1 related material or 2 (1 Viewer)

stormz89

HSC
what the, well our school recieved one. Probably last years one then.... god damn it they tricked us :(

HSC
stormz89 said:
what the, well our school recieved one. Probably last years one then.... god damn it they tricked us :(
it's okay, you're still allowed to use it, it's just that it may be looked down on a little because you've used last years' texts rather than looking for your own. don't worry though, heaps of people at my school still used it.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
tau281290 said:
Rofl? You used KL as ur related text ...... LoL!

So when you do ur module C, r u ganna use ur journeys text as your related texts? hah
coz.. you SO use rm in KL right? lawl.
Anyway. Our school told us to use three. I was haha yeah no.
To the OP: I don't know what your teachers were on, but as they were getting rid of the BOS Stimulus booklet, it was always inevitable that they'd ask for more than one rm.

HSC
Newie22 said:
We got told to do one, lucky though when I went in there and saw 2 I thought of King Lear as another text and used that. Definitely corrupt bulls*it though!
im pretty sure that if your studying king lear your not allowed to use it as a related text

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
We were always told better to learn 2 in detail than 3 so ive always had 2 related texts.
However the exam did specifically in capital letters ask you to refer to two texts so i guess thats what they expect.

dp624

HSC
tacogym27101990 said:
im pretty sure that if your studying king lear your not allowed to use it as a related text
they wouldn't know

stormz89

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
it's okay, you're still allowed to use it, it's just that it may be looked down on a little because you've used last years' texts rather than looking for your own. don't worry though, heaps of people at my school still used it.
well that sucks, so I go to a school with teachers who gave up on us, accuse me of cheating etc and they give us material that could possibly be looked down on. If I don't get a good mark I'm so going to pissed off.

namburger

Noob Member
HSC
jessi90 said:
i hope the people with one related text lose at least 3-4 marks
I hope you lose all your marks for being such a bloody tool

stormz89

HSC
dp624 said:
they wouldn't know
if its a prescribed text, they will probably know. English teachers know all the prescribed text. Unless you get a non english teacher marking it.

proringz

HSC
With the removal of the stimulus booklet this year, it was pretty obvious they were going to ask for two related material, in substitution of one stimulus text.
Since the question asked specifically for two related material, I'm guessing that people who only do one related will get high band 5 range max. Technically, you're not answering the question if you only do one.

shanks27

HSC
in previous years it was 1 related, prescribed and 1 from stimulas booklet. BUT this year they changed it to just your prescribed and 2 related. the question said "and TWO other related texts" so i think if u only did one u will probs loose 3-4 marks cos am missing an entire text. For your prescribed u can do 1, 2, 3... so on poems, it doesn't matter, just if u do 1 u had to do it in alot of detail, but if u did 3 or even 4 u still have to some sense and couldn't jst be really brief. thats basically what our teacher said before the exam

HSC
in our half-yearly we had to use three, two in the trial. we were told that we would need two since the stimulus was taken out. one of my friends only managed to cover her prescribed and one related before running out of time.

well that sucks, so I go to a school with teachers who gave up on us, accuse me of cheating etc and they give us material that could possibly be looked down on. If I don't get a good mark I'm so going to pissed off.
it really sucks that you school is like that... but as long as you did a good analysis and answered the question you'll still get a good mark (plus, think of the people whose schools didn't even tell them they needed two... ouch). you can't go back now, so just make up for it on the modules :)

EDIT I: to all the people saying you'd lose 3-4 marks for only having one related, i don't think they would be that harsh. i mean that's almost an ENTIRE third of the possible marks. surely one related wouldn't be worth that much.

EDIT II: never mind. since the weighting of material should be PT: 50%, RT1: 25%, RT2: 25%, that comes to roughly 3.75, which would be about four marks.

Last edited:

stormz89

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
in our half-yearly we had to use three, two in the trial. we were told that we would need two since the stimulus was taken out. one of my friends only managed to cover her prescribed and one related before running out of time.

it really sucks that you school is like that... but as long as you did a good analysis and answered the question you'll still get a good mark (plus, think of the people whose schools didn't even tell them they needed two... ouch). you can't go back now, so just make up for it on the modules :)

and to all the people saying you'd lose 3-4 marks for only having one related, i don't think they would be that harsh. i mean that's almost an ENTIRE third of the possible marks. surely one related wouldn't be worth that much.
True, I still had 2 related text. I blame BOS, they shouldn't taken out the stimulus, they obviously stuffed up half the people.

EDIT: Yeah you wouldn't lose 3-4 marks for not doing another related text, especially if ALOT of people did it, because the marking guidelines are based on how well people did, if alot of people didn't do one related text, they may consider changing the marking guidelines to "at least one related text"

And I'll probably just pass the other modules, hard to remember 3 essays. In detail.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The last time at least TWO related texts were asked for an Area of Study was way in back 2001 where it was worded "and related texts of your own choosing" (the plural in texts indicating more than one) and there was a comment from the marking centre that said many failed to recognise that more than one related text was required.

The reason it's TWO related texts this year is because another related text has to replace the Stimulus booklet text which was required in previous years. So essentially you are writing the same number of texts as anyone in previous years. This the fact that two related texts were required should come as no surprise.

So, if the question did specify at least two related texts, then you will be penalised if you do not satisfy that requirement. If there are many people who wrote about one related text only, I'd imagine that would be a point stressed in notes from the marking centre in future. What's quite shocking is that some teachers say that one related text is all that is needed...

Sam(uel)

HSC
I did the one prescribed and two related texts. I was never told anything otherwise.. Was it mandatory to use a stimulus text from other years?

HSC
stormz89 said:
True, I still had 2 related text. I blame BOS, they shouldn't taken out the stimulus, they obviously stuffed up half the people.
i can understand why they did it, but evidently they didn't do it very effectively if some schools didn't tell their students. i find it hard to believe they didn't know.

EDIT: Yeah you wouldn't lose 3-4 marks for not doing another related text, especially if ALOT of people did it, because the marking guidelines are based on how well people did, if alot of people didn't do one related text, they may consider changing the marking guidelines to "at least one related text"
i just re-edited my post again, to say that numerically one could be worth around 4 marks, but i honestly doubt that will translate into the marking critera. it just seems too harsh... too bad people didn't know they could use texts from section 1.

And I'll probably just pass the other modules, hard to remember 3 essays. In detail.
i know what you mean. i have a fairly good memory but i'm only memorising one, quotes and techniques for the others.

I did the one prescribed and two related texts. I was never told anything otherwise.. Was it mandatory to use a stimulus text from other years?
no, don't worry. it was taken from the stimulus. it's better not to have used a stimulus text, but not the end of the world if you used it well.

stormz89

HSC
I still stand by my edit.

its the same with every other question in any subject, if no one gets a question correct it becomes scrapped from the marking.

Especially in maths 2+ unit where no one gets the answer for the last question correct.

dp624

HSC
stormz89 said:
if its a prescribed text, they will probably know. English teachers know all the prescribed text. Unless you get a non english teacher marking it.
As in, they wouldn't know if you had done them or not for another section.

stormz89

HSC
dp624 said:
As in, they wouldn't know if you had done them or not for another section.
true but if you know the text so well and it is a prescribed text, they will just put two and two together without any questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)