• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (2 Viewers)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Style and substance. I found McCain to be comprehensive and reassuring. He also ran a clean debate which oozed integrity. He made a few good jokes, he looked more dignified by not personally addressing Obama, and he easily handled a very sup-par Obama. Obviously, I was more sold on the f.p message, but I think most people are too. McCain looked stronger, wiser and more resolute. I think people suspected that already, and had it confirmed. But the suspicion that McCain is past it - too old to keep up and stay cohesive - was put to rest.

Obama was all soundbites, he often (unsuccessfully) tried to talk over McCain, his charisma was surprisingly hollow (telling McCain "good job, good job" after etc), I think he even suggested he would attack Pakistan, but would give the Iranians the political gift of meeting him to discuss their plans to destroy Israel. Weak, naive, confused, opportunistic.

I mean, Obama was solid, but I think that the bar was much higher for him and much lower for McCain, and it turns out that Obama didnt reach his bar and McCain sprang over his

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Iron said:
Style and substance. I found McCain to be comprehensive and reassuring. He also ran a clean debate which oozed integrity.
No, 99% was a rehash of stump speeches. He even included that line about vetoing pork-barrel spending. C'mon JM, don't you think we heard that in your acceptance speech? Same to an extent with O.

Iron said:
He made a few good jokes
miss congeniality?

Iron said:
he looked more dignified by not personally addressing Obama
hahahahaha. I could just imagine what you would say if obama acted like mccain, not looking at him in the eye; looking down at his shoes every time obama tried to personally address him. It's a debate. McCain expects the American People to believe he can stare down "Akhmadinejad", Putin and others when he can't even look his opponent in the eye?

Iron said:
and he easily handled a very sup-par Obama.
Obama's never been on 'par', I think he's a weak debater. He did well tonight compared to his previous 'um' and 'uh' outings. Look at Saddleback

McCain looked stronger, wiser and more resolute.
No he didn't. He was staring blankly into space whenever Obama speaking, not to mention his strange old-man cackle. Made me think he was about to lose his temper, going to explode. Hey, what happened to substance over style?

But the suspicion that McCain is past it - too old to keep up and stay cohesive - was put to rest.
Agreed. He was surprisingly sharp.

Obama was all soundbites, he often (unsuccessfully) tried to talk over McCain
True. Obama needs to learn to interject properly.
his charisma was surprisingly hollow (telling McCain "good job, good job" after etc)
or maybe he's just a decent guy.

I think he even suggested he would attack Pakistan, but would give the Iranians the political gift of meeting him to discuss their plans to destroy Israel.
Wasn't that 'wiping Israel off the map' a mistranslation? I think "Akhmadinejad" meant that he wanted to current Israeli government to be dissolved.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
Style and substance. I found McCain to be comprehensive and reassuring. He also ran a clean debate which oozed integrity. He made a few good jokes, he looked more dignified by not personally addressing Obama, and he easily handled a very sup-par Obama. Obviously, I was more sold on the f.p message, but I think most people are too. McCain looked stronger, wiser and more resolute. I think people suspected that already, and had it confirmed. But the suspicion that McCain is past it - too old to keep up and stay cohesive - was put to rest.

Obama was all soundbites, he often (unsuccessfully) tried to talk over McCain, his charisma was surprisingly hollow (telling McCain "good job, good job" after etc), I think he even suggested he would attack Pakistan, but would give the Iranians the political gift of meeting him to discuss their plans to destroy Israel. Weak, naive, confused, opportunistic.
It's interesting how differently two people can see the debate. On 'cleanness' and integrity: I thought McCain overused the "Obama doesn't understand" ploy (playing the young, naive, senator card), which was unfair given his solid comprehension of the issues at hand - you can't put down all differences of opinion to inexperience. He also insisted on having last word and then providing last ditch rhetorical obfuscation rather than substantial rejoinder. I also felt that McCain spent more time seeking soundbites. He avoided answering many questions directly, opting instead to introduce irrelevant, pre-planned anecdotes which were chosen for their rhetorical force (Obama did this too, but to a lesser extent, I feel).

I was inclined to feel that it was a tie, on the whole. Mind you, it is interesting to wonder what effect a quiet aditorium had on the whole affair. Cheers, laughter and applause contribute a great deal to those much sought after momentary high points.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Also, quoted because it struck me as such a rediculous thing to say:

”I looked in Putin’s eyes and I saw three letters: KGB”
- McCain

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
KFunk said:

- McCain
And he says he doesn't want a Cold War.

the worst thing is that I have turned into a rabid Obamabot. What a pity. Hopefully the democrats have things covered. Word is that since the Palin pick they've been registering thousands upon thousands of voters. Voters that won't show up on pollsters lists till 2010 election. moderates have woken up to the evangelical/fundamentalist threat, let da battle begin

