2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (1 Viewer)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Re: Barrack OBama or John Mccain?

Muz4PM said:
McCain's health and age will always be a problem which will plague him in the election. His doctors have given him the all clear, which is I guess the best endorsment he can get from a health perspective. That is why his choice for VP will be very important, as many may see past McCain and at his VP as future president due to McCain's health.
I doubt his VP will be very young. Otherwise it would signal his own health concerns and the campaign would be about that VP.
Condi would make a good counter, but this administration is toxic

brainwashed39

HSC

Muz4PM said:
The fact that you link John McCain to Hitler is as abominable and offensive as it is false. McCain is nothing like Hitler.

Back to my point about McCain being an experienced hand. A possible confrontation between Iran and Israel looks more likely than ever, do you want a someone who has clear foreign and defence policy credentials leading the free-world or do you want some rookie who is more willing to sit down with America's enemies than America's generals who are fighting in Iraq?

Whether you agree with the war in Iraq or not, whether you think Bush went for freedom, WMD's or oil, no one can deny that the war was going badly, until a troop surge went a long way to quelling some of the sectarian violence and casualties sustained in Iraq. Who suggested the surge stratergy? John McCain. Who has the foreign policy experiecne to see a correct stratergy in Iraq? John McCain.

His track record cannot be disputed, and in turbulent times, where we maybe on the brink of another war America needs a responsible, experienced leader. I think John McCain is that leader.
before the "surge of troops" there was no real war. the country was under a dictatorship and there was civil conflict and as tragic as that is that is also the case for many other nations around the world... they just have less oil. so i don't agree with his strategies. i don't believe the us sent troops to iraq out of the goodness of its heart. the ammount of money the us spends annually on the fighting in iraq is enough to put a permanent end to world hunger.
his track record can be disputed. "turblulent times" is just a sound-bite, the world has been in a contant state of "turbulent times" since god knows when. he's experienced in unnecassary combat. america needs someone who realises that the people who really need the attention of the american president are the people of america. we don't need another george bush. we've already had two.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Yeah, it's important to realise that the experience argument would only be really damaging to Obama if he was promising more of the same. But he's promising CHANGE - this is an argument FOR inexperience because the status quo has failed. If it doesnt work out, he'll be a harmless Carter at worst.

Muz4PM

HSC
brainwashed39 said:
before the "surge of troops" there was no real war. the country was under a dictatorship and there was civil conflict and as tragic as that is that is also the case for many other nations around the world... they just have less oil. so i don't agree with his strategies. i don't believe the us sent troops to iraq out of the goodness of its heart. the ammount of money the us spends annually on the fighting in iraq is enough to put a permanent end to world hunger.

Before the troop surge there were massive amounts of sectarian violence where American and other Coalition troops were being killed along with scores of Iraqi civilians. Since the troop surge there has been a reduction in violence, a reduction in soldier deaths and indeed a reduction of troops in Iraq due to the strengthening of Iraqi defence and security forces and the decrease in violence. I am not suggesting that everything is good and rosy in Iraq at the moment, there is still huge amounts of work to be done, but the position the US is in now in Iraq is better than what it was before McCain's surge.

Experienced in unnecessary combat? I am not entirely sure what you mean there, so could you please quantify your statement.

Your criticism of McCain as one who is not prepared to give attention to the American people I believe is incorrect. The man had served his country in the military, he has expressed his love for his own country and the people in it. In domestic and economic policy he has expressed his support for cutting spending via vetoing earmarks, making the Bush tax cuts of 2000 permanent, easing the burden on a lot of middle income American families. However, I am sure in the upcoming five months the domestic policies and positions of both candidates will become more familiar to both us and the American public.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

incentivation said:
Whether the US is ready to elect its first black president will be a major factor. At this point I'm not so sure..

However, John McCain for mine. The similarities between Obama and Rudd are too much to bear. Oratory prowess supported by, well, not much..

Please do not compare Rudd and Obama. Rudd has no substance and is a gimmick, he was kissing Hillary Clinton's ass before the nominee was over and change his mind when Obama was likely to win. :)

Oh and Barack Obama for president.

really, a 72 year old president? he should be in a retirement home instead :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC

I don't mind McCain but I have a feeling Obama will tackle America'as healthcare and social welfare issues, so I'd vote for him.

spiny norman

HSC

What the fuck is McCain doing with a third of the vote? Even the Conservatives in Britain had said they were hoping for a Democrat because they thought all the Republicans were just a touch too far right wing for them.

Muz4PM said:
His track record cannot be disputed, and in turbulent times, where we maybe on the brink of another war America needs a responsible, experienced leader. I think John McCain is that leader.
I'll grant that's a strong argument, and if people had had the same attitude previously the United States could've avoided some of its worst ever presidents. Like Lincoln.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
Obama

The age and anger factors are too much to consider McCain.

Sydney Morning Herald said:
"The thought of his being president sends a cold chill down my spine," said Mississippi's Thad Cochran, who has known McCain for more than three decades. "He is erratic. He is hotheaded. He loses his temper, and he worries me."
Also, being a PoW does not make you Presidential material.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-election/a-battle-of-temperaments-and-moolah/2008/06/06/1212259107834.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
carrots please! said:
Also, being a PoW does not make you Presidential material.
]
Gore Vidal said something similar. Along the lines of 'he got shot down? in any other countryhe would be court martialed for losing the plane, but we want to make him president

Muz4PM

HSC
Here I was thinking the fact he had been a US Representative or Senator since 1982 would have had something to do with him being fit to become president.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol yeah. But it's interesting what can happen to a seemingly heroic military record...
rip Kerry

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

spiny norman said:
What the fuck is McCain doing with a third of the vote? Even the Conservatives in Britain had said they were hoping for a Democrat because they thought all the Republicans were just a touch too far right wing for them.

I'll grant that's a strong argument, and if people had had the same attitude previously the United States could've avoided some of its worst ever presidents. Like Lincoln.
Yeah but the British Conservatives are fucking communists.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
a plague o' both their houses.

McCain will win though.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
McCain will probably die before the election, tbh. I wouldn't vote for anybody where this is actually something you need to think about.

Obama for me. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Reagan was also old, and he was amazingest president ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)