• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Quite a random and specific question, but does anyone have any recommendations for related texts for 'The Tempest'? I have an essay due on Friday and my teacher disapproves of all my related texts so I'm kind of screwed :/
Maybe a short story by Poe?

leehuan

HSC
@Nailgun

Should've PMd it. Now everyone who looks at BoS knows to use that as a related now

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
This might help, I wrote it awhile ago

"Ulysses is a poem depicting the mythical hero Ulysses during his ruling of his country Ithaca following his adventures post-Trojan War. He is discontent with domestic life, and contemplates the inevitability of age and death. He comes to the conclusion that he is simply made to be an explorer, and regardless of the ravages of time, he will always be an explorer – a discoverer – at heart.
The poem represents complex notions of discovery, namely the way discovery and discoveries can offer new understandings and renewed perceptions of ourselves. Ulysses undergoes introspection through the course of the poem, and in doing so, comes to a greater understanding of his being. He evaluates his present domesticity describing with a dejected tone, himself as ‘an idle king’ where the use of negative diction to implies a dissatisfaction with the lifestyle of ruling, “a savage race, that hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.” The use of cumulative listing in conjunction with the negative tone further emphasizes the dissatisfaction Ulysses experiences as a result of his domesticity. However, it is this evaluation which allows him to progress in his self-understanding as he identifies what he finds lacking in that lifestyle. It is the absence of adventure, of his purpose which leads to his dissatisfaction in life. “How dull it is to pause, to make an end," uses isocolon in order to demonstrate the realisation that it is the contrast of his former life of adventure and present life of domesticity which leads to his dissatisfaction, and hence therein lies the issue he faces. This realisation forces him to challenge his perceptions of self, and he eventually concludes quite simply that, he is what he is. “He works his work, I mine.” where the asyndeton is used to illustrate that Ulysses has come to terms with his being. The quote, “Tho' much is taken, much abides;” utilises anaphora and isocolon to emphasize that regardless of the ravages of time, Ulysses has discovered a security in his being – he knows who he is, and who he will always be, and hence challenges the assumption that time has taken his capacity for heroism and adventure."

The technqiues are really dodgy though lol cuz I wrote it for a hw task not worth anything so i did it quickly

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
@Nailgun

Should've PMd it. Now everyone who looks at BoS knows to use that as a related now
i dont think many people check the chit chat thread lell
plus i probs wasnt gna use it anyways

do you want me to edit it out shuuya? might be beneficial lele

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Why didn't you do mafs smh

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
omg sien i clicked on your biology thread and now i feel physically ill just looking at the diagram elelel
how can you enjoy that :haha:

leehuan

HSC
HEHEHHEHE I can see MOST Skype notifications, can't reply ; ; I internally cry ~

UMARU-chan is the crying hamster girl that I had as my profile some time ago ~
Well... I'd rather not distract you from learning D: <

LOL OH

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Legs.

Also, if I took a photo in class I would've had my phone confiscated lmao
As you can see, the front is void of my teacher's existence LOL - they generally don't care but it's disrespectful if you do it while they talk and teach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)