2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
anyone planning to memorise essays for modern history?

might give it a try
Yes. I have an essay plan for every syllabus dot point that is assessible. That way there is nothing the markers can't throw anything I don't know. Modern you also have the luxury of getting to pick two essays. There are max 6-8 questions they can ask for national studies and conflict. Make 16 one page essay plans and memorise them. Profit.

HSC
UNSW main library is calling for you, Snow. The beanbags want to be sat on.

UNSW beanbags > all other beanbags (not just sayin this because I'm heavily biased, nope, not at all)
Guys, one of my fave peeps just popped by here!!!!

WHat are these legendary bean bags you speak of? I should actually get some as I study on the floor at times
You must be a professional bean bag tester

teridax

HSC
N/A
Yes. I have an essay plan for every syllabus dot point that is assessible. That way there is nothing the markers can't throw anything I don't know. Modern you also have the luxury of getting to pick two essays. There are max 6-8 questions they can ask for national studies and conflict. Make 16 one page essay plans and memorise them. Profit.
oooh, sounds good! were these one page essay plans handwritten or typed? and is it wise to ignore the essay Q's asked in last yr's paper for the national studies and conflict?

and so pretty much your study wasn't really memorising notes or content, but rather these essay plans, yes?

dirty_ink

HSC
Guys, one of my fave peeps just popped by here!!!!

WHat are these legendary bean bags you speak of? I should actually get some as I study on the floor at times
You must be a professional bean bag tester
Aww, you're my fav too (if you're coming to UNSW, jks)

I'll show you them one day haha. We can disturb the sleeping people too :)

HecticSandWitch

HSC
oooh, sounds good! were these one page essay plans handwritten or typed? and is it wise to ignore the essay Q's asked in last yr's paper for the national studies and conflict?

and so pretty much your study wasn't really memorising notes or content, but rather these essay plans, yes?
Typed, bc I like being able to add to them if need be(and bc my handwriting is bloody atrocious ahahahah).

I mean it'd definitely save you time, but I just like to have all bases covered. Realistically will they ask you the same question? Probably not. But they've asked nearly the same Weimar essay every year so I make sure that I have that for example.

Yep, it was borne out of necessity more than anything: My modern notes were 120+ pages when combined. I went overboard and needed a better way to remember the content.

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Yes confirmed there are literally only 16 possible essays and the markers can't ever change anything around.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Why is there always the most people on the English sub-forum? I mean there's barely any notes there.

calamebe

HSC
I'm so glad I won't have to do this, the only writing subject I have is English.

HecticSandWitch

HSC
Yes confirmed there are literally only 16 possible essays and the markers can't ever change anything around.
The markers can change wording around, but the same core topics remain the same.
I'll go over Germany.

1. Collapse of the Weimar Republic
For example, Weimar, every question will be on the collapse of the republic. Looking at your syllabus, it does not ask/care about social life in Weimar, only the issues that would eventually lead to its fall.
Hence, for Weimar, as long as you have an essay that deals with all aspects of the collapse, you can answer any question on Weimar. Even if the markers 'change things around' by specifying something they want you to talk about (which they more than often do) it's a 'too what extent' or an 'evaluate the impact of xyz on the collapse'. Hence, all you need to say is that it played an important role, but other factors contributed, and you're golden. I have one large essay plan here.

2. Rise of the Nazi Party
Now it's rare that they'll ask anything from here, but they have recently in the form of 'Outline the Nazi Party's Consolidation of Power between 1933-34'. I have two essays from this section, one for the rise of NSDAP and the other the consolidation of power. They won't ask a question on Hitler's accession of power because it requires absolutely no critical analysis whatsoever, and even if they did, students should probably avoid it like a rash, bc it'd be near impossible to earn an A.

3. Nazism in Power
This is where the bulk of the Non Weimar Questions will come from.
I have an essay on Hitler's role in the Nazi state
Nazism as totalarianism
Role of propaganda and repression
Nothing on cultural life because again, no critical thought whatsoever, simply will not get asked. IF it did get asked, it's just an extension of nazi racial policy and totalarianism.
Nazi racial policy essay.

4. Foreign Policy
I have one for effectiveness and one for the impact on ideology.

Total Essay Count: 9

I'm not saying that writing a practice essay for every single dot point is some sort of easy fix. It's far from easy, and a good plan should take upwards of 1.5 hours to research, structure and write. That's something like 25-30 hours of just writing plans. Then learning all these plans, you're looking at 40 hours of modern studying! But what you get out of it is far more effective then just reading your 120+ page notes over and over again, at least, it is for me. Everyone study's differently, and my way of studying might not be the best for everyone! More than anything, these essay plans are really just condensed notes that are structured in the form of an argument rather than just content, and it's that sense of argument that I find separates the B's from the A's in Modern :)

HecticSandWitch

HSC
I'm so glad I won't have to do this, the only writing subject I have is English.
To be honest, as long as you do the work consistently throughout the year (and this applies to all subjects) you won't feel the full brunt of it! Accelerated 4U tho, woah.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
There is quite a bit of writing for japanese, though nowhere near as much (or painful) as English

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Is year 12 jap a big jump from yr11?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
no where near as much as the jump from 10 to 11. Actually felt more like starting a new topic than a new year. I feel that languages are the only subject which get easier over time cause you become more and more fluent as you continue learning while the content itself stays at the same level of difficulty.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Typed, bc I like being able to add to them if need be(and bc my handwriting is bloody atrocious ahahahah).

I mean it'd definitely save you time, but I just like to have all bases covered. Realistically will they ask you the same question? Probably not. But they've asked nearly the same Weimar essay every year so I make sure that I have that for example.

Yep, it was borne out of necessity more than anything: My modern notes were 120+ pages when combined. I went overboard and needed a better way to remember the content.
sk

So then in turn, when you memorised your essay plans, do you just practice essays accordingly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)