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol all considered, McCain's performance is the one that clearly stands out in my mind. I dont think Obama said anything particularly memorable.
Not sure why people are upset about the "Obama doesnt understand" lines. I'd agree that he doesnt. He got into this whole mess about meeting foreign leaders without preconditions during a democratic debate, and he's been too pig-headed to admit it was an error and move on.
Frankly, I was more offended by Obama taking it upon himself to congratulate McCain on a "good job", as if such congratulation was needed or in any way genuine. There were also a few other little things, like trying to say that McCain is anti-renewable - McCain just laughed it off, saying "NO one could be against this".
McCain's lines on porkbarrel spending were great - a far more substantial plan than Obama had on the crisis. Interesting that Obama just rolled over and took the charge of wasteful spending too - his one big issue (the economy)
On Putin, I think corny sayings like that strike nerves. It's good to know that he believes that there is good and evil in the world and that he can see it and is willing to fight it if need be

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
KFunk said:

- McCain
"I looked in Putin's eyes and I saw three letters: SEX" - chicky_pie :eek:

I have to admit his body is fab, for a guy at his age.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
Iron said:
Frankly, I was more offended by Obama taking it upon himself to congratulate McCain on a "good job", as if such congratulation was needed or in any way genuine.
It's all about loooks. People won't remember all the content, but will remember the visuals. Obama HAD to get near McCain so millions could see him tower over the height-challenged McCain, and get that image planted into their subconscious. in my eyes, obama had the better demeanour throughout the debate, mainly cause he wasn't a sneering condescending old man. A-hee hee heee

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Iron said:
It's good to know that he believes that there is good and evil in the world and that he can see it and is willing to fight it if need be
He puts my relativist quagmire at risk :(.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Because unlike Presdient Bush, McCain attacks the REAL enemies of freedom!

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
I notice Obama leads by 44% on this forum. That's fairly indicative of the rest of Australia, and indeed the world.

It's amazing how out of touch Americans are. The BBC conducted a survey recently of 22 countries around the world, polling more than 1000 people per country.

Every single one of the countries overwhelmingly supported Obama as America's next president. The country with the least amount of support for Obama was India, in which Obama only had a 9% lead.

The countries polled include Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Egypt, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Nigeria, Panama, the Philippines, Poland, Russia, Singapore, Turkey, the UAE, and Britain.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/09/2360240.htm?section=world

HSC
Wow you're annoying Trefoil. While people might prefer Obama, it's silly to throw around stats of his popularity like it means anything substantial.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
Wow you're annoying Trefoil. While people might prefer Obama, it's silly to throw around stats of his popularity like it means anything substantial.
Shall we put it another way so it's easier for you to grasp?

McCain is unpopular. Perhaps that alone still isn't much for you, but it highlights the existence of some deep-seated and broader-reaching political currents which you'd be a fool to ignore.

If you'd have watched the debate, that would ring true. I suggest you go and do so.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The Chinese are nuts for Kevin. Therefore Australia would be CRAZY to vote Turnbull in 2010!

HSC
Trefoil said:
Shall we put it another way so it's easier for you to grasp?

McCain is unpopular. Perhaps that alone still isn't much for you, but it highlights the existence of some deep-seated and broader-reaching political currents which you'd be a fool to ignore.

If you'd have watched the debate, that would ring true. I suggest you go and do so.
What are these deep-seated and broader-reaching political currents? I'm genuinely curious. FWIW, I have watched the debate (though I'm more interested in seeing the VP debate :p) and I much much prefer Obama over McCain. I just have seen enough people throw around all these popularity stats to find it a bit empty by now.

Edit: And my comment of you being annoying wasn't as a result on that single post. I think it's just your writing style I find nauseating. :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
To be fair, they actually have tangible impact. People generally love a winner.
Wasnt it Patton who said similar? Americans will not tolerate a loser. THe very idea of losing is offensive to him
etc

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
veloc1ty said:
What are these deep-seated and broader-reaching political currents? I'm genuinely curious. FWIW, I have watched the debate (though I'm more interested in seeing the VP debate :p) and I much much prefer Obama over McCain. I just have seen enough people throw around all these popularity stats to find it a bit empty by now.
You're not interested in what others think of the candidates? You're not interested in where swing voters might lean after the debates? Fair enough. Do get off your high horse though, because others are interested.

You say you've watched the debate, then tell me you're not aware of broad-reaching political currents in this election? You hear that around the world there is more support for Obama over McCain, then you ask how that is relevant? It doesn't occur to you instead to ask why; why is there so much more support for Obama instead of McCain, and how does the global political landscape relate to the situation in America locally?

Edit: And my comment of you being annoying wasn't as a result on that single post. I think it's just your writing style I find nauseating. :)
My my, isn't that something.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
Do you guys think Ahmedejat (Iranian president) will like or dislike Obama?

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Numbers said:
Do you guys think Ahmedejat (Iranian president) will like or dislike Obama?
Ahmadinejad is a deranged war-monger who finds the very existence of the West abhorrent. I doubt it much matters to him who is in charge; either way he'd like to destroy us.

But, as with Russia, you need a leader who is level-headed enough to try diplomacy before bombs. At least in that respect I imagine Ahmadinejad is more willing to open dialogue with Obama.

McCain's "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb, Iran" song was hilarious, if rather disturbing. (To the tune of "Ba ba ba, ba Barbra-Anne")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)