2015ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiction

HSC
Say, for example, you get a raw assessment mark of 80. Then you go into HSC and get a raw exam mark of 70. The BoS align this according to their standards (Step 4 in http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/determining-achievement.html), so they might align to a 75 for instance. Then the BoS uses this mark to 'moderate' your assessment mark as I described earlier - but there's only one person in your cohort, which means that you will get the exact same moderated assessment mark as your aligned exam mark - so you'll get a 75 for both. These two marks are the ones you receive, and your final HSC mark is the average of the two.
Can you also explain the difference between aligning and scaling? They've always converged into the same meaning for me :c

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
Can you also explain the difference between aligning and scaling? They've always converged into the same meaning for me :c
Aligning is the process which the BOSTES does to your HSC exam mark, it is described in great detail on that page I posted

Scaling is completely separate from the BOSTES: scaling is the term used to describe the process in which UAC determines your ATAR.

Hence someone who may simply be completing one HSC subject (as I did last year, for instance) will be subject to aligning, but not scaling, because scaling is to do with UAC and ATAR

Ekman

HSC
For a 6-8 minute speech, what should be the recommended max word count if I was to say it at medium pace?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
For a 6-8 minute speech, what should be the recommended max word count if I was to say it at medium pace?
Well if it takes about 5mins for 800 words, then you might need about 900-1000 words for a 6-8 minute speech.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say around 800-900 maximum for the speech.

Try timing yourself reading out an essay or something?

Fiction

HSC
Aligning is the process which the BOSTES does to your HSC exam mark, it is described in great detail on that page I posted

Scaling is completely separate from the BOSTES: scaling is the term used to describe the process in which UAC determines your ATAR.

Hence someone who may simply be completing one HSC subject (as I did last year, for instance) will be subject to aligning, but not scaling, because scaling is to do with UAC and ATAR
Sweet c:
So are subjects like maths ext 2, aligned and scaled? Is every subject aligned and scaled?
Why do people go standard english aligns badly, but not scaled badly? Does it make a difference? (I mean, both alter the mark)

StudyToDeath

HSC
3/7 trial exams done. Freedom is just around the corner for me :D Jokes...I have two exams on Monday:uhoh:

nikki_chatti

HSC
N/A
I did the UMAT Practice Test 1 and only got 86 out of 134... is that bad of good?!?! Now I'm more nervous for UMAT in like 2 weeks :|

Occupied

HSC
N/A
I did the UMAT Practice Test 1 and only got 86 out of 134... is that bad of good?!?! Now I'm more nervous for UMAT in like 2 weeks :|
no idea
mayb make a thread? cuz alot of ppl on 2015 thread wont have done the umat yet/limited experience therefore wont rly know lol
just a thought :p

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Sweet c:
So are subjects like maths ext 2, aligned and scaled? Is every subject aligned and scaled?
Why do people go standard english aligns badly, but not scaled badly? Does it make a difference? (I mean, both alter the mark)
Yeah every subject is scaled and aligned.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Quick question, can someone use Julius Caesar as a related text for Module C?

studded

HSC
Fellow English Advanced course takers, would it be a good idea to prepare for the two papers by writing notes underneath the sentences of each module's rubric like this?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Fellow English Advanced course takers, would it be a good idea to prepare for the two papers by writing notes underneath the sentences of each module's rubric like this?

Having supplementary notes in addition to any prepared essays or paragraphs isn't a bad idea :)

Flop21

HSC

For the comprehension / unseen texts, yes.

Pls can I have them when you write them up.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
I never really write notes for english to be honest, I personally found it a waste of time.

But if works for you, then go for it (although at this stage of trial prep, you should be creating thematic paragraphs and writing practice intros to different essay Q's to maintain your general thesis of discovery).

Your choice though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
+1

If it helps you to focus more on the rubric aspects while writing essays, then do it, but personally I wouldn't find it heaps useful for most of the modules - maybe AoS though - simply because the module rubrics are a bit more straightforward, and are quite broad in their scope.

rawrliongirl

HSC
You know you're losing it when you start explaining chemistry to your pet rabbit.... o.o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)