10 units- whats the big deal? (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
catherinet said:
wow, mate...
That many major works is like a suicide attempt spanned over 12 months.

Keep either history or maths, and just have it as a back up.
yeah - drop either maths OR history. then pick up EE2. If you like EE2 and are good at it THEN drop down to 10 units. Dropping to 10 without even trying EE2 is just reckless.

savio23q

Band
HSC
Rageeb said:
yeah - drop either maths OR history. then pick up EE2. If you like EE2 and are good at it THEN drop down to 10 units. Dropping to 10 without even trying EE2 is just reckless.
I agree. If I were you, I'd keep general maths. It's not a hard subject at all if you practice enough and understand the basic concepts. A band 5 or 6 is not hard to achieve given you put some effort in. Oh and like someone else already suggested, there's no essays or content to memorise so it's a break from all the englishy subjects you have. One other thing that can be to your advantage is that general maths requires a fair bit of literacy skills (well, moreso than 2 unit) and that could benefit you since you do english extention 2.

That's just my 2 cents. :)

whitey9999

HSC
N/A
Yeh i think its pretty risky to do 10 units but thats just me. At our school u cant do Extension 2 in a subject unless u have 10 units without the extra from Extension 2. Mainly in Maths though.

This really f**ked up a bloke at my school who did 12 units including Ext 2 Maths and Physics. He just bludged physics and didnt want to do it but then he got dropped from Ext 2 Maths after the trials i think. He didnt really do the physic trial and got a low mark. Now he is kinda fked coz of that.

My two cents is that if ur going well in Ext 2 and can actually do the past HSC stuff then yeh do it but if u cant id do at least 12. And u never know u could screw up one test and therefore u have a back up thats what i was always told

ape.lauren

HSC
hey im in the same boat.

i get its a risk-but there is heaps of hype about it.

ten units is awesome.

HSC
Hey Lemon, you know what I think-- do your 10 units :) Your MWs look promising, doesn't seem as if you'll put them off until the last week or something silly like that, and you'll have lots of time to study with all the frees. Seriously, I think it will be worse for you to take maths or history now, after you've expended all this emotional energy trying to get rid of it: every time you're in the class you'll just be so pissed off at having to be there, it'll make you unhappy. And that'll just impact the rest of your classes. Negativity not good :D

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Rageeb said:
Well, it's not that i havent 'tried' EE2. I sort of cheated and started in the holidays leading up to year 12. Ive got about half a journal full, a decided concept, have written my proposal and have started to devise the MW already. Art i started early as well, and my drama IP is looking pretty sweet right now.

I have alot of spare time to do major works. And ive got a massive headstart on them already, so i'm really quite sure that i don't want to have a 'back-up' option.

The other thing as well is that I'm not aiming for some incredibly high UAI of 99.999943983 or anything. I'm not dumb, and i'm not a genius, and the career I'm wishing to pursue doesn't even REQUIRE a great UAI.

I actually want to do well in year 12 for my own fulfillment rather than to get a stupid ranking.

Sorry, really bitter about whole education system now.

do what you want, but heres a way to shut them up.

do you like music 2? If you do, take up ext music then drop it after one term or keep it that way you'll have 11 and they can't complain then you have a back up.

just a suggestion
We came to the compromise of doing extension music, and i actually really wanted to do it. The school encouraged me, then came back a week later and told me it 'didn't exist'. My parents came in and everything but they won't let me do it.

Hey Lemon, you know what I think-- do your 10 units Your MWs look promising, doesn't seem as if you'll put them off until the last week or something silly like that, and you'll have lots of time to study with all the frees. Seriously, I think it will be worse for you to take maths or history now, after you've expended all this emotional energy trying to get rid of it: every time you're in the class you'll just be so pissed off at having to be there, it'll make you unhappy. And that'll just impact the rest of your classes. Negativity not good
Jess, hey!
I reckon you should give up trying to do science at uni and do a course in psychology. Geez, you're good at consoling me anyway!

Yeah, i really think i will end up doing the 10 units. I havent been going to class all this time anyway, so ill be way behind.
Mwahaha.

SimonLee13

HSC
With 12 units, you have the ability to make an error, after all, we're all carbon based lifeforms.

leoman

HSC
I think it's best with 11 or 12 units.
The way things go, you really can't predict what can happen throughout the year, even if you do get a start on your Majors now.
I was supposedly the favourite with Ext2 and I ended up dropping it.
The subject is challenging and a time vacuum, and requires a LOT of independent work.
Not to say that you won't deliver in those areas, I think it's best to have a couple of just-in-case units. You'll be glad to keep a really easy subject that doesn't require much work to maintain if stuff doesn't work out- such as the Gen Maths. You'll find with a little bit of application, EVERYTHING in the syllabus is learnable. Your ability to keep afloat in a subject like that would reflect a good level of independence when it comes to what's required of you in the Ext2 course.

In the end I did 11 units, having dropped ecos at the end of last year and Ext2 about a term and a half in. In an unexpected turn of events, Ancient History, which I was pretty good at, turned out only getting mid 70s by my Sem2 report, with a shocking rank. It turns out that my trial mark was shite.
So, what I thought to be safe went to hell, and unless I do well in the HSC exam, I can kiss a sweet unit goodbye.
Turns out that even 11 units is a risk, to be honest.

So, to conclude my two cents, I'd recommend doing more than 10 units for two reasons.
One, you may think so but you don't know how well your majors will go, nor your other subjects. Ancient betrayed me somehow.
Two, a change of heart in anything throughout the year can affect your performance. The ability to shave off subjects once you've had a real taste is invaluable, and you may find that a certain subject within your 10 units isn't what you'd hoped it'd be like.

The safety barrier thing is underrated I think, but really without it, I know a lot of people would be far more worried for their UAI, because things can happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)