12 or 10 units (1 Viewer)

half squat

HSC
Hi ummm i am kind of stuck in deciding whether to 12 units or 10 units. Whats your opinions

speedofsound

HSC
12 means extra security, but also extra, therefore unnecessary work. depends how good you are at your current subjects.

half squat

HSC
my subjects are PHYSICS CHEMISTRY BUSINESS ECONOMICS ENGLISH MATHS 2 UNIT AND EXTENTION MATHS

I enjoy all my subjects except english (but you can't drop that) and i am second in business

benhaddad

HSC
keep 12 then, if you are doing well in what you plan to drop. unless you think dropping something would give you more time for english, and therefore help you get better marks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Keep 12 - you never know, you might have a cold on an exam day and screw up completely - with 10, sure it's less work but the risks... it depends. Are you a gambling man?

sgroves

HSC
if you enjoy the 12 units, then keep them all - you won't find it hard to study the extra bit. If you dont enjoy them all, then get rid of one - its better than having to do more study on something you don't like.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Question, the board of studies only requires you to take 10 units yes? So if you go to a school that 'requires' 12 units in for your HSC year, can they really force you take that extra subject?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
The BoS requires only 10 units be done - the School must abide with the BoS. If they want you to do 12, it's probably due to timetabling and/or severe recommendation. Find out which.

If it's due to timetabling, say you'd love to have a study period in the library to work on assignments.

If it's due to severe recommendation, state your case in wanting to have 10 - if they refuse, threaten to call the BoS.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Keep 12 units if you are going well in all your subjects/can't bear to drop a subject and the workload is fine for you.

But, if the workload is too much or if you are going horribly in a subject compared to the others and greatly dislike the subject/you know it won't count, then drop.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The BoS requires only 10 units be done - the School must abide with the BoS. If they want you to do 12, it's probably due to timetabling and/or severe recommendation. Find out which.

If it's due to timetabling, say you'd love to have a study period in the library to work on assignments.

If it's due to severe recommendation, state your case in wanting to have 10 - if they refuse, threaten to call the BoS.
Yeah, its not for me its for my boyfriends brother. It's due to 'severe recommendation' as you put it. Pretty much he hates ancient and is really bad at it but his school demands 12 units and wont let him drop it. He's just worried about the consequences of making a fuss over it as apparantly his school gets really ancy over students that go against the established norms.

What i really just want to know is whether a school can actually force a student to do 12 units? And if they can't (but want to) can schools take any form of action against students for breaking school policy?

leungz

HSC
12 units although im doing 13 next year

Advanced English, Mathematics, Ancient History, Modern History, History Ext, Economics, Business Studies

HSC
N/A
I'm going to have:

EXT maths 2, STND eng (I do really good in it), physics and engineering, i want to drop SDD, as i also have a 1 unit subject with no ATAR that i'm forced to do, i'd rather have 11 (10 ATAR) than 13 units, what do you guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)