2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

D94

HSC
N/A
trying not to think too much about results atm...
Don't know if you know, but some results are already out. I think your maths results should be available (MATH1131/1141 are already out via Maths and Stats Marks on Blackboard).

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't know if you know, but some results are already out. I think your maths results should be available (MATH1131/1141 are already out via Maths and Stats Marks on Blackboard).
yup, got my results for maths already.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
oh, hi-five, commerce arts too.
*high five* Oh, if you can believe this, back in my old high school, high fives are banned.

Basically, last year, a new principal took over. And this principal's a strict ass. "They" decided to raise the school's passing mark to 60% instead of 50%, decided to affiliate the school with a laptop company and force all students to purchase a laptop for an extremely "discounted" (aka, retail price, perhaps even higher) laptop from that laptop company (no personal laptops allowed, no renting laptops, failure to get the laptops will result in the student being expelled automatically), etc.

One day, this new principal was in the hallway, and heard two students chattering just a bit louder than usual and high fiving one another. "They" told the students to shut up (in polite terms, of course) and stop high fiving. Unfortunately, as we all know, when you're halfway through a high five, it's difficult to stop. So the students' hands met each other successfully, and they were immediately suspended and yelled at for high fiving when the principal told them to stop.

The next day, the principal announced to the entire school that high fiving was banned.

The ironic thing is, during this year's graduation ceremony, the principal high fived the student council secretary.

(Yup...)

ah Comm/Arts

sounds good.
Feels so lonely though. I went to the first day of Step Up, and everyone around me had a straight degree, not a double degree. I feel so unloved. ;(

Oh, oh, and it doesn't help that all the people I became friends with are older than me (still under 18 here, turning 18 next month) and taking some sort of Science or Engineering...

But that's enough depressing talk for me.

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
wooo hopefully that's the case
I checked via the re-enrolling thing and it wouldn't let me proceed since I've passed :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Feels so lonely though. I went to the first day of Step Up, and everyone around me had a straight degree, not a double degree. I feel so unloved. ;(

Oh, oh, and it doesn't help that all the people I became friends with are older than me (still under 18 here, turning 18 next month) and taking some sort of Science or Engineering...

But that's enough depressing talk for me.
"Step Up"?

but yeah, what you aim to do is to find friends in your subjects - not by degrees. Though you'll make friends in degrees when you start seeing the same people in the subjects as you go from subject to subject...

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Thats just because the 2 years of arts adds nothing to your employability and is seen by normal people as a complete waste of 2 years and $$, you shouldn't feel unloved just because your a complete muppet.
Er, okay? Wow, you have issues. I didn't specifically say that I didn't find any people pursuing a double degree in Commerce and Arts. I said that I didn't meet anyone pursuing any double degree at all. No need to start insulting me when I did absolutely nothing to you. Did I mention you or talk to you? I don't think so. Having your own opinion is great and all, but try not to attack others just because they think differently from you, alright? Not everyone's the same, after all.

As for my reasons for pursuing a double degree instead of a single degree, well, it's because I can focus on the "international" aspect in my Arts degree (International Relations major, Politics minor), and then focus on the "business" aspect in my Commerce degree by pursuing a major that isn't International Business. From my father's experiences, knowing how countries interact with one another, knowing how their political systems run, all of that can help you make smarter choices in business.

So I don't think that pursuing a double degree in Commerce and Arts is a complete waste of time and money. Other countries usually require you to study 4 years for a single degree. I chose Australia so that I could pursue a double degree in that same period of time. I also plan to attend summer school to graduate a semester earlier, in order to save both money and time. Heck, I even graduated from high school a semester early so that I could come here on time, save a little more money, and start my tertiary education earlier than the rest of my classmates, who will start studying in September or early next year. After all, age can affect how employable you are.

...and just to finish off, let me just tell you that a straight Commerce degree is 3 years, and the additional Arts degree only adds an extra year to that, not 2 years. I plan to attend summer school to graduate a semester early, so ultimately, my Arts degree will only add on an extra semester. Maybe even less, if I take summer school for 2 years in a row. Maybe I can attempt to graduate with both degrees after 3 years. Who knows? It depends on what courses are available for summer school, whether I'm allowed to overload or not, etc.

