3 hours a night is not enough! (2 Viewers)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
babikakez said:
I was exactly the same.
oh really? did you find any way of overcoming it?

i don't think its particularly bad, like i'm still doing more work total than most people, just in a weird weird pattern, which seems like it could be improved.

HSC
gibbo153 said:
oh really? did you find any way of overcoming it?
Not really, I just accepted that thats what I was doing.
Although, I wasn't exactly the most study focused student. I mean, I did very well, but I was an effective crammer. I made the study and homework that I did do productive, working from the ways that I learnt best.
Especially at this time of the year, don't feel too guilty. I don't think that I started working productively for any amount of time until week 6-8.

MelRGHS

HSC
Uni Grad
u-borat said:
In all seriousness, I have not done any work all year except for the 3 weeks preceding exam periods.

But if you want to keep on top of your work, writing notes, as velocity said, is pointless.
instead, just read over what you did that day/what you're going to be doing tomorrow.
Latin, Oh I envy you:eek: You lucky ducky.

Valupatitta

HSC
i hardly make notes at all. at the beginning of the term i was doing so but then slowly i find it SOOOOOOOOOOOO useless. its better off just concentrate on the only assessments that are required for the term and just THOSE! for others just chill out and relax a bit because u've got the WHOLE of the christmas holidays to go through the subjects u havent been concentrating on. well, thats my tactics. and btw i only do around 3 hours on assignments per night. other than that is doing maths and working on my major work ^^

how do u find my tactics to HSC?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Valupatitta said:
i hardly make notes at all. at the beginning of the term i was doing so but then slowly i find it SOOOOOOOOOOOO useless. its better off just concentrate on the only assessments that are required for the term and just THOSE! for others just chill out and relax a bit because u've got the WHOLE of the christmas holidays to go through the subjects u havent been concentrating on. well, thats my tactics. and btw i only do around 3 hours on assignments per night. other than that is doing maths and working on my major work ^^

useless

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Valupatitta said:

good luck reviewing during stuvac . rofl.

kara42

HSC
Sarah182 said:
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)
I saw the title of this thread and knew it would be you. :p

mckensara

HSC
you should'nt measure your study with hours i hear

but i agree
i feel as though i should be doing more
i just dont know what i can keep up!

blah fucking HSC.

it also depends on what you want to get..

08er

HSC
it all depends on how efficiently you use those 3 hours. of course studying while taking the occasional glimpse at the tv for 3 hours is not as efficient as directing your focus on studying only.

dp624

HSC
3 Hours is not enough once you near trial/HSC period but normally it is far more than enough

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
mckensara said:
you should'nt measure your study with hours i hear
I agree with this.

OP, if you find that you're constantly looking at the clock or measuring by hours is stressing you out it might be a good idea to forget it altogether.

I tried doing 3 hours a night and I was burning myself out, so now I make a priority list (usually really quick on a piece of scrap paper) of what I have to do, should do and want to do that evening and then I work for as long as necessary (or until I get too tired and I'm not being productive anymore).

If you are going to study for 3+ hours by the clock per night that's cool, but taking breaks is essential. Every hour, get the hell away from your study area and clear your head for ten minutes, otherwise you'll end up stressed and you'll forget it again.

Prioritising is really important -- I think this early in the HSC we're all feeling under pressure to be making notes and studying for the externals but realistically, they're a year away and we're not going to retain info that long. Like others have said, assessment tasks come first because right now internals are by far the most important thing.

Also, the study and preparation you do for assessments basically is study for the externals because it's all out of the syllabus in the end. When I was studying *cough* for Society I found one of the best resources was the past assessments (and practice papers ... very useful). If you do them well the first time they're pure gold.

Good luck and don't burn yourself out for Christmas! :rudolf:

08er

HSC
i also agree, your study shouldnt be measured by hours (or any time) but rather, the amount of work done.

noob!

HSC
Sarah182 said:
I am getting overwhelmed already!
3 hours a night isnt enongh to keep notes from the syllabus and for homework aswell. Im driving myself mad by doing up to 5 hours a night at the moment just to stay on top of everything.
What I've been doing is looking at the syllabus, making notes, doing some questions from textbooks and study guides then a few days later typing up the notes.... but its just taking so long!
Has anyone else found this?
The first week was fine but now I have assessments and homework to do.

Any tips for more effective study?

Cheers :)
I used to think that after reading notes etc that typing them up would help, i soon found out after many long hours that it was infact more helpful simply reading over the notes a few more times than typing them all out. However everyone is different, i probably only did 5 hours a night in the final 3 months of year 12 :S

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Valupatitta said:

worked for me

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
ive noticed people all talk about making notes and studying/doing assessments but does anyone ever do hw other then like maths where you need to LOLL..at the start of yr 12 mai mates in mai class made a pledge to do all our chem work this year and lasted like 2 weeks when we got hit by our first line of assessments xD

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Like a few people above have mentioned, study should be measured by the amount of progress you have made, not the amount of time that you have taken up. It's about efficiency. You don't want to be wasting time studying ineffectively as well.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
quality not quantity, ie you may study lots of hours but if it isnt effective then you are wasting your time.

I didnt study nightly, i most just did homework but studied in the lead up to assesment, but i left it a little later to remake notes for a few subjects

My advice just make notes as you go for your subjects just on what you have done, and if you dont understand anything ask a teacher for help. my half arsed effort got me a uai of 92 so if you apply yourself youll be fine

m00

HSC
I didnt study every night, the only studying I did was making notes for exam topics 1 week or so before an exam and remembering what I need to know. but I did study a lot before the final hsc exams. by the time of the final hsc exams all my notes were done coz we covered the whole syllabus with internal assesments. I don't think you have to dedicate 5 hours every night on the HSC it seems like a waste of time. I didn't do any practice essays, just do the homework your English teacher gives you and you use those essays that they assign to make stuff up in the exam. also I didn't do anything in free periods usually played card games or talked to friends unless I had an exam like the next day.
and i got the uai I needed so no regrets =) :D:D:D:D

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Study should neither be measured by the amount of work done nor the time. It's until when u lose ur concentration so that u can't really continue effectively, i guess.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Writing your own study notes not only provide you with a set of complete notes for the subjects you are studying, but also, by writing the notes, the knowledge is ingrained into your memory, making the process even more useful. Although, talking about them is the easy part - you (and I) need to actually put it into practice before notes will be of any use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)