2012 Semester 2 UNSW Chatter Thread (1 Viewer)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Well, if you're not sure about the Politics minor - take the subject and see how you go in it. See if you're cut out for it. If not, it doesn't matter - you can always switch minors.

And membership fees would go to building up revenue for the club to do activities... but the membership fee is very small. Like $5 is paltry.

And O-Week Second Sem isn't as good as the start of year O-Week, and I hear it's not that great. But tell us how it goes (here, of course)

And when I say "English", I mean the study of English Literature and its analysis and deconstruction... not the English Language itself.
I'll definitely give the Politics minor a whirl first. ;)

True, true. $5 isn't much. Just surprised that we have to pay at all. In my friends' universities, whenever a club wants to build revenue for an event, they'll have some sort of fundraising event and will urge their members to give some money for the event. This way ain't bad - in fact, it's a lot more organized. It's just surprising.

I guess I'll go on Wednesday and based on that, I'll see whether or not I'll go to the other days. (Though I do need to go on Friday. Have to attend a mandatory Under 18 Arrival Essentials workshop...)

No, no, I know what you mean by "English". And the ratios would still be like that, regardless of what type of "English" it is.

HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, I'm rather iffy on the Politics minor. It is important to know each country's political system and how it affects their relations with other countries, but to be honest, I find the entire subject rather bland. I have some interest in it, but it's not a burning, fiery interest. *sigh*

Extracurriculars! I'm definitely going to do some volunteer work, an internship, summer vacation jobs, etc. I want to explore each and every possibility that'll help expand my resume. I'm already looking for part time jobs, but the number of hours that I have to work are limited, and transportation is expensive, so my search isn't going as well as I'd like it to. Ah well, things will improve with time.

At first, I was thinking of working in Sydney after graduating, but now I'm thinking over that thought. Living in Sydney just seems so, well, inconvenient, from what I've experienced so far. Transportation is expensive and confusing. Shops close way too early. And shipping is expensive, even if you ship locally. (Er, hope I'm using the right terminology.) I grew up in Hong Kong, where you can get anywhere within an hour, no matter how far away from the city you live, so experiencing this inconvenience just feels... strange. Perhaps I'm better off in a place like New York, Tokyo, Seoul, etc. Places with skyscrapers, 24/7 stores, etc. But I'll experience the Australian life for a while longer before cementing my decision into stone.

As for doing well with whatever I choose - I'll do my best! ;)

Why do you have to pay an annual membership fee? My friends in other universities (in other countries) say that they've never had to pay for any club membership fee before. I find it rather strange that in UNSW, you normally have to pay an annual membership fee.

Also, since I'm going to all three days of O-Week, I might just sign up there. You're not going to test me on how well I know my K-POP, are you? I've only been converted for a year. I just know my Miss A, Super Junior, Shinee, Nu'Est, FT Island, Sistar, TVXQ/DBSK, JYJ, Younha, etc. (Is that good enough? ;D)
Yeah, I have a bit of interest in politics, but it's not so deep as my interest in Chinese and Korean. :/

Well you know, internships are pretty hard to get if you're doing accounting/finance majors, and you'll be lucky if you get one though. But if you're determined then I'm sure that you'll be able to get one, maybe even at a small firm.

And yes, Sydney closes way too early, it's what I hate about this city. Also transportation is pretty bad too. Nevertheless, people here are generally quite nice. Btw are you Chinese or a foreigner within HK?

Oh, well from this year onwards, they abolished ARC membership fees, meaning that in order to get money, most clubs now have to charge a small membership fee for every society they join. But then again, ARC membership used to be $69, and from there, you could join any society for free, provided that you paid the ARC membership fee.

And YES, if I find you, I will test you on duh how well you know duh kpop :p And from what you know, yeah, good enough for me. I've been a kpop fan for 3 years already. :p

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I have a bit of interest in politics, but it's not so deep as my interest in Chinese and Korean. :/

Well you know, internships are pretty hard to get if you're doing accounting/finance majors, and you'll be lucky if you get one though. But if you're determined then I'm sure that you'll be able to get one, maybe even at a small firm.

And yes, Sydney closes way too early, it's what I hate about this city. Also transportation is pretty bad too. Nevertheless, people here are generally quite nice. Btw are you Chinese or a foreigner within HK?

Oh, well from this year onwards, they abolished ARC membership fees, meaning that in order to get money, most clubs now have to charge a small membership fee for every society they join. But then again, ARC membership used to be $69, and from there, you could join any society for free, provided that you paid the ARC membership fee.

