Aboriginal children in care now exceeds stolen generations (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The article was posted in this thread, and can also be found in a thread entitled "Aboriginals don't know rape is illegal"

HSC
N/A
you have to consider it in percentages, obviously there are more whites than abo's so ofcourse there will more be whites in jail for rape.

Aborigines are 15 times more likely than other Australians to end up in jail, and they make up a fifth of the country's prison population, according to official statistics.

Aborigines are 15 times more likely than other Australians to end up in jail, and they make up a fifth of the country's prison population, according to official statistics.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said Aborigines accounted for 19 percent of the prison population, even though they make up just 2.2 percent of the population.

Imprisonment rates for Aborigines were 1,701 per 100,000 adults, compared with 143 per 100,000 for the total adult population.
and that was only in 2001.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/aborigines-face-greatest-jail-threat-703132.html

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Josip Broz Tito said:
you have to consider it in percentages, obviously there are more whites than abo's so ofcourse there will more be whites in jail for rape.

and that was only in 2001.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/aborigines-face-greatest-jail-threat-703132.html
Lol - can you not read? or are you just stupid?

Boris actually said
" i was looking at some crime statistics the other day and they said that tehre was a higher percentage of whites in gaol for rape."

You can't say it much clearer than that.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Lol - can you not read? or are you just stupid?

Boris actually said
" i was looking at some crime statistics the other day and they said that tehre was a higher percentage of whites in gaol for rape."

You can't say it much clearer than that.
Fuck you're dumb.

Now look at it as a ratio based on how many Aboriginals there are in the population compared with how many of them are in jail. Of course there will be more white people , because white people make up like, 70% of the population. There is a higher proportion of Abos in jail when you compare the fact that they only make up 1.5% of the population, but account for 35% of imprisoned people.

From the ABS

INCARCERATION IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS
In 2002, 7% of Indigenous people aged 15 years and over reported having been incarcerated in the five years prior to the survey (11% of males and 3% of females) (ABS 2004).
Indigenous people who had been incarcerated were more likely than those who had not been incarcerated to be unemployed (32% compared with 12%).
Among Indigenous people who had been incarcerated, almost one-third (30%) reported risky/high risk levels of long-term alcohol consumption (footnote 6) in the 12 months prior to the survey, compared with 14% of those who had not been incarcerated.
In non-remote areas, more than half (56%) of Indigenous people who had been incarcerated reported using an illicit substance (footnote 7) in the 12 months prior to the survey compared with around one in five (21%) of those who had not been incarcerated.
INDIGENOUS IMPRISONMENT

The following data is taken from the administrative data collection 2006 National Prisoner's Census. Data is for prisoners aged 18 years and over in every jurisdiction except Queensland, where it is for prisoners aged 17 years and over (ABS 2006).

At 30 June 2006, there were 6,901 Indigenous prisoners in Australia, representing 24% of the total prisoner population (ABS 2006).
Nine out of ten Indigenous prisoners (91%) were male (ABS 2006).
Nationally, the Indigenous crude imprisonment rate was 2,127 per 100,000, with the highest jurisdictional rates in Western Australia (3,385 per 100,000), New South Wales (2,382 per 100,000) and Queensland (1,877 per 100,000)(ABS 2006).
After adjusting for differences in age structure between the Indigenous and non-Indigenous populations, Indigenous people were 13 times more likely than non-Indigenous people to have been incarcerated in 2006 (ABS 2006).
I'll simplify it for you.

Less of them in the population, more of them in jail. Do you comprehend?

There may be some validity to this term if Aboriginals received longer jail sentences than white offenders. But the reverse is the case. On average, Aboriginals receive 42% shorter jail terms than non-Aboriginals jailed for the same offence (read the article "Judges soft on Aboriginal criminals").
http://www.australian-news.com.au/abosentence.htm

Why are Aboriginals "over-represented" in jails

Simply because they commit more crime. According to the University of WA crime research centre, while Aboriginals make up less than 3% of the population, they commit 20% of the violent crime in Western Australia.

The research centre also found that one in five assaults, one in three robberies, more than one in three homicides and about one in ten sexual offences are inter-racial. About 93% of those involve Aboriginal offenders and non-Aboriginal victims.

That is why Aboriginals are "over-represented" in the criminal justice system. No amount of posturing and emotional blackmail can change the facts.

philosopher23

HSC
And what causes them to commit crimes? Could it possibly be the example set for them by 'white' people? Or a number of other causes, like the physical effects westernisation on thier culture? The way their culture has basically been destroyed by a dominant ethnicity definitely would NOT be depressing to them. It really wouldnt have any kind of psychological effects on them. Nooooo. Just because we took over their land over 200 years ago, doesn't mean they would still be suffering the effects of that. I'm not trying to excuse what they do, because no matter what the reason, some things are inexcusable. But there should be more compassion for them.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Hahaha, an example set by white people? Maybe they can look at the examples set by the majority of employed, law abiding white people instead, yeah?

Like we've said countless times, there are plenty of opportunities for them to go back and live traditionally. If given the choice, I highly doubt they would.

Fuck compassion, they need to suck it up and start making some choices for themselves. We've done all we can, they don't deserve more money, they can actually go out and seek employment like everybody else.

