2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

brbstudying

HSC
speaking of distractions, what do y'all think of keeping or maintaining social media use throughout the year?

jjuunnee

HSC
speaking of distractions, what do y'all think of keeping or maintaining social media use throughout the year?
Probably keep social media unless if it really distracts you from school work. But even then, there are many ways you can not get distracted eg. putting your phone away, using certain apps. Social media is also good if you work with others eg. we have fb groups where we post questions and stuff

Frostguard

HSC
IMO without social media I'd go crazy, I need to stay updated with what's happening at school, with my friends (snapchat lmfao) and most importantly: the memes. I don't think it's a good mindset to completely detach yourself from society and live in a technologically isolated lifestyle which may even contribute to burning out lol...
As June said there are some apps that are helpful, my Eco class uses Slack/Edmodo where we regularly receive PowerPoint slides and all that sorta stuff to read over the content as well as Facebook Messenger Grouo chats being pretty lit (sometimes.... well actually only before exams and assessments lol)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly depends what you use social media for, and how much time you spend on it. Having class study groups where people post questions can be helpful if your peers answer (+ faster feedback then relying on a teacher for example).

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Okay guys, I've been having issues with my school's english faculty, but I'm also not sure if this is normal within schools.

I got my Extension 2 English proposal back and I only got 80% (rank 2/2 :( ), even though i handed in a draft for it a week before submission, hoping i could reach 95%+. My teacher only had one piece of feedback to give me, and it was about the formatting of the proposal (I used dot points in it, but they said it would be better to use numbering, so I changed it). However, when I got it back, i was given my mark along with about 10 pieces of feedback which weren't given back with my draft i handed the week before!

This has happened with extension 1 english in year 11, when i handed in a creative writing draft, which my teacher said was really good and that it was much less repetitive than my last creative (which was what i had issues with), and that the language was much more show rather than tell. And when I wrote it in the exam, i got 14/20 and was roasted for an overly repetitive plot line and odd language which i was told had been fixed through my drafting process!

I'm literally so mad and I'm honestly clueless with what I should do with English. I'm not getting the marks I want no matter how hard I try, and the teachers are not helping me achieve my best, no matter how much i ask them. I also can't get tutoring as my family can't afford it, and also I live rurally (6hr drive/8hr train away from Sydney), so tutoring options are extremely limited in my regional town :( Am I crazy? Is this normal practice for most school's english faculties and am I just being too fussy? Or should this not be happening?

jjuunnee

HSC
Okay guys, I've been having issues with my school's english faculty, but I'm also not sure if this is normal within schools.

I got my Extension 2 English proposal back and I only got 80% (rank 2/2 :( ), even though i handed in a draft for it a week before submission, hoping i could reach 95%+. My teacher only had one piece of feedback to give me, and it was about the formatting of the proposal (I used dot points in it, but they said it would be better to use numbering, so I changed it). However, when I got it back, i was given my mark along with about 10 pieces of feedback which weren't given back with my draft i handed the week before!

This has happened with extension 1 english in year 11, when i handed in a creative writing draft, which my teacher said was really good and that it was much less repetitive than my last creative (which was what i had issues with), and that the language was much more show rather than tell. And when I wrote it in the exam, i got 14/20 and was roasted for an overly repetitive plot line and odd language which i was told had been fixed through my drafting process!

I'm literally so mad and I'm honestly clueless with what I should do with English. I'm not getting the marks I want no matter how hard I try, and the teachers are not helping me achieve my best, no matter how much i ask them. I also can't get tutoring as my family can't afford it, and also I live rurally (6hr drive/8hr train away from Sydney), so tutoring options are extremely limited in my regional town :( Am I crazy? Is this normal practice for most school's english faculties and am I just being too fussy? Or should this not be happening?
This sometimes happens in our school. With our last eng adv assessment, we had to write a narrative and do a reading task. With the narratives, we had to hand in drafts before we were given the assessment task. Using my friend as an example, they got extremely good feedback from our teacher and basically had nothing to improve on. When we got our assessment task, they didn't even need to change it because it fitted perfectly with the question/stimulus. However, they ended up getting like 11 or 12/15. I don't know what they lost marks on, but apparently our teacher said that it depends on the teacher marking it whether they like it or not, and also she said that my friend's narrative was really good as a draft, but the fact that she did not change it at all made it so that it was only average as a final narrative. She also mentioned that teachers don't want to give you too much feedback because in the end you have to write the narrative yourself, but I find that a bit funny because she didn't give any feedback on my friend's, plus we didn't even have the assessment task yet.

I just realised that that little story may have been unnecessary (sorry!), but the extremely conflicting feedback you got may be because a different teacher marked it??? But even then that's really unusual. I think the most you can do is to consistently ask your teachers for ways to improve your tasks, and maybe go through your stuff together, that way you know that they're going through it properly Plus, you can also ask questions along the way and they can give you direct responses (hopefully). I don't think tutoring is needed but if you can peer assess your work with friends then that might help

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC

Story of every student's life... it's ridiculous LOL why don't they give the feedback the first time lmao

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
2 weeks down guys, I've been reminded that we only have 140 days or so (depending on holidays) left our of schooling career D:

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone here wanna go to BoS carrots/trebla trial paper with me? Im really geed to go

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Anyone here wanna go to BoS carrots/trebla trial paper with me? Im really geed to go
That's still a few terms away! Also it's not confirmed if it will be on but we'll keep you updated.

brbstudying

HSC
2 weeks down guys, I've been reminded that we only have 140 days or so (depending on holidays) left our of schooling career D:
So insane!

But I'm not nervous, or anxious. Or stressed.

Instead, I force myself to feel grateful and it really helps! For example, I'm grateful that HSC is teaching me a lot about time management, waking up at 5am (on a 10 day streak with this), RESILIENCE (so important, but difficult...) and the importance of a clear mind. Before Year 12, I was, without getting too personal, living in my head A LOT. Of course, that's not good for mental health, wellbeing, etc. But HSC is good in the way that I'm forced to stay present or "in the moment" while studying or learning. Also, the issue with confidence... Before Year 12, I used to let one bad slip-up (doesn't have to be about school) or one bad mark ruin my entire day. But the HSC forces you to stay positive, no matter how adverse the circumstances.

Roll on 2018 cohort! :) We got this!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
So insane!

Instead, I force myself to feel grateful and it really helps! For example, I'm grateful that HSC is teaching me a lot about time management, waking up at 5am (on a 10 day streak with this), RESILIENCE (so important, but difficult...) and the importance of a clear mind. Before Year 12, I was, without getting too personal, living in my head A LOT. Of course, that's not good for mental health, wellbeing, etc. But HSC is good in the way that I'm forced to stay present or "in the moment" while studying or learning. Also, the issue with confidence... Before Year 12, I used to let one bad slip-up (doesn't have to be about school) or one bad mark ruin my entire day. But the HSC forces you to stay positive, no matter how adverse the circumstances.

The HSC changes most people! Good luck

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
So insane!

Awesome to here!
Not sure how you are going to wake up at 5am when you are on BoS at 11:31pm but best of luck!

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Just had our last swimming carnival today, very bittersweet for my friends and I

Hard to believe the amount of "lasts" we'll all be having throughout the year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)