😔 Failure is your best teacher! (1 Viewer)

How'd you find today's post?

• ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • ⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

LuqmanA

HSC
NOTE: This was today's edition of ATAR Digest, my weekly newsletter (if you'd like to sign up for free, please email me at Luqmanarabofficial@gmail.com)

----

🧠 Your Mindset is EVERYTHING!
Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change along with it - Steve Maraboli

The greatest differentiator of whether you’ll succeed in achieving your desired ATAR or not, is your mindset.

Your mindset is so important, that even if you were to have the best study techniques, the most comprehensive notes and all the motivation/discipline in the world…

YOU’LL STILL PERFORM BADLY!

And yet, despite it’s importance, students will neglect it completely.

Don’t be like the other students.

In this post, I’ll go over why your mindset is so important and the 3 mindsets to adopt if you want to achieve a high ATAR.

This and the upcoming posts are easily the most important ones of ATAR Digest, so be sure to read through this completely and take some notes!

Table of Contents
  • Your ATAR = Your Mindset
  • Adopt these 3 Mindsets for a 90+ ATAR
    • 1. Autonomous
    • 2. Competitive
    • 3. Growth
  • The only limit is the one you set for yourself

Your ATAR = Your Mindset

Mindset refers to the underlying beliefs and attitudes that shape one’s thoughts, behaviours and responses to challenges.

Your mindset impacts how you think of everything around you.
So, if you have a poor mindset, then the way you approach your studies and year 11/12 as a whole will be poor too.

This is the number 1 difference between a successful and unsuccessful student.

• When successful students face a setback, like doing poorly in an exam, they see this as a chance for growth. They learn from their mistakes, get better and then smash the next exam.
  • But for unsuccessful students, whenever they face a setback they get absolutely destroyed. They throw in the towel. They give up!
This all has to do with their mindsets.

The successful student believes that through failure they can get better and improve. They believe that they need to now put in more work and fix themselves.

The unsuccessful student believes that because they failed, they’re stupid now and can’t achieve a 90+ ATAR.

Your mindset is the foundation of all success. It’s the foundation of your ATAR!

Adopt these 3 Mindsets for a 90+ ATAR

1. Autonomous

The realisation & belief that your EDUCATION and ACHIEVING THAT DESIRED ATAR is at your finger tips!

Although the ATAR number itself is out of your control…

You and you ALONE are in control of how much effort, time, energy and focus you put towards achieving your goals — NOT YOUR TEACHERS OR CLASSMATES.

You need to stop blaming other people.

I am not saying that there is no such thing as a bad teacher, bad school and bad classmates.

I am saying that DESPITE having these bad circumstances, you must believe that you are still the one who has control over it.

Take full responsibility and accountability for everything!

2. Competitive

The ATAR is a rank and is therefore highly competitive.

So, in order to score a ‘90+ ATAR’, you need to beat 90% of other students.

How do you beat these other students?

Be competitive!

You should look at other students and (mentally) say that you’re going to destroy them in the next assessment task. That you’re going to rank 1st!

Outwork everyone!
When you have this mindset, the work and effort you put in is next level.

And if you want to come out on top and achieve a 90+ ATAR, then you’ll need to be doing next level things!

3. Growth

The belief that your abilities and intelligence can be developed and improved over time through dedication, hard work and perseverance.

Just because you don’t understand something now, it doesn’t mean you won’t forever.

Just because you are terrible at maths, it doesn’t make you stupid!

It just means that you haven’t properly learned it yet and you need to practice more.

Don’t limit yourself by thinking that you’re ‘stupid’ or that other people are smarter than you.

Truly believe that you can achieve anything in life and that you can win in anything that you do - no matter how bad you’ve been at it in the past.

The only limit is the one you set for yourself

The only person who is stopping you from success is YOU.

You have no excuses to not scoring your dream ATAR.

I hear students all the time complaining and saying:

• ‘I don’t go to a good school’
  • ‘My teacher is terrible and doesn’t know how to teach’
  • ‘My subjects don’t scale well’
And so many other statements.

But guess what?

I had ALL of these issues myself, and yet I ended up scoring in the top 2% of the state.

If I had said those things to myself when I was in year 11 and 12, would I have been able to succeed?

No.

Why?

Because when you tell yourself excuses and reasons why you can’t achieve something, you’ve subconsciously set yourself a boundary.

You have LIMITED your own ability to succeed!

So stop making excuses, put in the work and you’ll achieve a 95+ ATAR (or whatever ATAR you desire).

