10 units- whats the big deal? (1 Viewer)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
HONESTLY!

My dean of studies has decided that doing 10 units including 4 unit English is a massive risk.

Okay, I get it. It IS a massive risk. An incredibly massive risk, actually.

But the thing is, i'm willing to take that risk.

I love my subjects (Art, Music, Drama, Adv English & Ext English), and i've been getting 85-95 in all of them. Transitioning from year 11 to year 12, I decided to drop Ancient History and General Maths (was averaging 60-ish in both), and pick up EE2.

And the dean of studies has gone absolutely beserk! I understand this idea of having 'insurance' and 'something to fall back on', but to me, in my circumstances, this doesn't make sense. I was doing badly in the subjects i dropped, because i was bad at them.

Could someone please tell me what is the purpose of doing a subject for the HSC outside your 10 units,when there is no hope you will do well, and you are sitting on comfortably high marks with the ones you wish to undertake for year 12!!

Please, someone enlighten me! I'm dying to know.

*buries self into a corner and slowly dies*

icecreamk3

HSC
lol much! 4english buddies =D im thinking of dropping chem next year so i might have 10u too D:

*ENLIGHTENS*

but,
i'm doing tourism tvet too! HAH D: but at least u have lots and lots and lots of free periods while i slowly die in that corner u were preoccupying ;_;

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
icecreamk3 said:
lol much! 4english buddies =D im thinking of dropping chem next year so i might have 10u too D:

*ENLIGHTENS*

but,
i'm doing tourism tvet too! HAH D: but at least u have lots and lots and lots of free periods while i slowly die in that corner u were preoccupying ;_;
True, I have 17 frees. And seeing that we have 8 periods a day, 40 minutes each.. Thats two and a bit whole days of free-ness!

proringz

HSC
I'm getting quite sick of all the big talk about 'ohhh, 10 units - risky, dangerous, can't get good UAI with 10 units' bullcrap. If there's a subject you know you won't do good in, won't try in, and know for a fact it will not count towards your UAI, why do it? It'll waste your time that you could spend on your other subjects. Some people argue 'oh, but will you?', which is pretty stupid, but anyways, doing 10 units has been the best decision I've ever made.

shaon0

HSC
alex.leon said:
HONESTLY!

My dean of studies has decided that doing 10 units including 4 unit English is a massive risk.

Okay, I get it. It IS a massive risk. An incredibly massive risk, actually.

But the thing is, i'm willing to take that risk.

I love my subjects (Art, Music, Drama, Adv English & Ext English), and i've been getting 85-95 in all of them. Transitioning from year 11 to year 12, I decided to drop Ancient History and General Maths (was averaging 60-ish in both), and pick up EE2.

And the dean of studies has gone absolutely beserk! I understand this idea of having 'insurance' and 'something to fall back on', but to me, in my circumstances, this doesn't make sense. I was doing badly in the subjects i dropped, because i was bad at them.

Could someone please tell me what is the purpose of doing a subject for the HSC outside your 10 units,when there is no hope you will do well, and you are sitting on comfortably high marks with the ones you wish to undertake for year 12!!

Please, someone enlighten me! I'm dying to know.

*buries self into a corner and slowly dies*
It's not a big deal. You're just making it one.

HSC
i do 11 units and i strongly advice that you do what suit you regardless of who says what :)

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
shaon0 said:
It's not a big deal. You're just making it one.
No, it is a big deal. They aren't letting me do what i want! I am being forced to do two empty units that are going to be a complete waste of time!!

shaon0

HSC
alex.leon said:
No, it is a big deal. They aren't letting me do what i want! I am being forced to do two empty units that are going to be a complete waste of time!!
Did you accelerate a subject because you only have 8 units that will count towards your UAI.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
shaon0 said:
Did you accelerate a subject because you only have 8 units that will count towards your UAI.
Year 12 I am doing:

Art
Drama
Music 2
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English

That's 10 units.
And they all count, no?

On top of that they want me to do either Ancient or General Maths, both at which I suck badly.

shaon0

HSC
alex.leon said:
Year 12 I am doing:

Art
Drama
Music 2
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Extension 2 English

That's 10 units.
And they all count, no?

On top of that they want me to do either Ancient or General Maths, both at which I suck badly.
Your best 2units of English count. Hence, you'll need 12 or more units. Maybe that's why your Dean of studies was annoying you.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
Your best 2units of English count. Hence, you'll need 12 or more units. Maybe that's why your Dean of studies was annoying you.
Eh? What are you talking about?

How they calculate UAI is that, they take 2 best units of English and then get the remaining 8 units from the rest of the top 8 units which can also include 2 other units of English...

catherinet

HSC
wow, mate...
That many major works is like a suicide attempt spanned over 12 months.

Keep either history or maths, and just have it as a back up.

HSC
I reckon you really should at least start with 12, even if you're convinced you'll do those 10. Trust me. I dropped like 3 units during year 12 and now i'm with 10. I thought I could handle EE2 too, but its really hard dude.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
my cousin did 10 units with ext 2 english and she was fine, she was trying to recommend me to do 10 units because she said she was better off with only 10 units and she got a decent uai

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
do what you want, but heres a way to shut them up.

do you like music 2? If you do, take up ext music then drop it after one term or keep it that way you'll have 11 and they can't complain then you have a back up.

just a suggestion

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
they want you to do 12 units, so that if you fail one one of them, you have another to back it up.

since your UAI is counted from your best 10 units.

whereas, if you have 10 units, those units alone will be solely counted as your 'best 10 units'.

but if your going to do well in them,
then you'll be fine.

like me, i don't do maths, so im doing 10 units.

if i were to do maths, i'd certainly do 12 units, because im very lazy.

Willy H

HSC
Wasting your time on a subject you dont like and are crap at is really not worth it. I tried it this year and ended up dropping the subject anyway which made half the year pretty much a waste of time. It's not only bad for your marks but it adds unnecessary stress and can make you feel like crap when you keep getting bad marks. If you must choose one, go with maths. Ancient has SO much content it will consume all your time.

And yeah extension 2 is hard, but it's also possibly the greatest subject ever created.

G.e.M.z

HSC
Keep math in my opinion- there isn't content to memorise, essays to practice and it will give your mind a break from all the other english oriented subjects
...Unless of course you absolutely hate math
Drama was my only major work subject but it took up most of my time
You have to be really dedicated to do well
If I spent as much time on ext. math as I did drama I would be getting 85% + in every assessment- oh well... too late for that now

anyways- maybe it would be best to have 12 units and at the beginning of next year drop if you can't handle it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)