Accounting Cadetships (1 Viewer)

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
What do people think of doing an accounting cadetship, compared to a coop scholarship program such as Bacc at UTS?

Or should i not do any form of cadetship/coop program, and just do a commerce degree?

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
you in for money?
you in for indepth experience in a single field or many experience in many fields?

if you answered money, go for cadetship, if not, coop
if you answered indepth experience in single field, go for cadetship, if not, coop

if you wanna get thru a plain commerce degree, be sure to get really good marks. thats the only compensation for not having experience.

now, for me. I woke up one morning after one year of full time studying commerce (d average).. and decided.. f*ck it, i'm gonna get some accounting work experience!

and thats that!

ishq

brown?
HSC
both are excellent. and better than the normal commerce degree - out of the 2000+ graduates each year - its gonna be the cadetship/coop that differentiates you.

turtleface

HSC
both are excellent. and better than the normal commerce degree - out of the 2000+ graduates each year - its gonna be the cadetship/coop that differentiates you.
-you have to be really bad to not be offered a job when you come out of cadetship of co-op, so I don't think the grad recruitment consideration is an issue. You look much better as a fresh BCom grad with good grads, rather than a Cadet with experience who was not offered a job with his/her former firm

um whether co-op/cadetship is better is debatable, I've found experience is overrated. The problem with Cadet and Co-op experience is that its mainly low level clerical work. True, when you start off as a grad, you automatically are a Accountant level 2, but thats the same as a 3 yr bcom'er with 1 yr experience as an accountant 1, which you achieve in the same amount of time

I believe its better to focus on doing the best you can for a BCom, which allows you to assess your options as you go through it and apply for Vac work, which generally leads to a grad position as long as you don't go stuff around at the firm.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
-you have to be really bad to not be offered a job when you come out of cadetship of co-op, so I don't think the grad recruitment consideration is an issue. You look much better as a fresh BCom grad with good grads, rather than a Cadet with experience who was not offered a job with his/her former firm
Have to be pretty shate not to get offered a grad spot IMO. Alot of cadets leave before they even commence CA to pursue careers in IB and consulting I've seen.

turtleface said:
um whether co-op/cadetship is better is debatable, I've found experience is overrated. The problem with Cadet and Co-op experience is that its mainly low level clerical work. True, when you start off as a grad, you automatically are a Accountant level 2, but thats the same as a 3 yr bcom'er with 1 yr experience as an accountant 1, which you achieve in the same amount of time
Are you speaking that from experience? It depends on your firm I'd say- different firms place different priorities on the work they expect from cadets and coops.

The UTS coop program is great- it has some good sponsors and excellent work experience, but I think the benefits of a cadetship program whereby you get really into working at a firm with proper training and build proper relationships with staff/clients are what will be the things which help you later on- and cadets also earn more (at graduate level) than equivilent graduates. However, the UTS coop program I believe will facilitate a much more normal university social life and if you prefer to enjoy uni rather than only going at night to study, then that's probably the way to go.

I'm speaking this from what I know both from my friends who are cadets, my friends who are coops, and my sister who was a cadet starting out back in 1999 (and now lives in London on secondment). I personally haven't started my cadetship (no points for guessing which firm it is...) but I've done quite a bit of research regarding this in the past; so feel free to contact me if you have any Q's regarding this.

Raginsheep

HSC
Which firm is it? Are you starting in the second half of the year?

HSC
N/A
My friend is doing a cadetship with PWC and attends Macquarie uni part time. She likes it, but she gets abit worn out at times. She works full time at PWC, so 8:30am-5pm everyday and on top of that she goes to uni three nights a week...straigh from work to be at uni at 6pm for another 3 hours..
I dunno, I couldn't handle that much accounting i dont think. Plus she goes out a lot too. It's definately been a change of lifestyle for her, so thats something you might want to take into account.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You gotta be willing to give up your social life... and then take it back slowly :) I was talking to my mate today about it (he's from another Big4 firm) and he has a pretty good social life. But don't go expecting to be a full socialite once you start a cadetship because it just ain't gonna happen.

And I'm starting 2nd half of the year; also at PwC.

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
Thanks for all the helpful advice!
A cadetship sounds really hectic, so I think I'll just apply at
UTS and hope I get in to Bacc...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh I think it's pretty hectic- you have to have your heart in it if you wanna go well; and I know a lot of people won't last the entire length of the program without dropping out (for a variety of reasons).

