2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

blacksunset

HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

I know I posted this in another thread - but for anyone who wants the facts on what has happened to Australia.. read this.

Based on when Labor was in power and based on the Coalition as of now..
NET GOVERNMENT DEBT
labor: 95.8b
liberal:0!!

average mortgage rates
labor: 12.75%
liberal: 7.15%

real wages growth:
labor: -1.8%
liberal: 21.5%

unemployment rate:
labor: 8.2%
liberal: 4.3%

long term unemployed
labor: 197,800
liberal:71,400

australians in work
labor: 8.3 mil
liberal: 10.5 mil

average inflation:
labor: 5.2%
liberal:2.5%

average household wealth
labor: $136,257
liberal: $348,782

industrial disputes
labor: 193

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

OI, what's the ALP's official youtube channel?

If you search "ALP", "Australian Labor Party" et cetera on the youtube website it comes up with everything but the official username.

:eek:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

blacksunset said:
I know I posted this in another thread - but for anyone who wants the facts on what has happened to Australia.. read this.

Based on when Labor was in power and based on the Coalition as of now..
NET GOVERNMENT DEBT
labor: 95.8b
liberal:0!!

average mortgage rates
labor: 12.75%
liberal: 7.15%

real wages growth:
labor: -1.8%
liberal: 21.5%

unemployment rate:
labor: 8.2%
liberal: 4.3%

long term unemployed
labor: 197,800
liberal:71,400

australians in work
labor: 8.3 mil
liberal: 10.5 mil

average inflation:
labor: 5.2%
liberal:2.5%

average household wealth
labor: $136,257
liberal: $348,782

industrial disputes
labor: 193
No one's interested in specious comparisons that look like they came off the back of a Liberal how-to-vote card. Come back when you have something original to say.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I wonder what it is about progressive parties that put off the same volume of stooges the conservatives invariably attract...

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A

Rudd's a dud. But Howard looks like Elmer Fudd.

AHAHAHA and Mr. Sheen.

Chaser's was pretty shit tonight. Especially 'election watch', it's becoming repetitive.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Murdoch's jumped ship:
The Australian said:
Rudd's smart nation drive

Matthew Franklin, Chief political correspondent KEVIN Rudd has gambled on austerity, boldly underspending John Howard's "reckless" campaign promises.

o PAUL KELLY: ALP wins the high ground on economy
o DENNIS SHANAHAN: Leader displays newfound boldness
Tele said:
Responsible Rudd's future plan
Kevin Rudd thanks Julia Gillard

KEVIN Rudd yesterday launched his campaign with a promise to buy a classroom computer for every high school pupil - announcing policies that would cost $2.3 billion over four years.

* Computers, training: Labor's education revolution
Even Andrew Bolt's calling it for Labor.

The Coalition launch was fucked because (a) it shifted the debate to education, which is NOT a strength and (b) it allowed Rudd to frame the Coalition as economically irresponsible. There is no conceivable way I can see the polls closing now, unless some MAJOR national security crisis crops up in the next week.

In other news, Bob Baldwin's a bargain to win Paterson at $1.50 with most bookmakers, I'm putting $150 down on him later today when my deposit comes through on Sportingbet.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

Triangulum said:
No one's interested in specious comparisons that look like they came off the back of a Liberal how-to-vote card. Come back when you have something original to say.
They probable DID come off the back of a Liberal HTV card.

volition

arr.
HSC

I reckon Turnbull might not win eh, I'm hearing preferences might be kinda essential in the Wentworth electorate.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

He'll hold it on primaries + the few small l liberals who lodge a protest vote with the Greens, but don't want to stray too far from home.

EDIT: Also the residents won't want a byelection.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

The liberals didn't really have much choice at their launch, because the themes they've been hammering for the past month (unions eat babies, interest rates) haven't made any discernible difference in the polls. I think what the education focus was meant to do was neutralise Rudd's advantage in that area - making the voters think that the two parties were basically identical on education - and then hope the logic is "The two parties' policies are the same, let's stick with the safe bet". Unfortunately for the coalition this is flawed, because voters see Rudd as safe and the government hasn't been able to change that. The other problem is that the ALP launch was after the Coalition launch, so they were always going to be able to gazump whatever the coalition promised anyway. And it didn't help that Howard was all "schools should teach kids to read, write, add and subtract". I'm surprised that Rudd didn't make more of that in painting Howard as old-fashioned.

Edit:
withoutaface said:
He'll hold it on primaries + the few small l liberals who lodge a protest vote with the Greens, but don't want to stray too far from home.
Yeah, I agree. I think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup like the 'Battle' for Wentworth was last time.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I still find it really hard to believe that Howard is so stumped. Over a decade of supreme confidence fallen like a stack of cards.
It just doesnt compute that Howard cannot land a convincing blow.
I dont sleep much.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

Howard is in far north Queensland today and:
When confronted by a couple of polar bears (in FNQ?!) the PM of course gave nothing.

The golden rule is don't engage unless you absolutely have to.

Not the [Young Liberals].

Reponding to the climate change concerns of the protesters... the PM's followers unleashed a tirade of abuse.

"You idiot bear, stupid bear!"

"Go back to the wild, stupid bear!"

In the background a few of the PM's experienced media team cringed as the boisterous Liberal locals fought back.
Mature.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

ACNielsen - 54/46.

_____

My election result prediction

TPP: ALP 53.5 / 46.5 Coalition
Primaries: ALP 47, Coalition 42, Greens 6, Others 5
Seats: Labor 85, Coalition 63, Independent 2
Thus in approx 2 weeks time, Kevin Rudd will be invited to form a government and will be sworn in as Australia's 26th Prime Minister.

= Jennifer =

HSC
I just want to say something random here

Howard government's IR campaign the new ad on tv states that unions will create more strikes and make the IR system "go bad"

It should be noted that the reason there were strikes in the past was that legislation allowed for strikes to be taken-and during bargaining periods. Note that the Howard Government's workplace laws reduced the possibility of strikes to occur as often as before so they limited the process through legislation. So just keep that in mind :)

That's all :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
My prediction: 52/48 TPP (4.7% swing to Labor)

Seats to fall:
Macquarie
Kingston
Bonner
Wakefield
Makin
Braddon
Bass
Solomon
Moreton
Lindsay
Eden-Monaro
Dobell
La Trobe
Hasluck

Coalition: 75, ALP: 73, Ind: 2

Either Windsor or Katter (both ex-Nationals) becomes kingmaker for the Coalition in exchange for excessive porkbarrelling of New England/Kennedy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
From Yesterday's Herald -

Meanwhile, a prominent Melbourne businessman, Bill McHarg, is planning a private campaign to dethrone John Howard from Bennelong and make him the first prime minister to lose his seat in almost 80 years. Mr McHarg has taken full-page advertisements in tomorrow's newspapers attacking Mr Howard's environmental record and urging Bennelong voters to place the Prime Minister last on ballot papers.

The campaign is believed to have cost Mr McHarg almost $200,000 and attacks the Howard Government's refusal to ratify the Kyoto Protocol.
Source: Let the voters decide, Newhouse urges Libs (SMH)

The residents of Bennelong are probably enjoying their daily dose of "hi, I'm not from your electorate, but this is what you should know before you vote" by now.

People like Mr McHarg and groups like GetUp! are free to campaign as they see fit (within the bounds of the law, of course), but there's a chance that their attempted interventions from afar may backfire come the election.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)