• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Acfi2080... (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
Maybe if we all chip in, we might be able to get one share :)
Well unless you and Cyph have $49,999 between you I don't think that will happen any time soon:p.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Hey baker182, you wouldn't happen to still have your STAT1050: Statistics For Business lecture slides would you:)?

Edit: One thing is for sure, I am cutting my losses and getting the hell out of my "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" Major. My only wish is that I had of done it earlier:mad:.

Last edited:

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Hey baker182, you wouldn't happen to still have your STAT1050: Statistics For Business lecture slides would you:)?

Edit: One thing is for sure, I am cutting my losses and getting the hell out of my "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" Major. My only wish is that I had of done it earlier:mad:.
Yes, I still have the slides. But they incomplete( remember when you had to fill them in). How come you want them?

Also why are you getting out of the "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" major?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
Yes, I still have the slides. But they incomplete( remember when you had to fill them in). How come you want them?
Several times throughout the course the lecturer mentioned other Statistics subjects that he recommended doing if you wanted to build up your quantitative skills in the Finance area. Refer below for reason:).

baker182 said:
Also why are you getting out of the "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" major?
For many reasons as I have said before but just a few things:

1. The STAT1050 lecturer as well as others have said that quantitative skills are in demand and are needed.
  2. When applying for jobs, I have constantly read that a strong mathematical background is required.
  3. The "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" major is quite a misleading title. It is quite theoretical and irrelevant and I can't imagine that I will ever use it in the Finance area.

:mad:

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Several times throughout the course the lecturer mentioned other Statistics subjects that he recommended doing if you wanted to build up your quantitative skills in the Finance area. Refer below for reason:).

For many reasons as I have said before but just a few things:

1. The STAT1050 lecturer as well as others have said that quantitative skills are in demand and are needed.
  2. When applying for jobs, I have constantly read that a strong mathematical background is required.
  3. The "Money, Banking, Trade and Finance" major is quite a misleading title. It is quite theoretical and irrelevant and I can't imagine that I will ever use it in the Finance area.

:mad:
Quantitative and accounting skills are in hot demand :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks. Are they the same though? I think I remember there only being three so I assume they are:).

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Thanks. Are they the same though? I think I remember there only being three so I assume they are:).

Yeah, only 3 stats courses. Try the maths department for some more, there is a lot of maths courses relating to finance.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Why are you doing an extra year:eek:? I just want to get out of there as fast as I can. I don't even know if I will make it through three years!:chainsaw:

Edit: Are you even allowed to do an extra year if you don't have to:confused:?

Edit 2: By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where I can find a list or something similar of the top/biggest Investment Banks in Australia, or in the world that operate in Australia, would you:)?

Last edited:

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Why are you doing an extra year:eek:? I just want to get out of there as fast as I can. I don't even know if I will make it through three years!:chainsaw:

Edit 2: By the way, you wouldn't happen to know where I can find a list or something similar of the top/biggest Investment Banks in Australia, or in the world that operate in Australia, would you:)?
Yes, your allowed to take an extra year. I am doing heaps of accounting, on top of my finance subjects, if i wanted to do it in 3 years, it would mean 5 subjects a semester.

Do a yahoo search on investment banks. If your after vacation employment, all the applications have closed.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
Yes, your allowed to take an extra year. I am doing heaps of accounting, on top of my finance subjects, if i wanted to do it in 3 years, it would mean 5 subjects a semester.
I thought if you wanted to do more than the standard 240 units you have to pay full-fee:confused:?

baker182 said:
Do a yahoo search on investment banks. If your after vacation employment, all the applications have closed.
Hmm, thanks, Yahoo turned up a lot more results than Google. Some banks still have their Vacation/Intern applications open. I applied for the Macquarie Bank Vacation Program but wasn't successful so after doing quite a bit of reading I am going to apply at more companies. Anything to get an edge in such a competitive industry is worth the effort. By the way, have you/did you apply for any Vacation Work. Actually what do you want to do when you leave University:)?

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
I thought if you wanted to do more than the standard 240 units you have to pay full-fee:confused:?

Hmm, thanks, Yahoo turned up a lot more results than Google. Some banks still have their Vacation/Intern applications open. I applied for the Macquarie Bank Vacation Program but wasn't successful so after doing quite a bit of reading I am going to apply at more companies. Anything to get an edge in such a competitive industry is worth the effort. By the way, have you/did you apply for any Vacation Work. Actually what do you want to do when you leave University:)?
Really, I can only do 240 units?

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:

I have been applying for vacation employment. There is a shit load of opportunities upon up this month, just check out the careers book and site. I wanna get into stockbroking or investment banking.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
SoCal said:

Macquarie
CBA
St. George
ANZ
NAB (probably should be up the top with all their rogue trading :p)
HSBC
BOQ
ING

All banks deal with investments :D

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
Really, I can only do 240 units?
Well that is what I have heard. I am not completely sure it is correct but you may want to take a closer look at it:).

Edit: Are you going to do any quantitative courses outside of the Finance faculty:)?

baker182 said:
I have been applying for vacation employment. There is a shit load of opportunities upon up this month, just check out the careers book and site. I wanna get into stockbroking or investment banking.
How many places did you apply at and did you only apply to large companies? I am thinking of applying for smaller companies because it is all experience. What careers book are you taking about:p?

Cyph said:
Macquarie
CBA
St. George
ANZ
NAB (probably should be up the top with all their rogue trading )
HSBC
BOQ
ING

All banks deal with investments :D
Yes, but out of those only Macquarie Bank has a vacation work program;).

Edit 2: Cyph, what do you want to do when you (finally:p) finish University:)?

Last edited:

baker182

HSC
SoCal said:
Well that is what I have heard. I am not completely sure it is correct but you may want to take a closer look at it:).

Edit: Are you going to do any quantitative courses outside of the Finance faculty:)?

How many places did you apply at and did you only apply to large companies? I am thinking of applying for smaller companies because it is all experience. What careers book are you taking about:p?

Yes, but out of those only Macquarie Bank has a vacation work program;).

Edit 2: Cyph, what do you want to do when you (finally:p) finish University:)?
I email a lot of stockbrokers in Sydney, but none of them do vacation employment. I think you find that only larger companies do vacation employment. The book I am referring to is "Graduate Opportunities" which was handed out at the careers fair this year.

If you like i can scan a list of companies from the book, also dont limit yourself to investment banks, try other companies. As most companies have an accounting/finance department. Also have a look at the careers site on the newcastle site.

I'am just no quantitative courses. Just finance and accounting.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
baker182 said:
I email a lot of stockbrokers in Sydney, but none of them do vacation employment. I think you find that only larger companies do vacation employment. The book I am referring to is "Graduate Opportunities" which was handed out at the careers fair this year.
Hmm, I didn't know about a Careers Fair but if I had of I probably wouldn't have gone:p. I really need to start sorting myself out I think:eek:.

baker182 said:
If you like i can scan a list of companies from the book, also dont limit yourself to investment banks, try other companies. As most companies have an accounting/finance department. Also have a look at the careers site on the newcastle site.
That would be awesome if you could do that dude:). Is this the Careers Site you are talking about? If so, it seems there are a few Accountancy firms with positions available but not many Banking/Finance firms. Also, most of them are for Graduates:(.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)