4u Class of 2006 (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I guess this forum is now ours... ^.^
I just wanted to ask which topic you guys are doing now and what you've done in the topic. I know some schools haven't even started the classes yet, such as SBHS, which i heard aren't starting till late term 1. :D

I

icycloud

That's true, we haven't started 4U yet. However, that is in part because we accelerated 2U maths this year (did the exam yesterday :D), which means we didn't get to do any 3U work (which we are doing this term and next).

Riviet: Oh and just out of interest, what school are you from?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pLuvia

We're doing complex numbers :) If you're using Cambridge we only just finished 2.1 but we started the 4u course last wednesday :) and had a class on friday

joshisthebest

HSC
Doing complex numbers now... i'm the only one doing it at my school so i don't know how long i'll last.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hmm... it's been very quiet since the exam on monday. I guess they're not gonna come back to help us with 4u? Oh well, let's help ourselves then. :D
Btw, i'm doing complex numbers too, we're doing vector addition/subtraction on the argand diagram.

Last edited:

joshisthebest

HSC
i've just done multiplication and division in modulus-argument form, and am doing De Moivre's theorem next lesson... Complx numbers hasn't been hard yet, but i'm not looking forward to some of the other topics

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Yeah, same here, curve sketching and integration should be interesting, I've heard mechanics and harder 3u is difficult, but i'm up for the challenge.

icycloud said:
what school are you from?
I go to St Aloysius College

Last edited:

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hey guys--have fun this year hey. Word of advice: constantly practise what you're learning. I didn't do this early on, I would have gone much better had I done so.

P

pLuvia

Riviet said:
Hmm... it's been very quiet since the exam on monday. I guess they're not gonna come back to help us with 4u? Oh well, let's help ourselves then. :D
Btw, i'm doing complex numbers too, we're doing vector addition/subtraction on the argand diagram.
At tutor I've already done argand diagram, polar form i.e. z = rcis@, product and quotient of complex numbers and sum/subtraction/product/quotient on arg diagram

So I'm like near you guys, :D:D

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
We're doing complex numbers, I think most schools start on that topic. I heard some schools have started on conics or graphs rather than complex numbers...? According to my tutor, some schools do the hard topics first to get rid of some people from Extension 2 lol.
Anyway, back to topic, we're up to graphing complex numbers on Argand diagrams. We're probably going to do De Moivre's theorem next. Right now, I'm finding Extension 2 easier than Extension 1 because in Extension 2, we're only touching on the basics of complex numbers so far, while in Extension 1, we were doing all these hard-ass questions you never find in the HSC, for parametrics. Also, my Extension 1 teacher is freakin fast. She makes us write everything so quickly and rushes everthing, which is a contrast to my Year 11 teacher who gave us loads of sheets and we just sat there and watched her explain it in depth. My current Extension 1 teacher's handwriting is not as neat as you'd normally find in typical female handwriting because she writes fast. Also, she wrote our Year 11 yearly exam and the handwriting made the paper look like a draft. (Our exam Maths papers are mostly handwritten, not typed)
As for my Extension 2 teacher, she's going pretty slow probably because she's giving us time to undestand it. However, we get shitloads of exercises to do for homework as she goes through all the theory in class.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sikeveo said:
Cool, do u know mark kenneywell?
Yeah i do. :D

We're also getting lots of homework from the textbook, and speaking of textbooks, which one are you using? I'm using Terry Lee's Advanced Mathematics, and virtually half of the textbook is worked solutions to the excercises, lol.

Last edited:
I

icycloud

Riviet said:
I think they're busy studying for the 3U exam :D. I certainly hope that they'll (class of '05) come back and help us afterwards! ... or not...

ishq

brown?
HSC
Good Luck '06!

If anyone feels like resurrecting Newton and then belting him with apples until he meets yet another tragic death, may the force of gravity be with you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
icycloud said:
I think they're busy studying for the 3U exam :D. I certainly hope that they'll (class of '05) come back and help us afterwards! ... or not...
Oh... that's right. It's weird doing the 4u then the 3u... they so better help us out afterwards, these argand diagram problems are quite hard.

Raginsheep

HSC
They're not that hard....just require some practice but the ones in the HSC are generally fairly easy.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Nah, i think i'll be alright, just gotta do alot of questions, all you need is practice and lots of practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)