HSC
Re: Top 200 Schools - Daily Telegraph

WOOO Danebank class of '08 took our school from 47th to 106th

GOOD WORK.

LOL.

Katieeee

HSC

Yay! Went from 220-something last year to 155th in 08! :)

jet

Banned
HSC

Wow trinity moved up to 131.
Thats a big jump.
And incidentally good for me :D

HSC

Davidson High School = Epic Fail.

07 was about 220 I think, don't want to know what it was this year...

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC

Enobarbus said:
I'm shocked. Why should such a school even be allowed to operate? Such abhorrent practices should be met with the removal of accreditation by the Board.

It's good to want a school to do well. But at some point, compassion and humanity kick in, and you have to realise that students are more than just a statistic. They're actual people.

You say that, as a private school, this institution should be allowed to "do as we wish". Why is it, then, that Malek Fahd Islamic School receives generous funding from governments? It's our money, taxpayers' money. I don't want my tax dollars going to fund a school that flouts any notion of the Aussie fair go, and kicks students out for not performing well.

This is simply unAustralian, and goes against our culture. Any school that receives government payments, Islamic or not, that spits on our Australian values of fairness and inclusion, should pack up and find a campus overseas.

Such small-minded and inhumane values are not welcome in our country.
I can see from your reply that you genuinely want kids to have a 'fair go', and get an equal opportunity, that is all students are entitled to have an equal chance of getting what they want if they put in a 'fair effort'.

However, one thing that has to be stated, that is pretty important is that some students at MFIS simply don't want to work, that is they plainly don't care about school at all. Some take it as a complete joke and cause problems in class and disrupt other kids from learning. These sort of students, if they were to stay at MFIS would pull down the scores of others who really want to get good scores and stay at school. In fact the principal Dr Ali ensures that students who underperform, or get really low are looked into and given chances to improve or at least show some sort of motivation for doing the HSC. The principal is not some sort of phantom dude that grabs students who get scores of less than say 80 and tells them out.

In simple terms, the process is designed to give a 'fair go' to those who put in a 'fair' effort. Why should a student's chances of getting high be ruined by a severely underperforming cohort? You put in the work and you are given great opportunities to excel and accelerate through many avenues, eg/ saturday classes, doing HSC subjects in year 10/11 and SC subjects in year 9. Students who work hard but can't get the results for some spectacular reason are given chances to improve and are rarely kicked out. Many students in fact from MFIS don't perform as well, (and many do).

A person's opinion depends on how they look at this issue. This debate pops up often and a friendly discussion usually results. To say it 'spits on Aussie values' and is 'inhumane' is a bit harsh and slightly sensational, it sounds like it came from some sort of tabloid. ( I like the way you wrote the reply, but not the perspective)

jet

Banned
HSC

kido_1 said:
However, one thing that has to be stated, that is pretty important is that some students at MFIS simply don't want to work, that is they plainly don't care about school at all. Some take it as a complete joke and cause problems in class and disrupt other kids from learning. These sort of students, if they were to stay at MFIS would pull down the scores of others who really want to get good scores and stay at school. In fact the principal Dr Ali ensures that students who underperform, or get really low are looked into and given chances to improve or at least show some sort of motivation for doing the HSC. The principal is not some sort of phantom dude that grabs students who get scores of less than say 80 and tells them out.
I can see what you are saying, though i do think that measures could be taken to improve on this issue. It is rather demeaning to tell a student that they're not good enough to go to actual school.
I really want to do well in my school, and so I try to encourage other people into doing well who dont really care. They have done alot better, and i think its different factors that contribute to this.

The good thing is that the process is being phased out. What more could people ask for?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

at the above post, its not if they're good enough, they just have to try

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC

It is more about putting in the effort rather than natural capability/ability.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

It's a shame to think that some people believe MFIS is specifically targeted because of the "Islamic" label, because that's just rubbish. If any private, public or selective school did the same practice, they would be criticised just as heavily.

jet

Banned
HSC

sorry about that. I didnt mean to say it like it came out.
Its just that if my principal told me that that message is what i'd take out of it.

ZaraKu

HSC

And why am I not surprised that the majority are private/selective schools? Sorry to sound like a whiny bitch but I just dislike being stereotyped as a "no-hope dumbass" cause I go to a non high-ranking public school, it's even worse when I tell people I go to "Crossbow High" (Tomaree High)...

jet

Banned
HSC

ZaraKu said:
And why am I not surprised that the majority are private/selective schools? Sorry to sound like a whiny bitch but I just dislike being stereotyped as a "no-hope dumbass" cause I go to a non high-ranking public school, it's even worse when I tell people I go to "Crossbow High" (Tomaree High)...
Same here. when i tell people what school i go to i get an 'I'm so sorry'.

diametric

HSC

I do not understand the big woop.

People are allowed in unfiltered with no restrictions all throughout high school till yr 10. We all know that the school expects high marks for you to cruise fairly comfortably to yr 12. Every individual, in higher or lower classes have the chance to shine and do well. In some cases, this occurs and students are upped from the lower classes to higher classes.

You have to understand that we have some serious delinquents in our school who do not care about school or the HSC; many of them would file into tradie jobs. Most of these people leave by themselves because of the pressure to perform.

The rest, now, and for the past 2 or so years, have been encouraged to stay; some have been sent to TAFE, some have excelled and done better than the 'bright' class.

A fairly simple solution would be to be selective at entry into high school, HOWEVER, ALL STUDENTS ARE GIVEN A FAIR GO TO PERFORM, and allowed into senior levels, WHEN THEY ARE AGAIN ALLOWED A FAIR GO AND TIME TO SHINE, and when it becomes apparent that these individuals could not give two shits; they may be asked to go TAFE. Even this practice has been eliminated.

In my 12 years at MFIS I have seen few individuals kicked out on academic basis; most prefer to leave because they 'can't stand the heat' and others are let go due to behavioural issues and problems that do not fit in with the school's rules and policies.

EDIT: I think it is noteworthy to mention that MFIS has only been producing graduates since 1998. It's a fairly young school.

HSC

lol i'm laughing at the ranking for pittwater house (my school). It says for girls at like 74 and there were 99 people who sat the exam. lol that's the entire year girls and boys.

doesn't make any sense but i don't really care about this ranking system. only brings depression for others.

xJaix

HSC

we dropped from 200+ to 131 and it's about time too!

kooltrainer

HSC

man FSHS... why let all other schools climb up...

u-borat

Banned
HSC

fucking lol @ the same ruse people blathering on about a fair go when all they said about the extra 15 minute ordeal can be paraphrased under, "tough shit, that's life, deal with it etc etc etc."

not that i really care either way, i just found that highly ironic.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

Damn. Stupid Ryde Secondary College, wtf we dropped 40+ ranks to 166 ><

JRAHS-Student

HSC

u-borat said:
fucking lol @ the same ruse people blathering on about a fair go when all they said about the extra 15 minute ordeal can be paraphrased under, "tough shit, that's life, deal with it etc etc etc."

not that i really care either way, i just found that highly ironic.
I don't recall people saying that, except for one person, who did not represent the views of others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)