• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (1 Viewer)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
_dhj_ said:
McCain was always going to win on national security.
I'm just surprised with his performance as a debator. There's a string of interviews with him where he looks awkward and confused and old. Just now, I think he came across as powerful, capable, forceful, even healthy.
I am surprised. Obama was aweful

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Iron said:
I'm just surprised with his performance as a debator. There's a string of interviews with him where he looks awkward and confused and old. Just now, I think he came across as powerful, capable, forceful, even healthy.
I am surprised. Obama was aweful
I agree but he came across as powerful because the focus of the debate was on an area which he was most familiar with.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
obviously cons will think mccain did good... libs obama

WHAT DID THE SWING VOTERS THINK?

they should've let the candidates walk around.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I agree but he came across as powerful because the focus of the debate was on an area which he was most familiar with.
true. Obama had no answer to McCain's rampant name-dropping.

Dora Explorer

HSC
Ah Mcain, you've done it again!

Unless you want another George Bush to run America, GO OBAMA!

Amandla!

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Hard to argue that McCain didn't win that. Seems as if the criticism saying that Obama can't speak without the teleprompter is somewhat accurate.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
wow I have to see this now!
No, McCain didn't win.

If it was anything it was a tie.

Which is as good as an Obama victory.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
jb_nc said:
No, McCain didn't win.

Ah okay. Yeah I really can't imagine him winning in a debate against Obama tbh lol

Howd they each go in direct exchanges?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
McCain's emotive rhetoric was a bit silly (Sen. Kennedy, the bracelet, veterans), as was his frequent condescending tone ("Senator Obama doesn't understand..." etc). Nonetheless, I thought it was a pretty good debate on the whole. Obama and McCain actually engaged with one another and there wasn't too much BS - for a political debate, at least.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
jb_nc said:
No, McCain didn't win.

Na youre full of shit. It was clear McCain I will fight you my friend

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
KFunk said:
McCain's emotive rhetoric was a bit silly (Sen. Kennedy, the bracelet, veterans), as was his frequent condescending tone ("Senator Obama doesn't understand..." etc). Nonetheless, I thought it was a pretty good debate on the whole. Obama and McCain actually engaged with one another and there wasn't too much BS - for a political debate, at least.
Agreed.

However it was funny how poor Jimmy really had to push them to talk to each other at the beginning.

(also, w00t at it being on PBS and having Jim Lehrer moderate)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
A High Way Man said:
obviously cons will think mccain did good... libs obama

WHAT DID THE SWING VOTERS THINK?

they should've let the candidates walk around.
That debate definitely showed Obama holding the fort. McCain, already in a position of trailing polls and uncertainty over recent erratic behaviour, got a lashing on the economy and could not really pull ahead of Obama even on foreign policy. He utterly failed to distance himself from Bush politics and gave no indication he's an advocate of change. Moreover, his body language betrayed him as restless and agitated.

Here's a good analysis by Time magazine: http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1845106,00.html

The swing voters think Obama won it. 40% of independents think Obama won the first debate, 25% think McCain did.

Not only did this debate solidify Obama's hold over economic policy (66% favour Obama on the economy), but it also basically levelled out the difference between McCain and Obama on foreign policy: what used to be a 20 or 30 percent gap is now only an 8% margin in favour of McCain.

Networks conducted a nationally representative poll of approximately 500 uncommitted voters reacting to the debate in the minutes after it happened.

39% of uncommitted voters who watched the debate tonight thought Barack Obama was the winner. 24% thought John McCain won. Thirty-seven percent saw it as a draw.

46% of uncommitted voters said their opinion of Obama got better tonight. 32% said their opinion of McCain got better.

66% of uncommitted voters think Obama would make the right decisions about the economy. 42% think McCain would.

48% of these voters think Obama would make the right decisions about Iraq. 56% think McCain would.

We will have a full report on the poll later on. Uncommitted voters are those who don't yet know who they will vote for, or who have chosen a candidate but may still change their minds.
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/26/politics/horserace/entry4482028.shtml

Last edited:

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
The more I think about it, the more I realize how POOR of a debate it was. It was as if both McCain and Obama had taken Debating 101 and were trying to cram techniques in. Disgusting. Awkward. It was like reading a band 4 HSC English essay.

Someone let loose already. Methinks didactic campaign aides are destroying any chance of new ideas/thoughts coming out of these debates.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Up yours Trefoil. A Drudge poll of 200,000 is scoring it to McCain 66:32

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
lol? Obama would be happy with anything above 10% from drudge

its like me citing a dailykos poll

Last edited:

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Hillary Clinton commends Obama for winning the first debate.

Barack Obama got some praise for his debate performance from someone who knows a thing or two about debating the Democratic nominee: his former rival Hillary Clinton.

“Tonight Barack Obama displayed beyond a doubt that he understands both the gravity of the financial crisis facing America, and the challenges we face in Iraq and around the world. Senator McCain offered only more of the same failed policies of the Bush Administration. America deserves better,” Clinton said in a statement.

“I stood next to Barack Obama in 22 debates and tonight epitomized why millions are joining me in standing with him and working hard to ensure he is the next President of the United States.”

John McCain had cited Obama’s nearly two dozen debates during the primary as a way to lower expectations about his own performance in Friday’s debate. McCain aides often mentioned how much more one-on-one debate practice Obama has had recently because of the prolonged primary.

Clinton has thrown her support behind Obama, hitting the campaign trail more frequently in key battleground states. On Saturday, the former first lady will campaign on behalf of Obama in Grand Ledge, Grand Rapids and Flint, Michigan.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/26/clinton-applauds-obamas-debate-performance/

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
She didnt say he won?
Bill Clinton is out there doing everything he can to talk up McCain. It's awesome. The Clinton's are furious with rage

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
Na youre full of shit. It was clear McCain I will fight you my friend
What constitutes a win for you? (popular opinion? logic/content? percieved dominance?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)