1711923044093.png

Did you find this post helpful?

If so, you'd love ATAR Digest!

Each week I send a 5-minute email like this one directly into your inbox - you get my 97+ ATAR advice, guidance and so much more, completely for free!

Last edited:

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
Each week I send a 5-minute email like this one directly into your inbox - you get my 97+ ATAR advice, guidance and so much more, completely for free!
I like the insight that you provide, especially since it's not like the "textbook answers" that others provide.

Will you be posting your insights on BoS consistently? I'm quite hesitant on handing out my email for various privacy reasons.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
I like the insight that you provide, especially since it's not like the "textbook answers" that others provide.

Will you be posting your insights on BoS consistently? I'm quite hesitant on handing out my email for various privacy reasons.
You could just use another account

LuqmanA

HSC

Hey!

I'm glad you enjoy my content. Yes, I'll post on BoS consistently - absolutely love the community here!

Just to let you know though, your email is COMPLETELY safe with me. But, I understand where you're coming from :)

I'll be posting every week here on BoS.

aqwerty13402

HSC
NOTE: This was today's edition of ATAR Digest, my weekly newsletter (if you'd like to sign up for free, please email me at Luqmanarabofficial@gmail.com)

----

🧠 Your Mindset is EVERYTHING!
Once your mindset changes, everything on the outside will change along with it - Steve Maraboli

The greatest differentiator of whether you’ll succeed in achieving your desired ATAR or not, is your mindset.

Your mindset is so important, that even if you were to have the best study techniques, the most comprehensive notes and all the motivation/discipline in the world…

YOU’LL STILL PERFORM BADLY!

And yet, despite it’s importance, students will neglect it completely.

Don’t be like the other students.

In this post, I’ll go over why your mindset is so important and the 3 mindsets to adopt if you want to achieve a high ATAR.

This and the upcoming posts are easily the most important ones of ATAR Digest, so be sure to read through this completely and take some notes!

Table of Contents
  • Your ATAR = Your Mindset
  • Adopt these 3 Mindsets for a 90+ ATAR
    • 1. Autonomous
    • 2. Competitive
    • 3. Growth
  • The only limit is the one you set for yourself

Your ATAR = Your Mindset

Mindset refers to the underlying beliefs and attitudes that shape one’s thoughts, behaviours and responses to challenges.

Your mindset impacts how you think of everything around you.
So, if you have a poor mindset, then the way you approach your studies and year 11/12 as a whole will be poor too.

This is the number 1 difference between a successful and unsuccessful student.

• When successful students face a setback, like doing poorly in an exam, they see this as a chance for growth. They learn from their mistakes, get better and then smash the next exam.
  • But for unsuccessful students, whenever they face a setback they get absolutely destroyed. They throw in the towel. They give up!
This all has to do with their mindsets.

The successful student believes that through failure they can get better and improve. They believe that they need to now put in more work and fix themselves.

The unsuccessful student believes that because they failed, they’re stupid now and can’t achieve a 90+ ATAR.

Your mindset is the foundation of all success. It’s the foundation of your ATAR!

Adopt these 3 Mindsets for a 90+ ATAR

1. Autonomous

The realisation & belief that your EDUCATION and ACHIEVING THAT DESIRED ATAR is at your finger tips!

Although the ATAR number itself is out of your control…

You and you ALONE are in control of how much effort, time, energy and focus you put towards achieving your goals — NOT YOUR TEACHERS OR CLASSMATES.

You need to stop blaming other people.

I am not saying that there is no such thing as a bad teacher, bad school and bad classmates.

I am saying that DESPITE having these bad circumstances, you must believe that you are still the one who has control over it.

Take full responsibility and accountability for everything!

2. Competitive

The ATAR is a rank and is therefore highly competitive.

So, in order to score a ‘90+ ATAR’, you need to beat 90% of other students.

How do you beat these other students?

Be competitive!

When you have this mindset, the work and effort you put in is next level.

And if you want to come out on top and achieve a 90+ ATAR, then you’ll need to be doing next level things!

3. Growth

The belief that your abilities and intelligence can be developed and improved over time through dedication, hard work and perseverance.

Just because you don’t understand something now, it doesn’t mean you won’t forever.

Just because you are terrible at maths, it doesn’t make you stupid!

It just means that you haven’t properly learned it yet and you need to practice more.

Don’t limit yourself by thinking that you’re ‘stupid’ or that other people are smarter than you.

Truly believe that you can achieve anything in life and that you can win in anything that you do - no matter how bad you’ve been at it in the past.

