2018ers Chit-Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
anyone gotten their half yearlies back? How did you go?
pretty good given that i half-assed everything
lost my 1st rank in eng by one mark fml
still happy though, just taking things one assessment at a time

Bina8

HSC
Should I bother anymore or just give up?
I'm doing so shit
Is there a point in trying anymore?

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Should I bother anymore or just give up?
I'm doing so shit
Is there a point in trying anymore?
I think you should keep trying even if it seems difficult or pointless. If you feel your study isnt helping, a few things you can do include:

- Talking to your teachers about your assessment marks and working with them to figure out how to improve in the future. Your teachers know that you're in Year 12 so they will be extremely happy to help. They know what you need to do well and they're probably the most suitable people to talk to, as they can tell you about what to include in your answers in the future to get you the best marks.

- Experimenting with new and different study techniques, if you feel that the way you study isn't really working. There are a lot of big threads on BoS that talk about ways to study that worked for different people (i.e the ones writing the threads). Also just google searching different study methods will give you a few options that you can try out over the next couple of weeks/months.

- Talking to your year advisor (not sure if all schools have one?), as they can help you get a few areas sorted, such as giving you more study techniques, organisation skills, stress relief ideas, and establishing communication between you, your teachers and the year advisor.

- Setting goals that are clear and that are manageable/achievable (basically try to set goals that are attainable with the amount of study time and energy that you feel you can realistically put in, but not too low as it might not be very rewarding once achieved). Reflect on your current assessment results, then think about what results you would like to see yourself get in the future, and look at the gap between the two, to give you an idea of how much more you should work. This sort of ties in with study methods as well, because improvement is largely about the ways you study, and changing those ways if they don't work.

Keep trying because I know that you want to do well :) and I think by talking to teachers and other people at school, changing some study methods around, and setting some achievable goals, it would help you improve. I hope this helped a bit and that it makes sense, etc

Bina8

HSC
I think you should keep trying even if it seems difficult or pointless. If you feel your study isnt helping, a few things you can do include:

- Talking to your teachers about your assessment marks and working with them to figure out how to improve in the future. Your teachers know that you're in Year 12 so they will be extremely happy to help. They know what you need to do well and they're probably the most suitable people to talk to, as they can tell you about what to include in your answers in the future to get you the best marks.

- Experimenting with new and different study techniques, if you feel that the way you study isn't really working. There are a lot of big threads on BoS that talk about ways to study that worked for different people (i.e the ones writing the threads). Also just google searching different study methods will give you a few options that you can try out over the next couple of weeks/months.

- Talking to your year advisor (not sure if all schools have one?), as they can help you get a few areas sorted, such as giving you more study techniques, organisation skills, stress relief ideas, and establishing communication between you, your teachers and the year advisor.

- Setting goals that are clear and that are manageable/achievable (basically try to set goals that are attainable with the amount of study time and energy that you feel you can realistically put in, but not too low as it might not be very rewarding once achieved). Reflect on your current assessment results, then think about what results you would like to see yourself get in the future, and look at the gap between the two, to give you an idea of how much more you should work. This sort of ties in with study methods as well, because improvement is largely about the ways you study, and changing those ways if they don't work.

Keep trying because I know that you want to do well :) and I think by talking to teachers and other people at school, changing some study methods around, and setting some achievable goals, it would help you improve. I hope this helped a bit and that it makes sense, etc
Wow thank you :)
I just feel tired all the time and everytime I try to study, nothing sinks in
But I will try

brbstudying

HSC
anyone gotten their half yearlies back? How did you go?
I got 90+ in all subjects except Ancient History. >.< Darn changing interpretations of archaeologists FROM THE 1960s... A+ to me for writing an entire page about Giuseppe Fiorelli, who is 1800s.

