3 in standard, insane ik but that’s just how it was. my school also had a class full of advanced droppers and were pretty supportive of the standard cohort, we had some pretty good teachers and tbh i would’ve not done nearly as well in english if i continued advanced through to year 12. however, because of the slightly better scaling, it’s worth a try and if you think you can keep it up in advanced then 100% keep it, otherwise there’s literally no issues with dropping to standard

yonezwxu

HSC
same dilemma here lol, and the subjects you want to choose are similar to what I want to choose too!! hahaha
its kinda good to see that im not the only one stuck in this situation lol, im just hoping what ever decision i make in the end will work out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)