2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Rudd? (1 Viewer)

Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

• Coalition

Votes: 249 33.3%
  • Labor

Votes: 415 55.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 50 6.7%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 34 4.5%

• Total voters

Providence.

Banned
HSC
N/A
You all knew Kevin Rudd was going to rise to power as prime minister. The slogan "New leadership" is self-explanatory. Kevin Rudd's prime ministry is our dream, our desire, our destiny ! Kevin Rudd is Australia's destiny.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Whoa, that's a lot of homework between then and now.
I'm still processing provisional votes.

Haven't even thought about postal votes.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
McKew's got Bennelong for the long haul. There'll be a fairly substantial sophomore swing to her next time because of the loss of Howard's personal vote, and it won't come into play in subsequent elections unless there's a huge swing to the Coalition.

HSC
Exphate said:
Just as long as she doens't keep dancing in the street like a 'tard its all good-ish.
ReallY? I thought she was a fantastic dancer. Much superior to both Costello and Rudd.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Exphate said:
Just as long as she doens't keep dancing in the street like a 'tard its all good-ish.
But people like her for that. Personally I think she looked hawt when dancing on election night as she said congratulations to Prime Minister Rudd.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think she has a certain older woman charm. But I find any intelligent, classy and affable women pretty sexy.

Though she's not very ripe.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I wouldve nominated the oversized fairy aged teeth personally...

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Re: 2007 Federal Election - Coalition or Labor/Howard or Beazley?

Labor ought to demand another recount.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
http://larvatusprodeo.net/2007/12/20/determined-not-to-get-it/
I caught part of Brian Loughnane’s address to the National Press Club on ABC wee-small-hours last night

In his introduction to Loughnane’s speech, NPC President Ken Randall said Loughnane would give an insider’s view of how the Liberal Party campaign had failed, based on recent Liberal Party post-election polling. What Loughnane delivered was roughly 50% spun analysis - that is, something that purported to be analysis but sounded more like the Liberal Party’s continuing attempts to push their “the voters were just bored with us” line, this time dressed up with a few cherry-picked figures about key demographics. The other 50% was just a re-affirmation of Liberal ideology mixed in with some pretty egregious claims about promises Labor had made to win the election, and the coalition’s obligation to hold Labor to those promises.

Those specific promises that Loughnane identified were:

* To keep grocery prices down
* To keep petrol prices down
* To prevent interest rate rises

Maybe it’s because - like most other voters, as Loughnane admitted - I had my mind made up well before the campaign, I don’t recall any such promises being made. I do recall that during the leaders debate, when the question of interest rates inevitably came up, the only promise on interest rates was John Howard’s repetition of his vacuous promise that interest rates would always be lower under the Liberals than under Labor. Rudd’s counter, a very effective one, was to declare that he was going to be straight with the Australian people: making such a promise would be pointless because there’s no way you could keep it. Or words to that effect.

Whether it’s fair to Loughnane or not, I’m skeptical that the ALP made any such promises. What Loughnane was doing, in fact, was laying the groundwork for creating a public perception that such promises were made so that his colleagues in the Federal Parliament can then hammer Labor at every available opportunity when they find evidence that one or another of these fictitious promises has been broken.

Then, I think, he slipped in some alarmist stuff about the ACTU’s WorkChoices campaign and how that fostered unfounded anxiety about the long-term effects of WorkChoices. To Loughnane this represented the first ever entry of a third force in Australain Politics, willing to spend more than either of the major parties on a political campaign. I guess it slipped his mind that in the months leading up to the official campaign the Howard Government blew a lot of the Consolidated Revenue Fund on “public service announcements” promoting WorkChoices and other intiatives of the Howard Government.

At no time did Loughnane seem to consider the possibility that ... there were any genuine concerns that the Liberal Party might have to address by taking a long hard look at themselves and their “values” - values that Loughnane declared the Liberal Party will be taking to the Australian people at the next election.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Though not as bad as the Coalition's interest rates pledge in 2004, the ALP did create the impression that it would take steps to 'address' the essential costs of living. That they would address such concerns by examining the issues may be a crucial point, but hey, who cares about such a technicality when the Opposition may make the most of the public's expectations?

Though I do not disagree with the claim that it's time for the Liberals to take a long, hard look at themselves, it seems that too many people have ignored the fact that Kevin07 aside, the ALP of today is still the same ALP that existed under the leadership of Simon Crean, Mark Latham and Kim Beazley. For the ALP it was a simple, somewhat superficial change of leadership, not a great act of party renewal and reform, and it would be best if we all kept this in mind.

veridis

droog
HSC
now now, i'm sure they'll suddenly remember it just before the start of the next campaign

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)