• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ENGLISH ADV PEOPLE! how do we write a reflection? (1 Viewer)

Sunny1422

HSC
ENGLISH ADVANCED PEOPLE

I NEED HELP

how do we write a reflection i have my module c piece but i don't know how to write a reflection does anyone have any good tips or a template or a example i can use

hscccc

HSC
you need to reference ur mod c text and how it shaped ur response/inspired ur crafting. pls dont fully listen to that gpt bs, find an actual structure from someone thats done the course, not an ai. Theres probably examples on here, I can send you mine if you cant find anything

hscccc

HSC
you need to reference ur mod c text and how it shaped ur response/inspired ur crafting. pls dont fully listen to that gpt bs, find an actual structure from someone thats done the course, not an ai. Theres probably examples on here, I can send you mine if you cant find anything
ok so this is is a rough structure based on mine:

opening sentence with the title of your piece, the thematic concern and what this reveals about humanity etc.
eg. [title] encapsulates the absurdity of human existence in the face of inevitable mortality, revealing the innate fragmentation of the psyche in search of existential autonomy.

then i expand on that more.. purpose of the piece, message or insight
and then I state the effect on the reader
Ultimately, my piece challenges readers to confront their own sense of purpose in the face of life’s uncertainties.

So its like a mini intro, then i go into my analysis. I bring in my mod c text here

Particularly, Colum McCann’s metafictive short story, ‘What Time Is It Now, Where You Are?’ inspired me to experiment with intertextuality...

and then ill come back to it throughout while analysing my own piece:
McCann’s allusion to the work of James Joyce influenced my characterisation..

If ur mod c text isnt specified then ur good (im pretty sure u dont need to mention it), but you need to prepare for it, which is what ive done. You just cut out the references to ur mod c stuff if thats the case.

length is around 400 words

You want to pick evidence that is your best - you dont want to focus on something thats obvious to the marker, talk about a motif, structure, if youve played with line positioning, experimentation etc. The justification is marked on its own too, not with ur piece.

HSC
N/A
@jimmysmith560 theyre blocking a lot of threads w this repeated ai dribble, copying answers and blocking actual constructive and useful information within them
My suggestions are helpful! Its ai incorporated but still provides useful information!
Instead of bittering over my actions, please go study for your HSC in 7 days

Thanks 😀

Sunny1422

HSC
ok so this is is a rough structure based on mine:

opening sentence with the title of your piece, the thematic concern and what this reveals about humanity etc.
eg. [title] encapsulates the absurdity of human existence in the face of inevitable mortality, revealing the innate fragmentation of the psyche in search of existential autonomy.

then i expand on that more.. purpose of the piece, message or insight
and then I state the effect on the reader
Ultimately, my piece challenges readers to confront their own sense of purpose in the face of life’s uncertainties.

So its like a mini intro, then i go into my analysis. I bring in my mod c text here

Particularly, Colum McCann’s metafictive short story, ‘What Time Is It Now, Where You Are?’ inspired me to experiment with intertextuality...

and then ill come back to it throughout while analysing my own piece:
McCann’s allusion to the work of James Joyce influenced my characterisation..

If ur mod c text isnt specified then ur good (im pretty sure u dont need to mention it), but you need to prepare for it, which is what ive done. You just cut out the references to ur mod c stuff if thats the case.

length is around 400 words

You want to pick evidence that is your best - you dont want to focus on something thats obvious to the marker, talk about a motif, structure, if youve played with line positioning, experimentation etc. The justification is marked on its own too, not with ur piece.

Thank youuu so much! This helped me a lot!

Sunny1422

HSC
Does anyone have any tips for answering short answer (english advanced)??
any techniques i can refer to any tips in general

hscccc

HSC
Does anyone have any tips for answering short answer (english advanced)??
any techniques i can refer to any tips in general
a huge list of techniques were just posted in the 2024 thread

I gave this advice the other week :)

i got 19/20 in short answers for trials, this is the general structure i use:

a concise 'WHAT' that answers the question- what is the human experience and what does this show?
depending on the amount of marks u can do an explanation

the length and amount of techniques depends on the mark allocation, generally it goes:
3 marks = 2
4 marks = 3
5 marks = 4 etc.

with each bit of new evidence you use, you must provide a new insight - dont repeat the same thing. try to imbed quotes in the sentence

remember to name your techniques and dont use the same one twice

sophistication and judiciously selected evidence is what will ultimately get you into the highest band.

honestly in short answers you have to bs - think of some fluffy insight and prove it.
hsc markers are trying to reward you and are not looking for a ridiculous lengthy responses, the allocated lines are how much you should be writing.

link back to readers/audiences and the authors purpose - how this challenges, inspires, provokes etc.
the only way youre going to improve is by practicing short answers in timed conditions.

ill add - make sure you are familiar w the rubric terms, paradoxes, inconsistencies etc.

1. Read the Question first.
  2. Begin with WHAT is the human experience/the WHAT in the question and answer it explicitly
  3. Then move to the HOW
  4. Then the WHY- relevant/purpose
  5. explain the technique’s effect

Sunny1422

HSC

a concise 'WHAT' that answers the question- what is the human experience and what does this show?

the length and amount of techniques depends on the mark allocation, generally it goes:
3 marks = 2
4 marks = 3
5 marks = 4 etc.

with each bit of new evidence you use, you must provide a new insight - dont repeat the same thing. try to imbed quotes in the sentence

sophistication and judiciously selected evidence is what will ultimately get you into the highest band.

honestly in short answers you have to bs - think of some fluffy insight and prove it.
hsc markers are trying to reward you and are not looking for a ridiculous lengthy responses, the allocated lines are how much you should be writing.

link back to readers/audiences and the authors purpose - how this challenges, inspires, provokes etc.
the only way youre going to improve is by practicing short answers in timed conditions.

ill add - make sure you are familiar w the rubric terms, paradoxes, inconsistencies etc.

2. Begin with WHAT is the human experience/the WHAT in the question and answer it explicitly
  3. Then move to the HOW

THANK U SO MUCH!!! ill lykk how it goes!

Sunny1422

HSC

3 marks = 2
4 marks = 3
5 marks = 4 etc.

3. Then move to the HOW
do you have any advice for finding good evidence FAST? and what are some really good techniques that are your go to?

Sunny1422

HSC
/Does anyone have any advice for writing a short answer 6 marker + template? like how to write it into a small essay??

hscccc

HSC
do you have any advice for finding good evidence FAST? and what are some really good techniques that are your go to?
the ones u can generally find really fast are the pov -first person, inclusive language, short syntax, enjambment in poetry, similes (like or as is super easy to identify), inclusive language (we, us), direct address (you), deliberate punctuation (..., -), exclamatory sentence!

Just practice reading and looking out for those things, once you start doing it more frequently itll come easier and youll spot them. If youre really stuck use tone and make up something that fits with ur argument.

if theres an overarching metaphor/motif i will go for that, i pick out anything that works towards my argument and will provide me w a unique perspective each time.

Sunny1422

HSC
the ones u can generally find really fast are the pov -first person, inclusive language, short syntax, enjambment in poetry, similes (like or as is super easy to identify), inclusive language (we, us), direct address (you), deliberate punctuation (..., -), exclamatory sentence!

Just practice reading and looking out for those things, once you start doing it more frequently itll come easier and youll spot them. If youre really stuck use tone and make up something that fits with ur argument.

if theres an overarching metaphor/motif i will go for that, i pick out anything that works towards my argument and will provide me w a unique perspective each time.
wow thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)