2018ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
My timetable isn't too bad - only thing I'm nervous about is Physics and Legal Studies being on the same day, and the night before I have a school-related function, meaning I can't study OTL
I'm dropping Physics anyways, but Legal Studies is super competitive lmao

Good luck to everyone on your yearlies!!

kendallkreene

HSC
I have an exam in less than 4 hours. Did not study very effectively and consistently throughout the term, so this is my first time in my entire high school life that I am cramming the night and morning before an exam. I'll be happy to pull a solid 80, but i'll tell y'all how it goes

It just seems better to cram in Year 11 than 12, plus I just want to test my short-term memory. It's not like it's the prelims :p
Update on this! I got 23/25.

Now to conquer the prelims by ... cramming. Again.

Gonna cram Modern notes tonight (willing to stay up the entire night).
Then English on Sunday.
Then Legal on Monday.

This is my first time in my entire high school life have I ever crammed. While it may somewhat work, the stress and self-hatred of wasted time honestly isn't worth it. Mind me saying I don't recommend cramming to anyone for the sake of their mental and psychological health. (or not. That may be just me. So, correction: I wouldn't recommend cramming to anyone who's a NEUROTIC personality type.)

Either way, BE ORGANISED GUYS!!

Last edited:

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Update on this! I got 23/25.

Now to conquer the prelims by ... cramming. Again.

Gonna cram Modern notes tonight (willing to stay up the entire night).
Then English on Sunday.
Then Legal on Monday.

This is my first time in my entire high school life have I ever crammed. While it may somewhat work, the stress and self-hatred of wasted time honestly isn't worth it. Mind me saying I don't recommend cramming to anyone for the sake of their mental and psychological health. (or not. That may be just me. So, correction: I wouldn't recommend cramming to anyone who's a NEUROTIC personality type.)

Either way, BE ORGANISED GUYS!!
I've found myself in the same situation - I've got prelims over the next two weeks and I haven't started studying for anything. Been cramming all term and I absolutely hate it. Definitely organising my time better in yr12
Best of luck on the rest of your exams :)

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Lmao I know its a bit early to ask (I have an art exam I should be studying for right now lol) but should I be spending next school holidays prepping for Yr 12 or just relaxing?

Frostguard

HSC
Now that my exams are done, I wanna see how everyone else did?
My worst was English Advanced (didn't finish in time imao and the percentages were weird)
My most confident is probably between Legal and Modern.... Probably Legal because if I don't do well, I won't be first anymore LOL

comic_freak

HSC
Lmao I know its a bit early to ask (I have an art exam I should be studying for right now lol) but should I be spending next school holidays prepping for Yr 12 or just relaxing?
I was thinking about it too. Tbh I'm going to do both. Spend maybe half an hour at most on each subject as a 'quick' revision and perhaps make a timetable to follow when I start year 12. Then spend the rest of the day chilling. I mean year 11 was terrible. I procrastinated so much and didn't get anything done on time. For the prelims I studied the day before for every single subject. I'm doing it right now... for Chem.

Frostguard

HSC
Yeah I'll probably do what Comic's doing too, relaxing and reading up on some Year 12 content, if you have textbooks for your HSC subjects, I would suggest looking at the HSC syllabus and checking up what you'll be learning at school and preparing yourself for what the HSC's going to do to our poor little souls and we will pray we can survive and get the ATARs we want :D

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Woot woot art exam went well despite 30min studying right before the exam. Never doing that again tho

Ah I see. Yeah I'll probably do a little bit of revision and look over topics and stuff. I've gotta think about major works as well since Vis Arts and Society and Culture both have majors. Thanks for both of your suggestions!!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I did the first module for bio and phys in the holidays it helped heaps

HoldingOn

HSC
My worst was English Advanced (didn't finish in time imao and the percentages were weird)
My most confident is probably between Legal and Modern.... Probably Legal because if I don't do well, I won't be first anymore LOL
Advanced was my best haha got 100

Learn1

HSC
Hey does anyone have any SOR 2 practice papers?
Sorry or any tips going into Chem, SOR 2, Ag and Mathematics? I have the four over two days so I'm kinda concerned.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

And I hope everyone's doing well in their exams.

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
I did the first module for bio and phys in the holidays it helped heaps
Do you think HSC Biology is more interesting than Prelim Bio? I think Y11 Bio is really dry and boring, I've heard Y12 is better? Also with the options too?