The only limit is the one you set for yourself

The only person who is stopping you from success is YOU.

You have no excuses to not scoring your dream ATAR.

I hear students all the time complaining and saying:

• ‘I don’t go to a good school’
  • ‘My teacher is terrible and doesn’t know how to teach’
  • ‘My subjects don’t scale well’
And so many other statements.

But guess what?

I had ALL of these issues myself, and yet I ended up scoring in the top 2% of the state.

If I had said those things to myself when I was in year 11 and 12, would I have been able to succeed?

No.

Why?

Because when you tell yourself excuses and reasons why you can’t achieve something, you’ve subconsciously set yourself a boundary.

You have LIMITED your own ability to succeed!

So stop making excuses, put in the work and you’ll achieve a 95+ ATAR (or whatever ATAR you desire).

View attachment 42818

Did you find this post helpful?

If so, you'd love ATAR Digest!

Not him holding me accountable :cry: :jawdrop:

tgone

HSC
tldr if you think you can do better you will RAHHHHH

LuqmanA

HSC
if u don't mind, do u mind telling ur ranks throughout higschool? were u always at the top throughout year 12?
My final ranks were 1,1,1,1,2.

However, this wasn't always the case. I wasn't always at the top.

For instance, in English I was placed in top 10 after my first assessment. However, I ended up climbing the ranks to come 1st.

For another subject of mine, I was top 5-6, then climbed up to rank 2nd.

For the rest, I believe I either fluctuated between 1st and 2nd, or I just stayed 1st (don't exactly remember).

HSC
N/A

For instance, in English I was placed in top 10 after my first assessment. However, I ended up climbing the ranks to come 1st.

For the rest, I believe I either fluctuated between 1st and 2nd, or I just stayed 1st (don't exactly remember).
Very talented 🙌

tgone

HSC
im interested in why ur doing law and physics, seems like an odd combo ngl
i do research with usyd school of physics and doing literature review its so clear that innovation in society is stopped primarily by policy and funding rather than actual research limitations, so i got interested in the legal/policy side of things and got very interested in law from there, basically law and physics and both passions and would be happy to have a career in either or, the dream is IP law since it has the possibility to involve both

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i do research with usyd school of physics and doing literature review its so clear that innovation in society is stopped primarily by policy and funding rather than actual research limitations, so i got interested in the legal/policy side of things and got very interested in law from there, basically law and physics and both passions and would be happy to have a career in either or, the dream is IP law since it has the possibility to involve both
thats amazing! i hate how everyone has their career life figured out and i have no clue

did you do law from the start or did u pick it up later on in uni? ur atar is enough for usyd ofc but ig the transfer requirement is different.

tgone

HSC
thats amazing! i hate how everyone has their career life figured out and i have no clue

did you do law from the start or did u pick it up later on in uni? ur atar is enough for usyd ofc but ig the transfer requirement is different.
my original degree was BSc(Physics) & BAS(Chemistry), not law as you mightve figured from the chronology of my response above-- I did transfer into law yes, but i was already pretty interested in it so it wasn't like a big spontaneous decision.

i'm not entirely sure about transfer reqs since i had .95 and a HD wam anyway so i kinda just assumed i was gonna make it and didn't really look (humble flex but not sure how else to illustrate the point LOL) BUT afaik the transfer requirement is a) 80+ WAM in your first degree OR b) if your atar is better they look at that instead (probably not the case for most people transferring though)

that being said i don't think 80+ WAM is a hard cutoff as i've heard people transferring in with lower, i guess on the fringe cases they look holistically at your whole atar, wam, and subjects you took in first year

rubypinky:)

HSC

wowo, was your cohort big? what were ur subjeccts?

Tryingtodowell

HSC
N/A
My cohort was decent size - fluctuated between subjects.

My subjects were: Math standard 2, English standard, PDHPE, biology and software design & development.
no advanced math at least 😡no english advanced at least 😔

tgone

HSC
Nope :)

Subjects don’t matter.

To be fair, I did try to change, but I was too late.

Also, I’ve done Math advanced already in University.
absolutely support your overall message but subjects definitely do matter, while you should definitely not choose subjects based on scaling, it is an unfortunate reality that the highest scaled marks (aside from the obvious near-100 in the lower courses) will be awarded to the better scaling subjects, namely sciences and all the extension subjects

of course if you do high scaling subjects and you do rubbish that won't save you, so you're almost always better off doing the subjects you're better at/more interested in

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)