2002 UAI's (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soz

Originally posted by kaseita
hehe minai. maybe I shoulda memorised essays!
but I don't think I'd have the patience to do that!

anyway, my marks good enough to get into uni, so I'm happy!

guess I'll be seeing quite a few of you guys in uni - should be fun ;)

I just got back from taiwan - twas pretty good! lots of fun, and the comp stuff there is mad! but yea, anyway, I enjoyed myself - helped use up some of that free time you guys seem to have trouble using up
hmm- memorising essays are good if u got the question (which our teacher kindly hinted to us every now and then- and i dont know whether to thank him or kick him )
but otherwise knowing ur stuff is much betta - and i have a baaad memory

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
which is why certain schools perform outstandingly in english each year ... because their teachers know what they teaching ... its just that the majority, like us, dont have teachers who know what they are doing ...

melissella

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mp3mojo
soz, i didnt mean higher marks
i mean alot of ppl got high UAIs, so u reckon this yr's UAI cut-offs will rise dramatically?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no ... the same amounts of people got the uais ... that is top 1% got 99+ ... top 10% got 90+ and so forth ... the cut-off *should* be very similar ... or it better be ...

remember, it also depends on the demand for the course

my uai= 88.8 (its pretty easy to remember...very repetitive)

people at my school last year (01) must have been dumb... only 4 got over 90, while this year heaps did; and when i put my marks in lazseeker, i would have gotten 93 last year, meaning that even MORE people would have gotten >90 last year if it was us doing it... how interesting.

and speaking of memorising essays, i memorised an entire 'change' essay for the hsc, and got there to find that we had to write an article. grrrr.

kate

i also memorised a change essay only to find it was an article.. ended up writing out the essay with a headline.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kate
i also memorised a change essay only to find it was an article.. ended up writing out the essay with a headline.
thats what many many people ended up doing ...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
I had just did an 10 page essay with a title, spaced out paragraphs and all the other features you's normally see in a newspaper article.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Momorised essays are usually pretty easy to shape into another text type...i memorised a change essay and was still able to use most of it, and still followed the idea of a feature article. (well, I think I did anyway...)

I think memorising essays for english are a good idea because the questions are pretty predictable, but make sure you practise shaping the essay to different text types.

kate

I 100% support memorised essays.
Without some kind of idea what your going to write before you go in there's no way you'll score really well. There's not enough time, especially if your competing against a heap of other people with memorised stuff.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I 100% support memorised essays.
Without some kind of idea what your going to write before you go in there's no way you'll score really well. There's not enough time, especially if your competing against a heap of other people with memorised stuff.
I think I love u

lol, yeah I 100% support them too, however, u have to have some kind of flexibility too
(read the posts about memorisation in the Eng Adv forum)

kate

lol, sounds like I'm trying to sell them

I 100% support memorised essays and I'm excited! (insert Big Kev's head here)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
lol, sounds like I'm trying to sell them

I 100% support memorised essays and I'm excited! (insert Big Kev's head here)
well for my prelim half yearly extension english i memorised mah essay cuz the teacher already told us what the question was!!!!:D

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

well for my prelim half yearly extension english i memorised mah essay cuz the teacher already told us what the question was!!!!:D
Lucky you!!! but the downside is you don't get proper practice writing English essays in exam conditions!!!

timmii

sporadic attendee
Hmmmm, I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I hate memorised essays. I mean if you practice enough different essays for a topic often enough, you do develop repeated phrases and you start knowing which points you include most often...but its too much effort and a waste of productive time to actually learn an essay rather than its contents - it also takes away flexibility. Just practice writing lots of essays, and then you won't need to memorise a single generic one.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by timmii
Hmmmm, I'll be the lone voice of dissent and say I hate memorised essays. I mean if you practice enough different essays for a topic often enough, you do develop repeated phrases and you start knowing which points you include most often...but its too much effort and a waste of productive time to actually learn an essay rather than its contents - it also takes away flexibility. Just practice writing lots of essays, and then you won't need to memorise a single generic one.
well.. i've stilll got three terms to figure out my strategy:confused:

tt_j65

HSC
Originally posted by t-i-m-m-y

BAH U STOOPID ADVANCED PPL WHO CHEAT :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
I agree. You should know your stuff well so u don't need to memorise pre-written work

kini mini

HSC
I don't agree with any or you :D

I basically couldn't be bothered doing many practice essays except to improve my writing speed. I learned my points and associated quotes and spat them out again in whatever order best fitted the question . Maybe that's why I only got 91 :p, but really I think getting the one essay stuck in your head is dangerous unless the topic is highly prescriptive. For example, I never had to change my transformations essay structure because all the questions are basically the same.

The important thing to remember is that however you go about achieving it, the state of complete knowledge of every aspect of the topic must be reached by the morning of the exam. You will still be shitting yourself, but unlike most of the people shitting themselves you will do ok :).

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kini mini

I don't agree with any or you :D

I basically couldn't be bothered doing many practice essays except to improve my writing speed. I learned my points and associated quotes and spat them out again in whatever order best fitted the question . Maybe that's why I only got 91 :p, but really I think getting the one essay stuck in your head is dangerous unless the topic is highly prescriptive. For example, I never had to change my transformations essay structure because all the questions are basically the same.

The important thing to remember is that however you go about achieving it, the state of complete knowledge of every aspect of the topic must be reached by the morning of the exam. You will still be shitting yourself, but unlike most of the people shitting themselves you will do ok :).
I totally agree memorising essays are playing with fire!!!! I know so many ppl. who memorised essays and got caught into the trap of writing out their memorised essay and thus not answering the question!!!!!! And then they wondered why they didn't receive the mark they thoght they would!!!!!!!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by tt_j65

BAH U STOOPID ADVANCED PPL WHO CHEAT :mad: :mad: :mad:

you cant help it if the teacher gives you the questions, so you may as well practice it.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by lappang

I totally agree memorising essays are playing with fire!!!! I know so many ppl. who memorised essays and got caught into the trap of writing out their memorised essay and thus not answering the question!!!!!! And then they wondered why they didn't receive the mark they thoght they would!!!!!!!
thats why u have to have a indepth understanding of the text/quotes/themes/etc and what is likely to be asked in the module, therefore u can strategically plan wat u will write in ur general prepared essay - ive been doing that since yr10 and have never been caught out, simply cos I kno wat to expect. So basically, with a prepared essay, u still gotta kno ur stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)