$15 000 - what car would you buy and what year is it?? (2 Viewers)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
haha sif R31 Skyline.. may as well go for the R32 GTR...

oh LOL at 13 second ED... you may as well buy a normal EB-ED and supercharge it - more like 11 seconds there ;)

I'd also be a bit :S about a WRX thats that cheap, but that would be a cool car to have nonetheless
Actually a basic supercharger kit on a eb through ed would get you down the quater in about 13.4

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
Yeah, you mean as in the Powerdyne stage 1/2 kit for the 3.9l right?

Last edited:

SlipStream

HSC
"wicked clown", you have clearly never driven an R31 Skyline of any spec. The RB30E has an addictive torque curve that has to be driven to be appreciated. ;) The chassis isn't really stiff enough for oversteer (maybe the HR31 coupes but definately not the sedans), but once you get used to the snap tendency of the LSD it becomes a safe (and fun) car to throw sideways.

R32 GT-R for fifteen grand? Pffft - shows what you know. :p And you wouldn't get an n/a 4.0L Falcon to pull 13s unless it was race spec'd. Flat to mid 14s at the most. DaddyK, turbocharging the Falcon 4.0L proves to be a bitch (read: possible but expensive, wouldn't do it for under $15k)- even though the compression ratio is suited to a forced induction application (as well as the stroke); you'd be better off getting a s/c kit. XR6: $7500; Mods: $7500 (incl. a vortech supercharger running a low boost set up) and you've got yourself, like you said, a 13 second ride.

"wicked clown", there are WRXs to be found for circa $15k. You need only to look, champ. I went to one site and found 2 straightaway for around $15k - early models, of course, like I originally said - but WRXs nonetheless. And they weren't suss examples, either. Take a look. I bet I could talk that bloke down to $15k - he's desperate. Word the email correctly and bam, a great WRX for $15k. Don't like wagons? Here's a sedan - although the mileage is too high for my liking. Not the point - it's under $15k and that's whats important.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
argh wagon :/ yeah there are some real bargains on carsales, I know that. I just looked and found a 93 GX with a 96 WRX engine for $14500

I have driven a VL Turbo and a N/A VL, the turbo has a LSD, and weighs less than the R31 with the same engine. With lowered suspension and new shocks, it was a really fun car to drive. Since the N/A was a calais with stock suspension it was a bit rubbery round the corners, but still went pretty hard. Not to mention that the VL looks about a million times better than the skyline as well.

I was going to say about an 11 or even probably a 13 sec falcon, that you would need some major driveline changes, or at least gearbox and LSD.

I have seen a 1988 R32 GTR on carsales for $15k, it was fairly stock apart from the exhaust. There are a couple on there for $18500 right now.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
SlipStream said:
"wicked clown", you have clearly never driven an R31 Skyline of any spec. The RB30E has an addictive torque curve that has to be driven to be appreciated. ;) The chassis isn't really stiff enough for oversteer (maybe the HR31 coupes but definately not the sedans), but once you get used to the snap tendency of the LSD it becomes a safe (and fun) car to throw sideways.

R32 GT-R for fifteen grand? Pffft - shows what you know. :p And you wouldn't get an n/a 4.0L Falcon to pull 13s unless it was race spec'd. Flat to mid 14s at the most. DaddyK, turbocharging the Falcon 4.0L proves to be a bitch (read: possible but expensive, wouldn't do it for under $15k)- even though the compression ratio is suited to a forced induction application (as well as the stroke); you'd be better off getting a s/c kit. XR6: $7500; Mods: $7500 (incl. a vortech supercharger running a low boost set up) and you've got yourself, like you said, a 13 second ride.

"wicked clown", there are WRXs to be found for circa $15k. You need only to look, champ. I went to one site and found 2 straightaway for around $15k - early models, of course, like I originally said - but WRXs nonetheless. And they weren't suss examples, either. Take a look. I bet I could talk that bloke down to $15k - he's desperate. Word the email correctly and bam, a great WRX for $15k. Don't like wagons? Here's a sedan - although the mileage is too high for my liking. Not the point - it's under $15k and that's whats important.

Actually i said the 3.9 ltr, and it is quite affordable, deffinately under or at 15 k.

SlipStream

HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
argh wagon :/ yeah there are some real bargains on carsales, I know that. I just looked and found a 93 GX with a 96 WRX engine for $14500

I have driven a VL Turbo and a N/A VL, the turbo has a LSD, and weighs less than the R31 with the same engine. With lowered suspension and new shocks, it was a really fun car to drive. Since the N/A was a calais with stock suspension it was a bit rubbery round the corners, but still went pretty hard. Not to mention that the VL looks about a million times better than the skyline as well.

I was going to say about an 11 or even probably a 13 sec falcon, that you would need some major driveline changes, or at least gearbox and LSD.

I have seen a 1988 R32 GTR on carsales for $15k, it was fairly stock apart from the exhaust. There are a couple on there for $18500 right now.
The Skyline looks better than a VL if you ask me. But that's just my opinion. :)

And a GT-R for around $15k? Now that's suss. Very suss. I would expect to pay at least double that for one that hasn't been either a) stolen, b) imported or c) thrashed by some 17 year old. And in pristine condition. Same applies to the rexy, I wouldn't spend under $20k on one but ... that's just my opinion.

