• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2023 HSC chat (2 Viewers)

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
we have a decent cohort (the top three of us are sitting at like 90+ weighted average) but then we have some people who keep dropping low to mid 70s :/
Dunno how to lift them up
is it problem if some people are sitting in the bottom 60s-70s?? like will it affect me lol cus in some of my subs i'm getting like 90s+ but rest of my classmates r kinda... not studious

dav53521

HSC
we have a decent cohort (the top three of us are sitting at like 90+ weighted average) but then we have some people who keep dropping low to mid 70s :/
Dunno how to lift them up
Well I had a similar thing but people were dropping like 60s or 70s or lower and if they don't really want to pull their weight you can't really do anything but try to do well.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
is it problem if some people are sitting in the bottom 60s-70s?? like will it affect me lol cus in some of my subs i'm getting like 90s+ but rest of my classmates r kinda... not studious
like kinda not really? theres nothing you can do about internals but once you get to externals, you want everyone in your cohort to be within as tight a range as possible

think of it like a rubber band, if you have someone really bad bottoming and someone really good topping, that elastic is super stretched out and all of your [cohort] marks will be stretched out across the range. compare that to a tight high range where everyone is performing well and close together (e.g. all within 80s-90s) everyone's marks will be less affected...

@carrotsss seems to get this better than me, maybe he wants to explain?
also @jimmysmith560 could you possibly explain this?

yolo tengo

mitsuya's fanboy
HSC
like kinda not really? theres nothing you can do about internals but once you get to externals, you want everyone in your cohort to be within as tight a range as possible

think of it like a rubber band, if you have someone really bad bottoming and someone really good topping, that elastic is super stretched out and all of your [cohort] marks will be stretched out across the range. compare that to a tight high range where everyone is performing well and close together (e.g. all within 80s-90s) everyone's marks will be less affected...

omfg that's the problem a lot of ppl in some of my classes don't study n do the work i was even contemplating doing a study group in the library and i got hit w the "it's not that deep" currently sobbing rn

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
omfg that's the problem a lot of ppl in some of my classes don't study n do the work i was even contemplating doing a study group in the library and i got hit w the "it's not that deep" currently sobbing rn
yeah look it happens

carrotsss

HSC

think of it like a rubber band, if you have someone really bad and someone really good, that band is super stretched out and all of your [cohort] marks will be stretched out across the range. compare that to a tight high range (e.g. 80s-90s) everyone's marks will be less affected...

if ur ranked first then all that matters is that the highest mark (whether it be you or a friend) is as high as possible, so what matters is to try and get them to do as well as possible

if ur ranked in any other spot your mark is dependent on the rankings, mark differences between them and your cohorts total mark. if your cohort does reasonably well (ie rankings in the actual hsc remain are much the same as internal rankings) then there’s net no impact, since if your cohort is worse then you’ll have ranked better so it will balance out and your school assessment mark will end up close to your exam mark. HOWEVER the problem begins when there are people who try really hard in internals and then don’t do the same in the externals (ie 90% of my year bc early entry :() then this has a net negative impact and your moderated assessment mark will likely be lower than your exam mark. Conversely, if people ranked lower try really hard for the HSC and increase the total cohort mark, then this can have a really positive impact and the opposite can occur!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)