• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2014'ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
lol man chill! You're being too hard on yourself by the sounds of it.

Who said their performance in the first assessment = performance throughout the entire year? Each module is different.

Rivaille

HSC
You know you're at a retardedly competitive school when people start gossiping about how badly you did in a 10% 4U assessment task.
Worst thing was that the exam was super easy, so 1 silly mistake = 1 billion ranks. Fml.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
You know you're at a retardedly competitive school when people start gossiping about how badly you did in a 10% 4U assessment task.
Worst thing was that the exam was super easy, so 1 silly mistake = 1 billion ranks. Fml.
Wtf
People gossip about that kind of stuff? Woah that's so dumb lol at least gossip about something mildly interesting. And haha I feel about the ranks situation -.- so annoying when it happens aye

braintic

HSC
N/A
And this is exactly why assessments should NOT be normalised before adding.

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
ugh 2 days in and we have a physics assessment. He expected us to create and perform a projectile motion experiment all by ourselves (i didn't do too well). That's too much right? I'm thinking about dropping that subject since the teacher's very hands off (note: incomprehensible) and I have 14 units.

Also the only topic i'm interested in doing is quarks. I guess it's wrong to want to learn theoretical physics in high school xD

Anyone else had to do assessments/tests first day back?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ugh 2 days in and we have a physics assessment. He expected us to create and perform a projectile motion experiment all by ourselves (i didn't do too well). That's too much right? I'm thinking about dropping that subject since the teacher's very hands off (note: incomprehensible) and I have 14 units.

Also the only topic i'm interested in doing is quarks. I guess it's wrong to want to learn theoretical physics in high school xD

Anyone else had to do assessments/tests first day back?
Was this your first physics assessment for year 12? Projectile motion experiments are the hardest to do, usually one would predict a school would tend to avoid it since there is the possibility of projectiles hitting other people-unless of course, your classroom is very spacious. I would advise you to drop a subject if you are not performing particularly well at that subject(provided it is not English:))-since 14 units is a lot and you want to achieve your best ATAR. You can always read about quanta to quarks when you have time or after the HSC, don't endure 3 topics you won't like just for one good topic-it is not worth it. It is NOT wrong to want to learn theoretical physics-it is good, shows you are interested in science. But having said that, in senior years, you are expected to take on a lot more responsibility for your own learning, so it is hard to lay the blame all on the teacher unfortunately.

Remember to don't worry about it, stay positive and keep studying hard for all your other exams-best wishes for you to ace your HSC this year. By the way, out of curiosity, what was your other 12 units?

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
Was this your first physics assessment for year 12? Projectile motion experiments are the hardest to do, usually one would predict a school would tend to avoid it since there is the possibility of projectiles hitting other people-unless of course, your classroom is very spacious. I would advise you to drop a subject if you are not performing particularly well at that subject(provided it is not English:))-since 14 units is a lot and you want to achieve your best ATAR. You can always read about quanta to quarks when you have time or after the HSC, don't endure 3 topics you won't like just for one good topic-it is not worth it. It is NOT wrong to want to learn theoretical physics-it is good, shows you are interested in science. But having said that, in senior years, you are expected to take on a lot more responsibility for your own learning, so it is hard to lay the blame all on the teacher unfortunately.

Remember to don't worry about it, stay positive and keep studying hard for all your other exams-best wishes for you to ace your HSC this year. By the way, out of curiosity, what was your other 12 units?
Yeah, we didn't have the equipment to actually record the experiment so we could review it image by image as well, so that was difficult (especially when he refused to help last year). I'm not performing horribly, just enough that I gave up trying to improve in this subject. I'll try to drop it soon.

I'm doing 2+3U math, Ext+Adv english, ancient history, chemistry and economics. Thanks :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, we didn't have the equipment to actually record the experiment so we could review it image by image as well, so that was difficult (especially when he refused to help last year). I'm not performing horribly, just enough that I gave up trying to improve in this subject. I'll try to drop it soon.

I'm doing 2+3U math, Ext+Adv english, ancient history, chemistry and economics. Thanks :D
What do you intend to do in university?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I have no clue. Something to do with IT or business maybe? I wanted to do architecture or engineering but I really don't like math haha
I have a friend in architecture. It doesn't have too much maths involved. He did 2-unit and is fine with it (getting D's and HD's).

However, Engineering is heavily Math dependent. For IT, architecture and depending on your major in engineering, some Physics might be useful. However, it is not necessary and you most likely won't need Physics as assumed knowledge unless you choose to do Advanced Science or Science.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend in architecture. It doesn't have too much maths involved. He did 2-unit and is fine with it (getting D's and HD's).

However, Engineering is heavily Math dependent. For IT, architecture and depending on your major in engineering, some Physics might be useful. However, it is not necessary and you most likely won't need Physics as assumed knowledge unless you choose to do Advanced Science or Science.
Architects do more designing rather than calculations. The designs the (scaled down) blueprints of potential buildings and structures.

Engineers calculate tension, the amount of weight that can be withstood, etc... They analyse and put designs into implementation,

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Architects do more designing rather than calculations. The designs the (scaled down) blueprints of potential buildings and structures.

Engineers calculate tension, the amount of weight that can be withstood, etc... They analyse and put designs into implementation,

True.
Yeah I forgot to add that.

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to 2 separate universities engineering work experience and they all raved about how architecture still needs math, which did turn me off.

I'm for sure going to drop physics now since my experiment partner (the one I did on projectile motion) won't contact me/I can't contact her for the material (we recorded the projectile in flight with her phone.) Agh, would it impact your hsc if you drop a subject with an N award in it? I vaguely remember my teachers saying even the subjects you drop gets a grade

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I went to 2 separate universities engineering work experience and they all raved about how architecture still needs math, which did turn me off.

I'm for sure going to drop physics now since my experiment partner (the one I did on projectile motion) won't contact me/I can't contact her for the material (we recorded the projectile in flight with her phone.) Agh, would it impact your hsc if you drop a subject with an N award in it? I vaguely remember my teachers saying even the subjects you drop gets a grade
Why would you have an N award? Did you not attempt an assessment task or something?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You do not get a grade if you drop it.

Even if you do keep it with an N-award, all you need is to finish 10 units and you will get a HSC. You need to do 12 units in preliminary to get to HSC level. The other subjects don't matter.

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
You do not get a grade if you drop it.

Even if you do keep it with an N-award, all you need is to finish 10 units and you will get a HSC. You need to do 12 units in preliminary to get to HSC level. The other subjects don't matter.
Oh thank goodness

Why would you have an N award? Did you not attempt an assessment task or something?
Well it's a bit late to do my assessment task since my experiment partner forgot about the assignment (it's due tomorrow) and won't be home until ridiculously late to send me data. So most likely i'd get an N award unless I thread the needle and do something drastic

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Well it's a bit late to do my assessment task since my experiment partner forgot about the assignment (it's due tomorrow) and won't be home until ridiculously late to send me data. So most likely i'd get an N award unless I thread the needle and do something drastic
For some reasons, my teachers always said it was better to get 0 than to get an N award for a subject. Perhaps you can just hand the assignment in with your part and told the teacher the truth-that your partner forgot about the assignment-then you won't get an N award.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
How is everyone going as half yearlies are coming up?

My recommendation is not to bog down on finishing all your notes but get into past papers asap. This will really differentiate you because exam technique and the ability to analyse what the question is actually asking is the key for these type of tasks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)