Edit: And I just want to say one last thing. In this economy, a degree in anything, even Engineering, could still land you a job as a cashier in a bakery. My older half-brother graduated with a Medicine degree, and he's still unemployed. On the other hand, the HSBC manager that I met with a few days ago had a degree in Arts. Your degree doesn't 100% decide how employable you are. It's what you do with your degree and what you do while you're pursuing your degree that decides how employable you are.

"Step Up"?

but yeah, what you aim to do is to find friends in your subjects - not by degrees. Though you'll make friends in degrees when you start seeing the same people in the subjects as you go from subject to subject...
Ah, sorry. The "Step Up" program. It's sort of a 3 day welcoming workshop for all new international students.

Haha, I know, I know. That's why I said "no more depressing talk for me". I know that when classes start, I'll eventually meet people who are pursuing the same degree.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
don't worry about steffanie

despite the feminine name

he's actually a dude

so as you can see, he has ~issues~

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Dude please stop trying to justify your nonsense, the arts add on is rubbish and you know it, you wanna learn how countries interact then I bet you can do it independently instead of trying to prove to people that your so educated on the subject because it was part of your degree.
And I bet you can learn Japanese independently, but many people still study Japanese Studies in university in order to get a job as a Japanese translator, simply because many translator jobs require proof of proficiency in some way or form. I also bet that you already have management skills, but many people still take Commerce degrees to take management jobs, because they need proof that they have those skills.

m8

arts is gr8

For numerous reasons.
If I could "like" or thumbs up you, I would. Or add onto your reputation.

Anyway, people, this is the 2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter thread. Let's not spam it anymore than we already are, shall we? Let's get back to the topic of, "Hey, it's semester 2, 2012, at UNSW! Go wild!"

HSC
Uni Grad
m8

arts is gr8

For numerous reasons.
<3 arts (Y). Especially Chinese. But I hope Chinese ain't below a distinction or i will fucking piss rage :/

Arts gives you bonus skills, like analytical and critical thinking skills. It gives those skills in a more theoretical form, as opposed to practical form. An Arts degree may not be valued as much here, depending on your majors, but once you go overseas, I heard it's valued a lot more, especially if you're doing politics and/or international relations. It's also good for people who possess deep interests, like me and possibly Riachain.

As Riachain said, if you want to do a language and get a job using your language skills, then a formal qualification may be necessary, so doing an arts degree may be a solution.

Last edited:

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Arts gives you bonus skills, like analytical and critical thinking skills. It gives those skills in a more theoretical form, as opposed to practical form. An Arts degree may not be valued as much here, depending on your majors, but once you go overseas, I heard it's valued a lot more, especially if you're doing politics and/or international relations. It's also good for people who possess deep interests, like me and possibly Riachain.

As Riachain said, if you want to do a language and get a job using your language skills, then a formal qualification may be necessary, so doing an arts degree may be a solution.
You bet I possess a deep interest in some areas of the Arts. I adore learning about other countries and cultures, so a major in International Relations is perfect for me. If I also minor in Politics and take a Commerce major in Accounting or Finance (still deciding what Commerce major I should pick), I'm pretty sure that I'll appear more interesting in several employers' eyes. Especially if those employers are multinational corporations.

Now, I want to hug you for being so darn awesome.

But I want to pause for a second, to ask you this: How can I sign up for the K-POP Society? Is there a membership fee/annual fee?

HSC
Uni Grad
You bet I possess a deep interest in some areas of the Arts. I adore learning about other countries and cultures, so a major in International Relations is perfect for me. If I also minor in Politics and take a Commerce major in Accounting or Finance (still deciding what Commerce major I should pick), I'm pretty sure that I'll appear more interesting in several employers' eyes. Especially if those employers are multinational corporations.

Now, I want to hug you for being so darn awesome.

But I want to pause for a second, to ask you this: How can I sign up for the K-POP Society? Is there a membership fee/annual fee?
Ahh nice. I heard international relations is very dry though. On the other hand, it's rewarding. Politics probably doesn't seem so bad though. And yes, you should really distinguish yourself from those who do the typical commerce majors like accounting/finance by perhaps doing a double degree, doing more extracurriculars and such. Also, you learn a lot more if you do majors in different fields and makes you more unique. Plus it also opens your options.

As for your options, they would seem pretty favorable if you were to think of working overseas, in which in both of our cases, we may plan to work in multinational co-operations :p

Although to an employer, it's more important that you do well in whatever you do. So doing so many fields and getting a mediocre mark is worse than a person who does majors in a particular field and does very well at them.

