$15 000 - what car would you buy and what year is it?? (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
Actually besides the excel there good quality cars that are inexpensive. Sooo...your just bullshitting your way through this? you betchya!
Good quality?

Pffft.

Living in the "realm of ignorance" - well at least the person who told you that they were "good quality."
One does not get anywhere without insightfulness. Don't expose yourself so willingly to the image portrayed in Hyundai commercials made by smart marketers - or even know-it-all self-titled experts.

I have relatives in the wrecking game and they work alongside people that wreck Hyundais. They are real experts on them. I am merely relaying what they tell me - do you know how many Hyundai engines they move?

Well let's just say that the engines are the most valuable part of the cars as there's always someone who wants to buy one. No one buys a Hyundai engine for performance. No one buys a Hyundai engine for durability. And no one certainly buys a Hyundai engine because they want to - no, they buy them because they need to.

According to Hyundai and similar brands, the substitution for quality is value. And something must be substituted for this level of "value" to be reached. Quality materials, indepth workmanship, consideration of durability - extensive engineering. Ford Fiestas, Holden Barinas, Toyota Echos, Honda Jazz - the list goes on - can't match the price of Hyundais because they are built properly.

With the reduction of the preceding - materials, workmanship, durability, engineering - comes the reduction of price. Also with the reduction of the preceding, comes the reduction of the generic term: quality.

But they don't tell you that in the fine print down the bottom.
... enough "bullshit" for you, 'DaddyK'? That was rhetorical, by the way. No point trying to talk to someone who is living in the so called "realm of ignorance". Say hi to the "truth fairies" for me!

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Well, we actually own an excel and i drive it because its manual, and its not a bad little car, quality of the exterior is only what you would expect, sure some things break, the interior is minimal but the thing goes no worries, we've had no problems with it at all, and its pretty old. My tafe teacher (automotive mechanical) Drives an accent, and he's been around cars for about 50 years, and he thinks there good little cars, he obviously wouldn't be driving one if they weren't. So, i don't agree with your opinions of "truth". How bout you get some first hand experience with them instead of listening to your un-immediate family.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
Well, we actually own an excel and i drive it because its manual, and its not a bad little car, quality of the exterior is only what you would expect, sure some things break, the interior is minimal but the thing goes no worries, we've had no problems with it at all, and its pretty old. My tafe teacher (automotive mechanical) Drives an accent, and he's been around cars for about 50 years, and he thinks there good little cars, he obviously wouldn't be driving one if they weren't. So, i don't agree with your opinions of "truth". How bout you get some first hand experience with them instead of listening to your un-immediate family.
Get some first hand experience with Hyundais?

As thrilling as it sounds, I'd rather not.

Thanks for the, umm, advice, but. I'll definately stop listening to my uncles now when they tell me another story of a dud Hyundai - "pfffft they're lying! What do they know??" Hey! If that's the DaddyK way then I cannot possibly go wrong.

My dad is very close to getting an MY05 WRX and it's not like I'm going to try and talk him into a Tiburon with its latitude engine cover on an longitude engine - "rice rice baby".

DaddyK, I'm only stirring the pot, mate. :) That's why I come to this shabby forum... :p So rather than take everything I say with a pinch of salt, take everything I say with a pinch of jest!

sally_33

HSC
are mitsubishi fto's bad cars?? can someone tell me in like a non-car-geekish way because i dont understand any of this car talk.. thanks :)

BrenKHS

HSC
sally_33 said:
are mitsubishi fto's bad cars?? can someone tell me in like a non-car-geekish way because i dont understand any of this car talk.. thanks
It's front wheel drive :S. I'd prefer a 4WD or a rear wheel drive then a front one.

I personally don't like the look of them.

There are better cars around for the same price.

SlipStream

HSC
sally_33 said:
are mitsubishi fto's bad cars?? can someone tell me in like a non-car-geekish way because i dont understand any of this car talk.. thanks :)
[normal language]

Well, they're a reasonable sports car from what I hear. As mentioned above, they're front wheel drive which is a drive type used for it's compactness and lower engineering and manufacturing costs. A true sports car is rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, but the FTO appears to be an exception to the rule.

That's all I can really say on the FTO - I'm not much of an FTO buff, never driven one and never been around one before.

If you're looking in the FTO price range, also consider: Nissan Pulsar GTi-R (about $17k - absolutely berko car); Nissan S13 Silvia (about $14k); Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400 (about $16k); R32 Nissan Skyline GTS-T (about $17k); Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (about $15k); and perhaps a few others.

I just had a look, this is what AutoSpeed says of the FTO (i've translated the tech stuff out of it):

If you want a sexy sports coupe with a complementary combination of handling and acceleration, then the Mitsubishi FTO must be on your list. With a 2-litre 'Mitsubishi Innovative valve and Lift Electronic Control System' (MIVEC) heart pounding away under the sloping hood, the FTO can willingly wind out to its 8000 rpm redline. Certainly, it's a keen revver, with maximum power [150kW - good considering it's weight. For comparison sake, a 2000 model Commodore also puts out around 150 kilowatts but weighs about 500 kilos more] arriving at high revs, and maximum torque [200Nm - average but satisfactory considering its weight] at medium revs. These figures would indicate that the engine delivers nothing at low revs - but thanks to MIVEC, it's only slightly dull below 1/3 revs. Relatively short [or quick] gearing in the manual helps to overcome this.