EDIT: There have been people who have witnessed far more traumatic shit than your average Abo growing up in Dubbo. Pretty sure the Vietnamese migrants who fled the war and made pretty good lives for themselves have had more hardship in their life than your average Abo.
Time to take responsibility for themselves.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What do you mean 'live traditionally'? The law leaves very little scope for this - hence the stolen generation. But it's unfair to say that the dispicable conditions of remote communities today are purely the result of some racial inferiority. There was a clash of cultures and we were always going to win. They are a comprehensively defeated people and the loss is only a handful of generations old - still very raw. This is an ancient, proud culture. The gulf between them and the West is immense. We need to make sure that our efforts to reconcile both cultures is not vainly throwing resources into the gap, sure, but rather a sensitive, genuine, benchmarked effort to bridge it through raised living standards and personal empowerment. This unsympathetic, bitter, petty attitude helps no one

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
katie tully said:
Fuck you're dumb.

Now look at it as a ratio based on how many Aboriginals there are in the population compared with how many of them are in jail. Of course there will be more white people , because white people make up like, 70% of the population. There is a higher proportion of Abos in jail when you compare the fact that they only make up 1.5% of the population, but account for 35% of imprisoned people.

From the ABS

I'll simplify it for you.

Less of them in the population, more of them in jail. Do you comprehend?

http://www.australian-news.com.au/abosentence.htm

Katie you got it wrong, you really did.
Boris was always talking about Aborigines and how they don't know rape is illegal etc etc and then he admitted that there was a higher percentage of white people gaoled for rape than Aborigines. And that is what we were talking about - bigger ratio of whites in gaol for rape and smaller ratio of Aborigines in gaol for rape. Simplified enough?
Yes I know there are more white people in gaol overall because there are more white people. And that ratio wise, more Aborigines are in gaol for crime. That's what all your evidence points to and no one (including me) is denying it. (And we've already put forward our view that this is because of their situation)
It's so embarassing for you that you totally got it wrong and misunderstood and called me dumb. Ironic in fact. Let's see if you are big enough to admit it. Everyone can see you got it wrong.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I didn't get it wrong.

Proportionally, there are more Aboriginals in jail for rape than white people. Proportionally.

I'm not embarrassed, why would I be?

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Iron said:
What do you mean 'live traditionally'? The law leaves very little scope for this - hence the stolen generation. But it's unfair to say that the dispicable conditions of remote communities today are purely the result of some racial inferiority. There was a clash of cultures and we were always going to win. They are a comprehensively defeated people and the loss is only a handful of generations old - still very raw. This is an ancient, proud culture. The gulf between them and the West is immense. We need to make sure that our efforts to reconcile both cultures is not vainly throwing resources into the gap, sure, but rather a sensitive, genuine, benchmarked effort to bridge it through raised living standards and personal empowerment. This unsympathetic, bitter, petty attitude helps no one
Hear hear!

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Anyway, that article you wanted.

Here is a version of it.

Aboriginal people lack understanding of white law
Aboriginal prison rates might in part be based on a lack of understanding of legal concepts by Aboriginal people, especially those from remote areas.

More than 90% of people in Arnhem Land, NT, could not answer basic legal questions and think white society is 'lawless' [5]. In some Aboriginal communities people are unaware that rape is considered illegal. 95% of Yolngu people could not explain the 30 most commonly used English legal terms, such as 'bail', 'commit', 'arrest' or even 'guilty'. Even 90% of community leaders, school teachers and council representatives had no understanding of these legal terms.

This might explain why in 2008 over 80% of the Northern Territory prison population was Aboriginal. Many of them might as well be innocent because they didn't understand what 'guilty' meant.

"People thought that pleading guilty actually got them through the court quickly and they didn't go to jail," says Richard Trudgen, CEO of the Aboriginal Resource and Development Services [5].

"When they realised what the term guilty meant they were able to identify some of the things that they were convicted of that they never had anything to do with."
http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/law/black-people-white-law.html

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Indigenous offenders more likely than non-Indigenous offenders to appear in court (NSW) for:
�� Sexual assault (11 times)
�� Aggravated assault (19 times)
�� Robbery (17 times)
Over 50% of Indigenous prisoners incarcerated for violent offences (exc. robbery)
Compared with 40% of non-Indigenous prisoners
(at 30 June 2007)

Australian Institute of Criminology
www.aic.gov.au

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Read the thread katie dear
Ha I told you other people would see you were wrong. :spin: Read the thread Katie. You got it wrong. "eyes bleed" just makes us think that you got it wrong or else you are scared you got it wrong and hence you don't want to look.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Rockyroad said:
Ha I told you other people would see you were wrong. :spin: Read the thread Katie. You got it wrong. "eyes bleed" just makes us think that you got it wrong or else you are scared you got it wrong and hence you don't want to look.
I didn't get it wrong.

Read the statistics I provided. I don't know where that tard got his from, but I dare say mine are quite credible (Deakin Uni)

Indigenous offenders more likely than non-Indigenous offenders to appear in court (NSW) for:
�� Sexual assault (11 times)
�� Aggravated assault (19 times)
�� Robbery (17 times)
In any event, I didn't mention rape. I was discussing the fact that proportionally, Aboriginals represent higher rates of incarceration for sexual assault than whites. I'll go back over his, but I dare say they were interpreted wrong.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Rockyroad said:
its u hu r rong

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
He doesn't have the net at home, he's a derro and he just siphons his work net.
Sounds like an ABoriginal

Obviously except for the working part

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)