• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

4 unit english 4 unit maths? (1 Viewer)

DO U DO 4 u english and 4 u maths?

• 4 u english + 4 u maths

Votes: 48 32.4%
  • 4 u english + 3 u maths

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • 4 u english + 2 u maths

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • 4 u english + 2 u general maths

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • 4 u english + NO MATHS

Votes: 28 18.9%

• Total voters

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by Lolliana
I don't do any maths either
it was the best decision of my life
yeah, i'd have to agree with that. can't believe i even did maths in yr 11. should've not even picked it up to begin with!

aud

HSC
I do both... but then I've combined them with Textiles and Design (and Legal) :D :D So I'll be telling someone, and they'll be saying how smart I must be, then I'll say, oh, and Textiles and Design, and they're like WHA?! :D
Although I'm not as bad as my friend... she does 4U Eng, 4U Maths, Drama and 3U Music... crazy...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I did prelim 3 and 3... there were 3 of us that did that... but now 2 of us dropped 3u maths to 2u and picked up 4u english, and one dropped 3u english to adv and pickedu up 4u maths

(scarily enough the two guys dropped maths and the girl dropped english... who said stereotypes exist??!)

mayhemily

HSC
wow you clever ppl! i hate maths I HATE IT!!!!! I dropped after prelims... best thing EVER! though it was a controversy at the time - I was the first person in our school's history to drop it entirely :)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I do both 4 maths and 4 english. Its really not that hard. In fact, I'd say its easier then doing another subject. Why?

Consider 4 Maths. Once you have finished the course for 3u, you pretty much only need to concentrate on your 4u maths, cause there is a topic called harder three unit topics which pretty much prepares you for 3u, and the two unit is like assumed knowledge (its so easy :p ), so in the end you are only preparing for the 4u maths, which if you spend 40% of your time on, you should ace. Then 4 english is (if done properly, and as far as i know anyway) kinda leisurely. Bleh, look at my grammar, so tired. :(
(i was studying 4u maths)
lol, hope that didn't destroy my argument. ;)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hrm, a few people in Ruse don't do maths. lol, if you go to ruse doesn't mean your a maths genius. :)

However, I agree with Lobster. It is rather strange that you were the first in your school to ever drop maths entirely. :S

J

jhakka

I should have done 3u maths, but didn't.

I prefer maths exams to English exams, but the major work owns everything.

Veck

yeah I'm a 4u 4u kinda guy, it's easy considering we only have to focus on three subjects

whoever said it counts your four subjects is kidding themselves because it isn't true, I'm getting my UAI counted based on my best ten units, which will be 4u english 4u maths, and french, and thus, I am not trying whatsoever tomorrow for my chemistry exam.

I have researched this and I'm 100% certain. I just feel sorry for people doing 5/6 subjects... THAT's a lot of work.

have fun guys.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I thought at least four subjects HAD to count for your UAI, in your case, all four subjects would count, even though some would only count for 1 unit, not two.

J

jhakka

Veck said:
yeah I'm a 4u 4u kinda guy, it's easy considering we only have to focus on three subjects

whoever said it counts your four subjects is kidding themselves because it isn't true, I'm getting my UAI counted based on my best ten units, which will be 4u english 4u maths, and french, and thus, I am not trying whatsoever tomorrow for my chemistry exam.

I have researched this and I'm 100% certain. I just feel sorry for people doing 5/6 subjects... THAT's a lot of work.

have fun guys.
You're still doing five courses, buddy. Advanced, Extension 1 and Extension 2 English are separate courses and do not have the same exam.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
From the Board website:
To be eligible for a UAI you must satisfactorily complete at least 10 units (including at least two units of English) of UAI courses.

Courses must include at least three UAI courses of two units or greater and at least four subjects.
So Veck, you're chem is going to count, so you'd better actually try!!!

Veck

So Veck, you're chem is going to count, so you'd better actually try!!!
UAC Website said:
Rule 2 - Calculation of the UAI

Your UAI is based on the aggregate of scaled marks in 10 units of UAI courses comprising:

your best two units of English; and

your best eight units from the remaining units, subject to the provision that no more than two units of Category B courses be included.

read the fine print, to be eligible for the UAI you have to have completed those courses, but the UAI is calculated from your best ten units

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Hmm, seems to be more of the Board's/UAC's contradictions... Oh well.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I'm doing 4U and 4U and it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

The math just builds on itself and don't forget that we only do 1 exam per 2 units seeing as 4U math students don't do the 2U advanced exam. The harder stuff and the real world applications like in mechanics and volumes are where it gets interesting anyway.

English is fine cause 4U is a bludge and 2U advanced is fairly cruisy as long as you don't drift off too much and think on occaision ;).

In the end I chose ext. 2 English 'cause I want to do a fun creative project and ext.2 Maths because I want to understand the universe. Plus it's cool to feel as if you've pushed the sphere of highschool as far as it can go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)