Achieving distinctions at uni (1 Viewer)

gum tree

HSC
So I've finished my first year at usyd. I'm doing a science course btw. The thing is I thought I put in a lot of effort last semester. I was always preparing before lectures, then after class I'd revise etc but my results were only passes and low credits. As you can imagine I was really disappointed considering how hard I felt I'd worked. I think the final exams may be the reason my results are so low. I'd really appreciate any advice on how I can improve my study techniques for during semester as well as final exams so I can be achieving distinctions. Thank you. :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I have found that consistency is key to success. I studied consistently throughout the semester so I don't have to cramp just before the exams. This is especially true because science students have labs in additional to lectures and tutorials so there is a lot of materials to understand and take in. I woud also suggest you to pay attention in lectures because they often emphasise what is important (materials that are likely to be in the exam) and what you don't need to know.

I also take my assessments very seriously because they contribute to up to 50% of the overall course mark.

gum tree

HSC
Thanks Survivor. I do everything you mentioned but I just dont get where I'm going wrong. Usually my assessment marks add up to a high C/ low D but the exam marks pull down marks I think. I guess there is something wrong with my studying technique but getting results like this even with the effort makes me feel so stupid.

gum tree

HSC
Haven't started my major yet but I plan on doing microbiology.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Which units did you not do well in?

gum tree

HSC
I would just say all of them because I've only been getting marks between 60 and 70 for all my units.

kcqn93

HSC
I found that studying with a small group of peers helped me get a few D's and HD's last year. I scratch their back and they scratch mine.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Well it sounds like you are doing the right thing throughout semester. When you 'revise' is it just lecture slides or do you read the textbook too? In first year bio I was making around 10 pages/week of notes from each textbook chapter we had to read. If you know the main terms and processes from each week and can readily write about any of them then you can usually identify what a particular exam question is actually asking about and answer it...

Do you get past exams provided on Blackboard? Bio exams don't usually change much so you can practice them as much as possible.

It's hard to say what else it could be. How is your writing? I mean maybe you know answers but don't write them down the way biologists want you to, maybe get a friend in a later year or who gets better marks to check the way you write things. Do you maybe confuse biology words that sound similar when you're writing in exam conditions? Do you get stressed in exams?

halapenyo

HSC
are uni marks dependent on your ranking within the cohort like the hsc?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on which grading system is used at a university. For example in USYD, we have a maximum number of people allowed to get a HD, D and C.

enoilgam

HSC
In university its more marks based than anything - ranks do play some role but it is usually minor. Like for instance at my uni, there is a limit on the amount of overall D's and HD's they give out. In a nutshell, uni grading is the opposite of HSC grading (i.e. in the HSC ranks are most important with raw marks playing a minor roll, the opposite is true for uni).

izzy88

HSC
How hard is it to get D's - HD's in Law?
As an indication - at USYD in law no more than 10% can get HDs and no more than 40% Ds and HDs. Some subjects dot get up to those maximums either. It can be quite hard to get those marks - especially when you consider the overall intelligence/hard working nature of the cohort. Advice: keep on top of the readings and do practice problem questions.

izzy88

HSC
For the original poster - since exams seem to be the problem, perhaps you need more practice with past exams and exam technique. You can also in some subject areas borrow books from the library along the lines of example problems and answers, and you can generally get past exams off the library website. Perhaps more practices with those (times as well) may help for exam prep.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
To OP: What subjects did you do and what subjects did you do better or worse in?

gum tree

HSC
thank you everyone for all the advise. I will certainly try working with others- thats something I didn't do last sem. And going through past exam papers will probably help. I dont know what it is about exams that make me do so badly- I usually go in feeling that I know my stuff but during the exam I realise despite the amount of studying I've done the questions just end up confusing me (even the stuff that I thought I understood).
To study-freak: 3 of my subjects were maths for all of which I got b/w 60-65. The others were biology and chemistry which I got 70 and 68 respectively.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I get the same feeling in the exams to be honest.

Something about them throws me off compared to the mid-semesters and all the other assignments.

For example, I held a HD average for one of my units but I must have come unstuck with the final exam thus pushing me down to a distinction. Shit happens I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)