But then again, the question did say to write about changing interpretations of archaeologists from the 19th and 20th century... so technically speaking, Giuseppe Fiorelli does fit into that criteria. Really wish my teacher clarified this misunderstanding before the exam. This would've raised my mark up to AT LEAST a 90, which was what I was going for.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
Wow thank you :)
I just feel tired all the time and everytime I try to study, nothing sinks in
But I will try
All good :)

I'm not like an expert or anything, but I know when people have mental illness like depression or anxiety, it suppresses the creation of hormones like dopamine and another one that I forget, but basically without a good amount of these hormones, your frontal lobe (aka. the part of the brain that does a lot of your thinking/memorisation stuff, so it's used a lot during studying) doesn't work as well, which might be why you have issues with memory/information retention. Mental illness also can make you quite tired. If possible, I think getting any sort of help for mental health would improve the studying aspect as well (help through call centres, counseling, talking to trusted people in your life), thus translating into improved results so I'd definitely recommend finding some sort of help if possible.

eaglerock1947

HSC
Hey guys i was just wondering whether anyone has started preparing for the externals and if so, how are you balancing study for the upcoming assessments with the looming external exams?

PikyoK

HSC
Hey guys i was just wondering whether anyone has started preparing for the externals and if so, how are you balancing study for the upcoming assessments with the looming external exams?
External Exams?

Frostguard

HSC
Hey guys how do I get over an awful Half Yearly Exam????????
send help I'm actually so sad my mark is more tragic than Shakespeare's tragedies lol
I got less than 65% in Economics and my first assessment was 85% and my topic tests are usually 75%+ lol..............
I'm normally good at essay writing subjects (got B5/B6/E4 for my three other humanities) but why did I do so tragically in eco??
If any of you could give me any words of consolation I would be so happy! :frown2:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys how do I get over an awful Half Yearly Exam????????
send help I'm actually so sad my mark is more tragic than Shakespeare's tragedies lol
I got less than 65% in Economics and my first assessment was 85% and my topic tests are usually 75%+ lol..............
I'm normally good at essay writing subjects (got B5/B6/E4 for my three other humanities) but why did I do so tragically in eco??
If any of you could give me any words of consolation I would be so happy! :frown2:
What'd other people get? Also dw being sad about it will just make you do worse. Nearly everyone has a bad assessment it's inevitable, like one time I got 11/20 in english speech and also got 46/70 in mx1 one time (got beaten by 13 marks and lost rank) so dw :D

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
How have timetables been for everyone?

From the subjects listed in my signature, I'm reasonably happy as the closest 2 exams get is 1 day apart, 30th for MX1 and 1st for Physics

I feel bad for my friend though, as she has Week 2: Tue - Ancient | Wed - Bio | Thurs - Genny maths | Fri - Ext History!! Yikes
Timetable:

- Music Composition & 3 pracs due in september
- 18/10 English Paper 1
- 19/10 English Paper 2, Music 2 Theory
- 23/10 Financial Services
- 25/10 4U Maths
- 30/10 3U Maths

I was feeling kind of bad about having all my exams kind of squished in (since I finish within the first two weeks) but looking at some other people's, I'm happy that apart from Music and English, the others are pretty well spaced out.

Just don't get why Music has to be on Paper 2 day.

Frostguard

HSC
Hey everyone!! How is everybody going for their Term 2 assessments??? I'm drowning because I have assessments for all 7 of my subjects (I'm getting maths on like monday or something lol)
Can't wait for the upcoming Trials timetables!! (Let's hope the timetabler doesn't put legal and eco together again haha)

jjuunnee

HSC
Hey everyone!! How is everybody going for their Term 2 assessments??? I'm drowning because I have assessments for all 7 of my subjects (I'm getting maths on like monday or something lol)
Can't wait for the upcoming Trials timetables!! (Let's hope the timetabler doesn't put legal and eco together again haha)
Not too bad! I only do 10 units because I dropped music around 2wks ago, so I don't have too many assessments this term! My first one is bio which is on Tuesday and it's just a prac and then I think I have another 2 wks before my next assessment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)