YAY *HUGS*

How to sign up? Well here's the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unswkpopsoc/
Also to be an official member, you gotta pay an annual membership fee of $5 if you're an ARC member. But if I were to be president, I would abolish the fee and make more people sign up for kpopsoc (Y)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well, i think we should go for more relevant reasons if it is matty g

umm... arts is gr8 because:

1. You're not in it.

---

but more (less) srsly, arts is nice because it balances out the female/male ratios.

Like... Maths is like... 85 guys, 15 girls

English is like... 30 guys, 170 girls

it all evens out - percentage-wise

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh nice. I heard international relations is very dry though. On the other hand, it's rewarding. Politics probably doesn't seem so bad though. And yes, you should really distinguish yourself from those who do the typical commerce majors like accounting/finance by perhaps doing a double degree, doing more extracurriculars and such. Also, you learn a lot more if you do majors in different fields and makes you more unique. Plus it also opens your options.

As for your options, they would seem pretty favorable if you were to think of working overseas, in which in both of our cases, we may plan to work in multinational co-operations :p

Although to an employer, it's more important that you do well in whatever you do. So doing so many fields and getting a mediocre mark is worse than a person who does majors in a particular field and does very well at them.

YAY *HUGS*

How to sign up? Well here's the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/unswkpopsoc/
Also to be an official member, you gotta pay an annual membership fee of $5 if you're an ARC member. But if I were to be president, I would abolish the fee and make more people sign up for kpopsoc (Y)
To be honest, I'm rather iffy on the Politics minor. It is important to know each country's political system and how it affects their relations with other countries, but to be honest, I find the entire subject rather bland. I have some interest in it, but it's not a burning, fiery interest. *sigh*

Extracurriculars! I'm definitely going to do some volunteer work, an internship, summer vacation jobs, etc. I want to explore each and every possibility that'll help expand my resume. I'm already looking for part time jobs, but the number of hours that I have to work are limited, and transportation is expensive, so my search isn't going as well as I'd like it to. Ah well, things will improve with time.

At first, I was thinking of working in Sydney after graduating, but now I'm thinking over that thought. Living in Sydney just seems so, well, inconvenient, from what I've experienced so far. Transportation is expensive and confusing. Shops close way too early. And shipping is expensive, even if you ship locally. (Er, hope I'm using the right terminology.) I grew up in Hong Kong, where you can get anywhere within an hour, no matter how far away from the city you live, so experiencing this inconvenience just feels... strange. Perhaps I'm better off in a place like New York, Tokyo, Seoul, etc. Places with skyscrapers, 24/7 stores, etc. But I'll experience the Australian life for a while longer before cementing my decision into stone.

As for doing well with whatever I choose - I'll do my best! ;)

Why do you have to pay an annual membership fee? My friends in other universities (in other countries) say that they've never had to pay for any club membership fee before. I find it rather strange that in UNSW, you normally have to pay an annual membership fee.

Also, since I'm going to all three days of O-Week, I might just sign up there. You're not going to test me on how well I know my K-POP, are you? I've only been converted for a year. I just know my Miss A, Super Junior, Shinee, Nu'Est, FT Island, Sistar, TVXQ/DBSK, JYJ, Younha, etc. (Is that good enough? ;D)

but more (less) srsly, arts is nice because it balances out the female/male ratios.

Like... Maths is like... 85 guys, 15 girls

English is like... 30 guys, 170 girls

it all evens out - percentage-wise
If my graduating class were to split between English and Maths, it would be like this:

Maths: 6 guys, 5 girls
English: Everyone else.

90% of us would totally pick English over Maths, haha. And maybe 75% of us wouldn't be in either. (I say 75%, because there's a number of people that actually do want to learn English in university. To improve their proficiency in it.)

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if you're not sure about the Politics minor - take the subject and see how you go in it. See if you're cut out for it. If not, it doesn't matter - you can always switch minors.

And membership fees would go to building up revenue for the club to do activities... but the membership fee is very small. Like $5 is paltry.

And O-Week Second Sem isn't as good as the start of year O-Week, and I hear it's not that great. But tell us how it goes (here, of course)

And when I say "English", I mean the study of English Literature and its analysis and deconstruction... not the English Language itself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)