• don't care

Votes: 17 6.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
catholicism has a pope figure who magically respawns everytime the current one dies, christainity (if according to the bible) does not.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The catholic church is simply a corrupt, power hungry organisation, who use religion and dogma to brainwash the masses and to suppress free thought. All to satisfy thier self interst.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
My opinion is that, yes, abortion is very unfortunate; also, one cannot really refer to those who think it's an act of murder as 'freaks', rather as those who simply have different beliefs. But this is precisely the reason why I think abortion should not be made illegal. Countries like Australia is very diverse in terms of culture and belief systems. Making it illegal would mean that we're forcing a particular belief down people's throats. Abortion is not as simple as 'murder' (otherwise, we won't have it as a sensitive issue in the first place).

I believe what I wish: the view that abortion is wrong, except under certain circumstances, such as when the pregnancy was the result of rape, or when the pregnacy endangers the woman's life. But I cannot impose this belief on others.

Unwanted pregnancy because of, say, unsafe sex, is, of course, the result of stupidity in most cases, but I do not blame the woman alone (which seems to be the view of some people here - that the women are the only ones to blame).

I think the focus needs to be more on preventing unwanted pregnancies in the first place, such as raising awareness of potential problems in the future, etc. Do condoms really solve everything - what if the man is unfortunate enough to pick a torn condom? So far, there is (almost?) nothing in the media that raise awareness of this particular issue.

Prevention is better than 'cure' after all.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
nwatts said:
I personally don't consider it to be.

Catholics don't believe in the concept of grace, which is pretty crucial to salvation. They also pray to Mary and assorted other spookies (which isn't on). They're pretty fundamental aspects of the New Testament, which Christianity follows, but Catholicism doesn't.
I don't believe it's actually a problem to pray to anyone you feel like, just so long as it's not interpreted as worship.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
The correct answer would be: rules of nature ie. strength, weight, gravity apply only to the physical world and do not apply to supernatural forces or beings.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
It's a very simple logical thinking trap, I'm suprised that Damage didn'y google some better ones.

eg if assuming God is omnipotent he must be malevolent as he does not use his power to better us etc etc

nwatts

HSC
withoutaface said:
I don't believe it's actually a problem to pray to anyone you feel like, just so long as it's not interpreted as worship.
Is that because you're not a Christian? :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Haha I don't know what the hell I believe anymore. Organised religion and I are taking a break for a while.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Kangaroo, I have a question.

Can God create a rock too big for himself to lift?

EDIT: (In fact, any Christian can try and answer this.)
The answer is of couse that God would not waste his time on such pointless endeavours.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
withoutaface said:
Haha I don't know what the hell I believe anymore. Organised religion and I are taking a break for a while.

Never return to organised religion.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Damage Inc. said:
Why not? Wait, you didn't even answer the question.
no because you are assuming there are limits to strength of the person (or god), if one exceeds his or her strength then he/she will not be able to lift the rock.

But god is supernatural hence not contained within physical limitations. Hell if god couldn't break earthly laws like gravity then that wouldn't be a 'god' as such.

nwatts

HSC
Damage, the grammatical error in your sig undermines everything you're trying to achieve.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
wtf happened to that crazy kangaroo nutter? I want to laugh at his insane rants!

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Damage Inc. said:
But "god" can do anything right...right?
It's just like asking if god can commit suicide........and the answer would be no because god is not a living entity in the organic sense.

Hence you can't kill something which does not need anything to survive, has no blood, pulse, lungs etc.(so 'weapons' such as guns, poison, rocket launcher and flame thrower would all be useless since they can only destroy physical items or matter)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I shall play devil's advocate and be the Christian (yes, irony)

Of course God can make a rock he cannot lift, since God can do anything.

But it doesn't mean, since God can do anything, that he cannot place limits on his own powers. So God can do anything, unless he limits himself (in which case he still could do anything to begin with, and the statement "God can do anything" is still true at some point in time, and probably still is, since God would most likely not limit his own powers).

Of course, this whole line of thought is pretty silly because then one might ask whether God can limit his powers and then regain them, in which case God cannot do everything. (Assume God can do this. Can God still create a rock he cannot lift? Well one might argue yes because unless he regains his powers then he cannot lift it, but technically God cannot, because if he intended to lift it after he had limited his powers, he would also intend to regain his powers in order to lift it. So yeah.)

How is this related to abortion again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)