Frostguard

HSC
Advanced was my best haha got 100
You're a god
Mine was weird because it was out of 50, 25% all together, Belonging, Short Answers (15 mk) and Creative (also 15mk) was 5% but at 30 marks (lol???) and Module C was 20% at 20 marks. Essentially the entire cohort started the essay first and some spent so much time on Module C they didn't even bother attempting the creative, which is 15 marks but only worth 2.5%, that's why I was kinda bummed out because I at least wanted to attempt all sections but looking back I should've spent more time on my Mod C essay.....

Lumenoria

HSC
I've done all my exams, except for English Extension which is on Monday next week! I bombed biology for sure, I went in there and sat through the entire 2 hours doing nothing because I couldn't answer a single question. No, I'm not exaggerating—I'll be lucky to get 10% lol. Had economics this morning, it was alright but that extended response question was fucking traumatic... didn't expect it at ALL. I was so prepared for something else and of course, it's nowhere near the actual thing.. sigh. I also left a few questions, planning to come back to them, but I didn't have time, ahh. I really hope I get 85+, though I doubt it. The exam, like you, that I'm most annoyed about is Advanced English. Holy crap, I am so salty... I can't even express it in words. I wrote out my Mod B essay in way longer than it should've taken, and it ended up compromising my time for Section 1 (unseen texts, short answers), so I didn't end up finishing the 5 mark extended response. I had 5 minutes left and I hadn't even started it, ughhh. Spent way too long on the 3 mark questions unnecessarily. The texts were pretty good aswell, so I reckon if I had managed my time better, I would've probably gotten full on it. Instead I wrote a half assed analysis that probably only got 2.5/5, at max. So, for the entirety of the English exam, the most I can get is probably 27.5/30, which I won't be able to attain anyway. The anxiety is killing me, because the school requires you to get 85+ (25.5/30) to remain in Advanced, otherwise you get cut to Standard. So, I'm really relying on my essay to get full marks, or close to full, to pull me through. Fuck my life. Also, legal, I think I fucked up because it took me far too long to adapt my essay to the question. What took me 45 mins to write out at home, ended up taking 1 hour 20 mins.. the question forced me to completely change the structure. I'll probably end up losing my ranking... ugh. And I'm not keen for English Extension either, I'm not as prepared as I usually am—hell I probably won't even have time to hand in a draft to my teacher. So, I'll probably lose 3rd in that too.. woo. I don't even know if I have the mental capacity to memorise a total of 2500 (essay+creative).. ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Do you think HSC Biology is more interesting than Prelim Bio? I think Y11 Bio is really dry and boring, I've heard Y12 is better? Also with the options too?
Yeah HSC content is way more interesting it was fun researching it, and we do Communication which is really interesting to learn about

biology or economics? which one is better?
I either plan to do something healthcare/medicine/allied health related or accounting/banking/finance related in uni.
Is bio necessary in uni for med or the allied healths?
Mostly no prerequisites for med so no, you don't need bio

Frostguard

HSC
biology or economics? which one is better?
I either plan to do something healthcare/medicine/allied health related or accounting/banking/finance related in uni.
Is bio necessary in uni for med or the allied healths?
Depends what kinda person you are, I usually see Maths/Science or Humanities student, but in saying that Biology is kind of 'recommended knowledge' for Medicine and the other Health subjects.
Biology is technically the lowest scaling of the three Sciences (Chem, Phys then Bio), probably because in Science, teachers don't want to you write as much as you want but rather want you to get to the point, they also want you to use the correct terminology and words or otherwise you lose marks (seriously). However don't let scaling out you off, if you truly love Science then pick the subject and if you think it'll help towards university prerequisites and assumed knowledge, then by all means take. Also I think Y11 Bio is really boring, in Y12, I think it gets better and you have options (Communication, Human Story, Genetics etc)

Economics scales higher than most Humanities students and thus higher than Bio because there is A LOT of memorisation and the subject basically tests your memory and ability to regurgitate and apply information. In Economics, you'll get a lot of essays, short answers and all that sort of stuff, (Bio doesn't really have essays, just SA and MC). Take this subject if you love essay-writing and it'll help you in the business and economical sector, but if you feel you are struggling in this subject, get out ASAP, my school sees Economics as the most dropped subject (usually half the cohort drops eg 70 kids to 30 ish kids) , mainly because there's so much content and memorisation involved and they can't keep up.

Basically choose the one you love more, and don't let external factors such as scaling influence your decision, but in saying that, Bio is probably 'required' for uni medicine and stuff, yeah I'm not really sure, maybe ask in a new thread or something?

Learn1

HSC
Is it better to study with music or without music?

Frostguard

HSC
Is it better to study with music or without music?
I think that's up to you, personally I don't listen to music because I find it distracting, I just study in complete silence lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)