All the best with your coop application. But as a tip, maybe you might wanna check out the flyhigher/cadetship evenings and ask some of them how they find it with their work/social commitments, etc... it might change your opinions :) Just whatever you do, don't double dip (that is, apply for multiple firms/coops/scholarships and sign for more than one).

ishq

brown?
HSC
pennypacker said:
Thanks for all the helpful advice!
A cadetship sounds really hectic, so I think I'll just apply at
UTS and hope I get in to Bacc...
good choice (haha...)

and like seremify said - come to the cadetship evening..bacc represents will be there also..to lure you! (including ME)

and just so you dont have to double dip, first round of bacc scholarship applications is on the same time as cadetships!

BAcc's amazing...for more info, check up the UTS Bus/Law section :D

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ishq said:
good choice (haha...)

and like seremify said - come to the cadetship evening..bacc represents will be there also..to lure you! (including ME)

and just so you dont have to double dip, first round of bacc scholarship applications is on the same time as cadetships!

BAcc's amazing...for more info, check up the UTS Bus/Law section :D
AHAHA you guys go to the ICAA evening too? Free food...~

Btw I thought BAcc apps weren't due until like.. much later in the year? At least that's what I thought it was like for my year- and then the interviews occur right at the end of the year as well? *shrugs*

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Who cares? Just apply for everything.

Its not like you know what you're getting yourself into.

You can choose not to enter doors that are open, but you can't walk through a closed door.

roadcone

HSC
turtleface said:

I believe its better to focus on doing the best you can for a BCom, which allows you to assess your options as you go through it and apply for Vac work, which generally leads to a grad position as long as you don't go stuff around at the firm.
i disagree, my partner has told me that a cadet after 6 months is more valuable than a graduate. the reason - picking someone up with no experience in the field means that they will have a more open approach to the situation.

the problem with grads is that they come in with a degree, but have no (or very limited) practical application of what is going on and as such start right from the bottom as well, albeit on a higher salary.

being a cadet is great. yeah you can pick up some shit jobs at time because you are the gofer, but the majority of the time you are doing the same stuff as everyone else just on a slightly easier level. it helps your uni incredibly because you are doing the stuff everyday, helping you to see the bigger picture and most importantly stay motivated (i've found that some of my friends who don't work have had trouble at uni because they can't see where it is heading)

another plus is that when you come back from full time uni you can start CA straight away (don't have to wait 8months like the other grads) and will have at least 2 years work experience up on them.

i would reccommend at least applying (you can always say no). if its the area that you want to get into you can't go wrong.

feel free to ask any questions (stupid as you think they may be) on cadetships and the interviews because i know that there are a fair few of us floating around.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
roadcone said:
i disagree, my partner has told me that a cadet after 6 months is more valuable than a graduate. the reason - picking someone up with no experience in the field means that they will have a more open approach to the situation.

the problem with grads is that they come in with a degree, but have no (or very limited) practical application of what is going on and as such start right from the bottom as well, albeit on a higher salary.
I heard that as well... grads think they know everything whereas trainees are more willing to learn.

roadcone said:
another plus is that when you come back from full time uni you can start CA straight away (don't have to wait 8months like the other grads) and will have at least 2 years work experience up on them.
I think they changed it to 36wks (9months) work experience now, and since grads will be one year ahead of cadets (since we take 4 years to finish), we'll probably all be starting the CA program at the same time. However, the extra work experience, and the training which you've already done with the firm are still invaluable both in helping you complete the CA program and also should you pursue other career paths.

On a related note though, I heard that the UTS coop program work experience contributes to CA (can anyone confirm?- this is what I heard from when they advertised at my school last year) whereas the UNSW coop program work experience does NOT. I also remember hearing that for it to count as work experience eligible for CA, it has to not only be done at an accredited CA firm, but it has to be a continuous block. Again, can I ask for confirmation from anyone on coops?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
seremify007 said:
On a related note though, I heard that the UTS coop program work experience contributes to CA (can anyone confirm?- this is what I heard from when they advertised at my school last year) whereas the UNSW coop program work experience does NOT. I also remember hearing that for it to count as work experience eligible for CA, it has to not only be done at an accredited CA firm, but it has to be a continuous block. Again, can I ask for confirmation from anyone on coops?
Yeah, just to confirm, thats wrong. UNSW Co-ops in acctg can get their work experience signed off for CA purposes. I know plenty that have done so.

Last edited:

M@C D@DDY

HSC
going off-topic a bit... has anyone applied for a winter vacation position at the big 4 and how was your interview?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
M@C D@DDY said:
going off-topic a bit... has anyone applied for a winter vacation position at the big 4 and how was your interview?
Might want to create a new thread for that since people interested in vaccy prob won't read a cadetship thread- well, I'd think they're less inclined to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)