• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (3 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters
HSC
Trefoil said:
You're not interested in what others think of the candidates? You're not interested in where swing voters might lean after the debates? Fair enough. Do get off your high horse though, because others are interested.

You say you've watched the debate, then tell me you're not aware of broad-reaching political currents in this election? You hear that around the world there is more support for Obama over McCain, then you ask how that is relevant? It doesn't occur to you instead to ask why; why is there so much more support for Obama instead of McCain, and how does the global political landscape relate to the situation in America locally?
I didn't say I wasn't aware of those things or their importance, I was asking what you thought they were. I'm not on a high horse, you've obviously followed this much closer than I have so I wanted to hear your real opinions, rather than just the generalities (e.g. "broad-reaching political currents"). Sorry for not making myself clear.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
Do you guys think that our views sort of mirror the views of the Americans in that 66% of people would vote Obama?

HSC
Actually, on the global popularity thing, this could be interesting if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.economist.com/vote2008/?source=hptextfeature

Accordingly, it shows every single country prefers Obama, with Australia currently at 85% to 15%. Of course there's the skewing due to the type of readers of the Economist and so on, but still...

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Risky either way.
After listening to the recent debate, and Obama's unwillingness to intervene after McCain spoke known lies. It's further become evident that Obama may either be too timid to bring about the reforms in U.S foreign policy that is needed, or rather supports the current neoconservative agenda.

For insance McCain continually said that Ahmadinejad had threatened to wipe Israel off the map. That is a lie.

McCain implied Russia escalated the conflict with Georgia. That is a lie.

The list goes on of known lies which Obama let McCain get away with. These lies need to be confronted head on.

ASNSWR127

HSC
sam04u said:
Risky either way.
After listening to the recent debate, and Obama's unwillingness to intervene after McCain spoke known lies. It's further become evident that Obama may either be too timid to bring about the reforms in U.S foreign policy that is needed, or rather supports the current neoconservative agenda.

For insance McCain continually said that Ahmadinejad had threatened to wipe Israel off the map. That is a lie.

The list goes on of known lies which Obama let McCain get away with. These lies need to be confronted head on.
Well you see the problem is that in US politics we have two parties and two viewpoints:

The conservative and the ultra conservative.

It seems the left wing has no place in American Society, the same way that the ALP is trying to 'redefine' itself.

Most disappointing...

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
conclusion after watching 20 minutes of the debate: The two party system is really a one party system. same shit, different smell. fuck this democracy.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
sam04u said:
Risky either way.

This is one of the reasons why Obama had to lose this debate. He could not have stated the truth that Ahmadinejad is not an evil lunatic and that Russia was right to take action against the genocide in South Ossetia, since such viewpoints are politically unacceptable to the American public and unpatriotic. Not only was he forced to agree with McCain, any equivocation would be seen as weakness, indecisiveness, inability to assume the role of commander in chief.

Last edited:

ASNSWR127

HSC
_dhj_ said:
This is one of the reasons why Obama had to lose this debate. He could not have stated the truth that Ahmadinejad is not an evil lunatic and that Russia was right to take action against the genocide in South Ossetia, since such viewpoints are politically unacceptable to the American public and unpatriotic. Not only was he forced to agree with McCain, any equivocation would be seen as weakness, indecisiveness, inability to assume the role of commander and chief.
hmmm Commander in chief gotta be tough strong man with lots and lots of guns

US is Farked!

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
John Kerry was very popular with rest of the world, just like Obama, he lost to George Bush. :D
yeah, and look what happened.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
_dhj_ said:
This is one of the reasons why Obama had to lose this debate. He could not have stated the truth that Ahmadinejad is not an evil lunatic and that Russia was right to take action against the genocide in South Ossetia, since such viewpoints are politically unacceptable to the American public and unpatriotic. Not only was he forced to agree with McCain, any equivocation would be seen as weakness, indecisiveness, inability to assume the role of commander in chief.
Abortion?
Stem cell research?
Gay marriage?
Climate change?

There are lots more things he has to lose on

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Iron said:
Abortion?
Stem cell research?
Gay marriage?
Climate change?

There are lots more things he has to lose on
Views on foreign policy are inevitably blinded by patriotism. With respect to other areas I think a moderate, non-committal stance is politically acceptable.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I dont think so. When asked on abortion, he has to squirm and list exceptions. McCain just says he's pro life and people cheer. Same with the gays.
That's why republicans love these social issues - theyre the ultimate wedges. The Dems are damned if they do and damned if they dont!

Obama's comment a few weeks ago that abortion was 'above my pay grade' hurt him in big ways I think. It's dog whistle stuff that stokes the conservative base/ the creaking Reagan coalition

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Ive concluded that Obama and McCain are two cheeks of the same backside. Having said that, Sarah Palin has seriously threatened this consistent stance of mine on US politics. She is dumb with a capital D. And a part of me wants McCain to win so that she can take over as President when McCain is inevitably packed off to an old-age home.If Sarah Palin can't hasten the inevitable fall of the US empire, I believe nobody can.

But I can bet my bottom dollar that 99% of US citizens don't have any idea about the consequences of who becomes the next US president. I bet most of them didn't even notice something was amiss. They are too busy following up on the latest celebrity's latest stint at rehab.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
Good to see both candidates 99.99% comitted to the security of Israel. Hizbollocks and Ahmedinajad must be pulling their hairs out in anger! ;)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
Good to see both candidates 99.99% comitted to the security of Israel. Hizbollocks and Ahmedinajad must be pulling their hairs out in anger! ;)
when are you going to serve your 3 year stint as a soldier for isreal?
i hope you die.

Last edited:

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”
The poor thing, I feel sorry for her now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)