Daddyk said:
Actually i said the 3.9 ltr, and it is quite affordable, deffinately under or at 15 k.
Originally, I was talking about an EBII S XR6 which saw the introduction of the Tickford-tickled 4.0L SOHC I6. Sure you can turbo a Falcon donk - irrespective of its size - for under $7.5k, but the ongoing cost of ironing out the creases (detonation, negative boost, plumbing, driveline, etc etc etc) would far exceed the cost of a simple blower.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
Slipstream, remember that the original post didn't specify what condition the car had to be in ;)

Getting a thrashed car isn't a big thing for me, depending on how many k's it had done, and time since last rebuild, it be getting it rebuilt for me to thrash :D

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
tomekz said:
Right now i would most likely AU II ghia (~16k rite now) but another 6-12 months or so i would get a BA MK I XT or futura.
I don't think you'll be able to get a BA for $15K for 3 or so years at least

SlipStream

HSC
golfstick said:
I don't think you'll be able to get a BA for $15K for 3 or so years at least
In 12 months there will be ex-fleet BA XTs (Mk I) going for around $15k. Don't know about Futuras, though - they'd be in the low 20s.

I just jumped onto carsales (ahhh, isn't it helpful? :p) and found three of four BAs for under $20k. Here's one. They'll easily be $15k in 12 months - if lower - and in three years some will start falling below $10k as the newer Falcons are released like Orion, etc.

I am such a pain in the arse. Be careful what you say around me. :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I would buy a solar car made in 2020.

Last edited:

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
yeah the BA isn't that old, and even accounting for the fact that they depreciate faster than Commodores, that seems dodgy. Ack who'd want an XT in any case ;p

tomekz

HSC
DaddyK said:
I agree, sif not buy an xr8? lol.
Oh i would love a BA XR8. maybe even a Typhoon. Although i dont think it would be easy to afford running costs for a Powerful V8 and an I6 Turbo.

BTW slipstream: Normally futuras are an extra grand or two higher then an XT with about the same condition.. In a year they will probably (hopefully) be around 15k, although there isnt that much of a difference between the XT and futura.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
no....any BA that is under 20 k right now, is a POS.
Why? The BA marked a massive step forward in quality and engineering for Ford. Don't underestimate it. BA's under $20k that are POS would be ones that come with a white slip (i.e. repairable write offs), or perhaps ones with a couple of dents and scratches - merely superficial. The only dodgy cars between $15k and $20k would be cars 5 years and older where other models of their kind are resaling for $30k plus. Like, say, an R32 GT-R 'liner. Dodddddgy.

Why buy an XT? I can think of plenty of reasons - mainly being it's the cheapest way into a BA. And a BA is a reasonable quality, powerful and modern sedan that is not yet old enough to start challenging its own reliability. Good family car for a new family with a budget of $20k-ish who can't afford a $35k MkII XT.

A BA XR8? Don't be stupid. We're talking about $15k cars here! A $15k BA XR8? Now THAT would be dodgy. I'd rather dish out $35k for a MkI XR6T. *drools* Except the insurance would force me to live in the backseat...

tomekz said:
BTW slipstream: Normally futuras are an extra grand or two higher then an XT with about the same condition.. In a year they will probably (hopefully) be around 15k, although there isnt that much of a difference between the XT and futura.
The Futura is basically just an optioned up XT but cheaper than an optioned up XT. It sits - pricing wise - right alongside the atmo XR6, and quite a few fleets have opted to buy the similarly spec'd XR6 over the Futura because the XRs hold their value stronger. That's why there are atmo XR6s everywhere.

The Futura and XT will sit game ball in terms of value in about 5 years, but until then the Futura will hold about 15% more value than the XT. In other words, in 2010 you should be able to scoop up a Futura for the same price as an XT.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
HSC
SlipStream said:
Why? The BA marked a massive step forward in quality and engineering for Ford. Don't underestimate it. BA's under $20k that are POS would be ones that come with a white slip (i.e. repairable write offs), or perhaps ones with a couple of dents and scratches - merely superficial. The only dodgy cars between $15k and $20k would be cars 5 years and older where other models of their kind are resaling for $30k plus. Like, say, an R32 GT-R 'liner. Dodddddgy.

Why buy an XT? I can think of plenty of reasons - mainly being it's the cheapest way into a BA. And a BA is a reasonable quality, powerful and modern sedan that is not yet old enough to start challenging its own reliability. Good family car for a new family with a budget of $20k-ish who can't afford a $35k MkII XT.

A BA XR8? Don't be stupid. We're talking about $15k cars here! A $15k BA XR8? Now THAT would be dodgy. I'd rather dish out $35k for a MkI XR6T. *drools* Except the insurance would force me to live in the backseat...

The Futura is basically just an optioned up XT but cheaper than an optioned up XT. It sits - pricing wise - right alongside the atmo XR6, and quite a few fleets have opted to buy the similarly spec'd XR6 over the Futura because the XRs hold their value stronger. That's why there are atmo XR6s everywhere.

The Futura and XT will sit game ball in terms of value in about 5 years, but until then the Futura will hold about 15% more value than the XT. In other words, in 2010 you should be able to scoop up a Futura for the same price as an XT.
No, i still stand by my remark, your idea's are just a bunch of theories, you couldn't get a quality BA for under 20g. As for the xr8 i wasn't serious, of course i know you can't get one for/at 15k.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)