Accelerated Extension 2 maths? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Supra said:
E4s..........both are out of 100
What are the "bounds" for each band?
Coz when you do Ext 1 only, then E4 is 45-50 and E3 is 35-44 - not sure if it's the same as when it's reported out of 100 (except x2).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
^ It is the "same", but multiplied by 2.
Based on your Ext 1 bounds:
E4=90 to 100
E3=70 to 90 (are you sure about this? Are you sure it isn't 40 to 44?)

CrashOveride

HSC
Wow, young kids doing mx2....
and this apparent math whiz phillip...sounds like he is some world-standard material.

PS. Band 6, E4, u know what i meant

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
^ It is the "same", but multiplied by 2.
Based on your Ext 1 bounds:
E4=90 to 100
E3=70 to 90 (are you sure about this? Are you sure it isn't 40 to 44?)
On the HSC report thing, it says E3=35-44.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Interesting. But isn't that a very wide range? I mean, the person with 89 would have far superior mathematical skills compared to the person with 70, right?

Band E3 would include, what, more than 50% of the cohort?

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Slide Rule said:
If you thought that's a lot, check out how many people get E4 in Latin Ext.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Interesting. But isn't that a very wide range? I mean, the person with 89 would have far superior mathematical skills compared to the person with 70, right?

So according to the table I just posted, it would seem that there is in fact a very large range...so in a way, it would be a bit misleading if a mark of 89 and a mark of 70 are both reported as being in the same band. But, well, that's BOS for you.

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
I had a D&M convo with good mate Phillip the 12 year old maths whiz while we were waiting to be picked up after an X2 lesson, and he told me that his current plan is to go to uni next year (he will be 13 while everyone else will be 18,19) to do bach of mathematical and computer sciences at Uni of Adelaide (dont ask me why) WHILE still finishing high school. The degree lasts 3 years, meaning he will have a degree in maths under his belt by the time he finishes his high-schooling at the age of 15. crazy, no?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Hmm...interesting.
If anything, I would complete my high schooling in Year 8 and then go to uni. It's difficult, if not impossible to go to uni and complete high school at the same time (I would imagine).

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
thats what i also thought. he thinks he is really bad at english and other humanities (which i dont believe, since he has been accelerated two years).
but regardless, its a hard choice he is facing, because if he doesnt go to uni, he will just let 3 years go to waste while he finishes high school, but going just to uni and not finishing highschool isnt very enticing either, i would imagine. a bit of a predicament, really. cant say im jealous of him in that respect :p

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sphyx said:
thats what i also thought. he thinks he is really bad at english and other humanities (which i dont believe, since he has been accelerated two years).
but regardless, its a hard choice he is facing, because if he doesnt go to uni, he will just let 3 years go to waste while he finishes high school, but going just to uni and not finishing highschool isnt very enticing either, i would imagine. a bit of a predicament, really. cant say im jealous of him in that respect :p
Yea.
Accelerating creates its own dilemmas...it's not always the good option it looks to be.
E.g. deciding whether or not to repeat a subject, or in that guy's case whether or not to go to uni in Yr 8!

nerd2die7

HSC
Sphyx said:
there's two kids (quite literally) at my school

one is 9 years old and she is in year 11

her younger sister is 7 and is in year 7

:)

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
nerd2die7 said:
there's two kids (quite literally) at my school

one is 9 years old and she is in year 11

her younger sister is 7 and is in year 7

:)
This thread is getting stranger by the post...

rabdog

ert
HSC
N/A
It is uncommon, but you all probably know that the younger you are, more of what you learn actually sinks in, also i think if someone is aware of a particular theory or concept at a young age, they wont have to try and comprehend it later on...
I guess their parents did a good job of getting them prepared...]

Just because he's young, doesn't mean you have to treat him unfairly...
If he is academically better than you at that age then good for him, you're just jealous!

Why would you complain if he asked question that the teacher couldn't answer, don't you want to learn? Some people push themselves so they can make something of themselves, by calling him a freak and all this bla bla you are the one acting juvenile...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
rabdog said:
It is uncommon, but you all probably know that the younger you are, more of what you learn actually sinks in, also i think if someone is aware of a particular theory or concept at a young age, they wont have to try and comprehend it later on...
I guess their parents did a good job of getting them prepared...]

Just because he's young, doesn't mean you have to treat him unfairly...
If he is academically better than you at that age then good for him, you're just jealous!

Why would you complain if he asked question that the teacher couldn't answer, don't you want to learn? Some people push themselves so they can make something of themselves, by calling him a freak and all this bla bla you are the one acting juvenile...
I don't think anyone has called them freaks. But most of the people who have posted on this thread (such as me) are just in awe at the capabilities of so many young students across the state. You have to admit that a 9y.o. completing Year 11 is no doubt quite amazing...not "freakish".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)