And YES, if I find you, I will test you on duh how well you know duh kpop :p And from what you know, yeah, good enough for me. I've been a kpop fan for 3 years already. :p
I'm absolutely determined to get an internship. There's a lot of money being invested in my education, and my family's financial situation isn't looking too good, so I have to do well.

I'm actually planning on achieving straight HDs for every course that I do - excluding that one mandatory Business Maths course, because I suck at advanced Maths. An almost impossible dream, maybe. But in my final high school semester, I was absolutely determined to get 90%+ in all of my courses as well. I wanted to end up with a final average of 90%+ (took the OSSD diploma, UNSW only requires an 81% average for that high school qualification) so that I could get accepted for Commerce in whatever university I applied to, despite my terrible Maths marks (barely passed advanced Maths). Getting all of my final semester's courses to 90%+ was extremely difficult though, because I was taking difficult courses, such as Chemistry 12. But in the end, all of my final semester's courses were 90%+, and I managed to get a place in UNSW for Commerce/Arts, yay!

So I'm absolutely determined to achieve those HDs and get those internships. And when I'm absolutely determined to do something, it's rather scary. One of the courses that I took in my final semester was Accounting 12. I wanted to get that 90%+ so badly, I spent a month on my final assignment, and submitted a 30+ page assignment on Research In Motion's financial position, its future, its corporate history, its business ethics, etc. I had pages and pages of balance sheets, income statements, financial ratios, stock market performance graphs, etc. My bibliography (or do you guys call 'em "works cited"?) was 6+ pages long! I ended up getting a full 100% on it, despite handing it in 5 minutes late (because I had to print it out and put it all together). My teacher (and all my friends) looked at me like I was nuts! (But hey, when I want those 90%+ grades because they'll benefit me, I'll work till the brink of death.)

Erm, technically, I was born in Hong Kong, but I'm not Chinese. I'm half-Japanese, half-Indonesian. Well, Chinese-Indonesian. It's all confusing... and stuff. You can think I'm Japanese though, since my passport is a Japanese passport...

Oh, I see. That's why most clubs now charge a membership fee. Well, it sure as heck beats the $69 ARC membership. $69 is ridiculously high. Was that a one time fee, or an annual fee?

If you ask me the names of the people in each group, I will give you the face that you see in the painting, The Screamer. I do know the names of some of the people in Super Junior, SNSD, etc. I know all the names of the members in Miss A and TVXQ/DBSK. But I generally focus on the music and not the people. (Unless you're talking about how good looking they are... that, I pay attention to.)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Half Indonesian, eh?

nama saya shadowdude

saya suka menonton televisi

(right? right?)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Half Indonesian, eh?

nama saya shadowdude

saya suka menonton televisi

(right? right?)
You're right, but I had to ask my dad to get what it meant. (Though I can kind of understand even without his help. Televisi = television, nama = name.)

Even though I'm Chinese-Indonesian, I can't speak Indonesian. My parents raised me as a native English speaker. They never taught me Indonesian, because they didn't want anyone to ever think I was Indonesian. It gets you nowhere... unless you're looking to make friends. Or so my mom says. She never wants to return to Indonesia or any country like it (ex: Malaysia).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You're right, but I had to ask my dad to get what it meant. (Though I can kind of understand even without his help. Televisi = television, nama = name.)

Even though I'm Chinese-Indonesian, I can't speak Indonesian. My parents raised me as a native English speaker. They never taught me Indonesian, because they didn't want anyone to ever think I was Indonesian. It gets you nowhere... unless you're looking to make friends. Or so my mom says. She never wants to return to Indonesia or any country like it (ex: Malaysia).
Haha dat subtle racism

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha dat subtle racism
Does it count as racism if you hate your own blood/nationality? XD

(Not me, my mom. I'm perfectly fine with Indonesia. My mom, who is Indonesian, has a problem with it. With the country, not the people.)

TomatoPuree

HSC
N/A
Has anyone got Accounting IB recognised as 'available' on their blackboard list, rather than 'unavailable' for Semester 2?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
i wish the arts faculty was better and offered more subjects :(
My first order of business if I ever become VC of a uni would be to abolish the arts faculty, I might keep languages though.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
My first order of business if I ever become VC of a uni would be to abolish the arts faculty, I might keep languages though.
and make UNSW live up to the moniker "university (of) no sexy women"? <_<

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone got Accounting IB recognised as 'available' on their blackboard list, rather than 'unavailable' for Semester 2?
I can, probably cause I did Accounting 1B last year and it is 100% confirmed that I have passed it.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Anyone willing to be my study partner for FIN1613?

Girls are highly preferable :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)