• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

the importance of ranking for external exams (1 Viewer)

momothemonkey

HSC
hey guys!
recently my teacher was explaining to us that if you're ranked number 1 for your internals your hsc exam performance doesn't really matter because you will end up getting whatever the highest mark achieved was, even if it was by another student. but wouldn't this be very unfair for people ranked near the bottom. like say hypothetically if you're ranking last but you miraculously end up getting the best mark in nesa's external hsc exam you wouldn't even end up getting that result and instead you'd get the lowest mark achieved by any student in your school cohort?

this seems quite wrong to me and im not very sure that this is actually what my teacher actually meant so i wanted to seek some clarification.

thank you!!

jonolad69

Banned
HSC
hey guys!
recently my teacher was explaining to us that if you're ranked number 1 for your internals your hsc exam performance doesn't really matter because you will end up getting whatever the highest mark achieved was, even if it was by another student. but wouldn't this be very unfair for people ranked near the bottom. like say hypothetically if you're ranking last but you miraculously end up getting the best mark in nesa's external hsc exam you wouldn't even end up getting that result and instead you'd get the lowest mark achieved by any student in your school cohort?

this seems quite wrong to me and im not very sure that this is actually what my teacher actually meant so i wanted to seek some clarification.

thank you!!
its 50/50 contribution towards your hsc mark based on how you do as a student, and how you do based on your rank

so the person coming last can get a miraculous 98/100, that would be their exam mark, but their assessment mark would be the mark based on their rank of last (say 68)

so their hsc mark would be 83

momothemonkey

HSC
ohh okay tysm so the exam mark doesn't change between students depending on ranks. how/why is the internal mark based on their rank of last? or is it just because due to the fact they ranked last their assessment marks wouldn't have been good anyways (aka other students performances don't impact your raw marks).

jonolad69

Banned
HSC
ohh okay tysm so the exam mark doesn't change between students depending on ranks. how/why is the internal mark based on their rank of last? or is it just because due to the fact they ranked last their assessment marks wouldn't have been good anyways (aka other students performances don't impact your raw marks).
yeah pretty much

your internal mark is based on your ranks pretty much, you are rewarded based on how you did at school and it's kind of indicative of the rank you'll be in the actual external hsc exam

iloveeggs

HSC
ik you got your answer but i wanted to address smth you said for anyone else that happens to look at the thread later on.
but wouldn't this be very unfair for people ranked near the bottom.
i totally understand why you would say this but the 50% that comes from your internal is ONLY reflective of your internal performance (i.e. your ranking within the school). its not fair on the high achievers who ranked great in the internals if the people that only did well in the external took up high marks that go towards the internals too.

moral of the story is that the hsc is a marathon, not a sprint. for anyone going into y12, dont start relaxing in y12 bc your internal ranks 100% matter and you really shouldn't be relying on a miraculous comeback in the hsc exam to pull you up from the trenches. and similarly dont give up after y12 and relax for the hsc either. both matter and you can't slack off completely

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)