Weighing only 1190kg [a Commodore weighs about 1600kg - 1190kg is above average. The lighter a car, the quicker it accelerates, brakes and the better it handles as well as better fuel economy], the V6 can hustle to 100 km/h in around 8 seconds dead (in Tiptronic automatic form)[8 seconds isn't extreme by today's standards for a sports car, but it will push you into the back of your seat]. A 5-speed manual shortens this travelling time. The ride is not for the faint hearted, though - the MIVEC V6 exhibits teeth-rattling spring and damper rates [so it's quite stiff over bumps and pot holes]. On the other hand, its front-wheel-drive handling is razor-sharp (with mild understeer when pushed [normal for a front wheel drive car]) and the power steering is beautifully direct.

Released in 1994, the FTO's styling is refreshingly daring. Its profile is short and stumpy, and it uses a high waistline and subtly pumped guards to good effect. Its taillights have a sharp appearance and the 'scoop' nose is quite stylish.

[The styling is basically a love it or leave it design]

Inside, the FTO is rated as a 4-seater [probably too small to seat adults comfortably in the back]. Standard fare includes climate control [you can have different air conditioning settings for each passenger], central locking [push a button and both doors lock at once], power windows and mirrors, highly supportive 'race' seats and - get this - green illuminated badges on the door scuff plates [the things underneath the doors when they're closed]. And when you look out over those curved doorsills [bottom of the window], you can't help but think you're riding in a 'little Ferrari'.

[/normal language] :)

Hope that helped out, sally_33. :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
DaddyK said:
Actually besides the excel there good quality cars that are inexpensive. Sooo...your just bullshitting your way through this? you betchya!
Dude, Hyundai are good cars only within the first 5 years from build, then they are shit as, cause they start having big problems mechanically

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
DaddyK said:
Oh ok so you've had a couple have ya?
my mates got one its fucked as it a 98 Excel, a family friend is a mechanic and said to saty clear of Hyundai's older then 5yrs old

sally_33

HSC
SlipStream said:
[normal language]

Well, they're a reasonable sports car from what I hear. As mentioned above, they're front wheel drive which is a drive type used for it's compactness and lower engineering and manufacturing costs. A true sports car is rear wheel drive or all wheel drive, but the FTO appears to be an exception to the rule.

That's all I can really say on the FTO - I'm not much of an FTO buff, never driven one and never been around one before.

If you're looking in the FTO price range, also consider: Nissan Pulsar GTi-R (about $17k - absolutely berko car); Nissan S13 Silvia (about $14k); Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC400 (about $16k); R32 Nissan Skyline GTS-T (about $17k); Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (about $15k); and perhaps a few others.

I just had a look, this is what AutoSpeed says of the FTO (i've translated the tech stuff out of it):

If you want a sexy sports coupe with a complementary combination of handling and acceleration, then the Mitsubishi FTO must be on your list. With a 2-litre 'Mitsubishi Innovative valve and Lift Electronic Control System' (MIVEC) heart pounding away under the sloping hood, the FTO can willingly wind out to its 8000 rpm redline. Certainly, it's a keen revver, with maximum power [150kW - good considering it's weight. For comparison sake, a 2000 model Commodore also puts out around 150 kilowatts but weighs about 500 kilos more] arriving at high revs, and maximum torque [200Nm - average but satisfactory considering its weight] at medium revs. These figures would indicate that the engine delivers nothing at low revs - but thanks to MIVEC, it's only slightly dull below 1/3 revs. Relatively short [or quick] gearing in the manual helps to overcome this.

Weighing only 1190kg [a Commodore weighs about 1600kg - 1190kg is above average. The lighter a car, the quicker it accelerates, brakes and the better it handles as well as better fuel economy], the V6 can hustle to 100 km/h in around 8 seconds dead (in Tiptronic automatic form)[8 seconds isn't extreme by today's standards for a sports car, but it will push you into the back of your seat]. A 5-speed manual shortens this travelling time. The ride is not for the faint hearted, though - the MIVEC V6 exhibits teeth-rattling spring and damper rates [so it's quite stiff over bumps and pot holes]. On the other hand, its front-wheel-drive handling is razor-sharp (with mild understeer when pushed [normal for a front wheel drive car]) and the power steering is beautifully direct.

Released in 1994, the FTO's styling is refreshingly daring. Its profile is short and stumpy, and it uses a high waistline and subtly pumped guards to good effect. Its taillights have a sharp appearance and the 'scoop' nose is quite stylish.

[The styling is basically a love it or leave it design]

Inside, the FTO is rated as a 4-seater [probably too small to seat adults comfortably in the back]. Standard fare includes climate control [you can have different air conditioning settings for each passenger], central locking [push a button and both doors lock at once], power windows and mirrors, highly supportive 'race' seats and - get this - green illuminated badges on the door scuff plates [the things underneath the doors when they're closed]. And when you look out over those curved doorsills [bottom of the window], you can't help but think you're riding in a 'little Ferrari'.

[/normal language] :)

Hope that helped out, sally_33. :)
cool thanks heaps for all that!! yeah im seriously looking at getting one but not for another year because i only just got my Ps in march so yeah..

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
300ZX would be hot
hahahaha, I was just looking at them on carpoint.com.au

see this one. The description is priceless!

WANT TO KNOW WHY I'M SELLING.......MY WIFE LEFT AND THE SETTLEMENT IS NEARING COMPLETION. I OWE HER A FORTUNE AND HAVE TO RELUCTANTLY SELL THE BEST TOY I HAVE EVER OWNED TO HELP PAY THE BITCH OFF. DUE TO THE SPATE OF CAR JACKINGS ON CARS FOR SALE....ALL INSPECTIONS AND ANY TEST DRIVES (NO TYRE KICKERS) WILL BE MADE OUTSIDE ENGADINE POLICE STATION

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)