Actuarial Studies vs Engineering (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
So are you enjoying petroleum now?

Man I hate having these conflicting thoughts. I really do like science and physics, but at the same time I also enjoy economics and maths.

zhiying

HSC
I don't think that degree exists anywhere in NSW.
Before the changeover to actuarial studies (before it was a major in commerce), you could combine with engineering. I can't guarantee you this option will exist soon, but as a new degree they're opening up a few double degree options. E.g. this year they released combined with commerce.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Before the changeover to actuarial studies (before it was a major in commerce), you could combine with engineering. I can't guarantee you this option will exist soon, but as a new degree they're opening up a few double degree options. E.g. this year they released combined with commerce.
At unsw you can't, actuarial studies is its own degree now

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
if actl/eng comes up, i'm taking it. comm/actl is too mainstream :L

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
Such a hipster haha, is comm/actl very popular? I was under the impression actl/eco was more popular at UNSW

HSC
Uni Grad
So are you enjoying petroleum now?

Man I hate having these conflicting thoughts. I really do like science and physics, but at the same time I also enjoy economics and maths.
Wow forgot to reply to this.

Petroleum itself is good to learn, however memorising the content and regurgitating it in the exam is really bad in comparison. That said it's actually easier to do well in petroleum engineering due to no scaling + access to hidden past exams and lecturers doing dodgy aligning/changing of weighting of marks and thus everyone's marks being higher than expected.

Personally when I started to learn petroleum engineering, I've actually got a better grasp about chemistry, geology and other engineering disciplines compared to when I was doing commerce.

Inb4 actuarial studies/petroleum engineering. Then you'll be makin' dem $$$$$$.

Honestly though I'd choose civil engineering for job security. Petroleum engineering jobs for undergrads isn't looking great atm due to slump in oil prices. I'm gonna put off graduation by a year so that I can wait for oil prices to rise (inb5 they don't and 5eva unemployed).

Last edited:

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow forgot to reply to this.

Petroleum itself is good to learn, however memorising the content and regurgitating it in the exam is really bad in comparison. That said it's actually easier to do well in petroleum engineering due to no scaling + access to hidden past exams and lecturers doing dodgy aligning/changing of weighting of marks and thus everyone's marks being higher than expected.

Personally when I started to learn petroleum engineering, I've actually got a better grasp about chemistry, geology and other engineering disciplines compared to when I was doing commerce.

Inb4 actuarial studies/petroleum engineering. Then you'll be makin' dem $$$$$$.

Honestly though I'd choose civil engineering for job security. Petroleum engineering jobs for undergrads isn't looking great atm due to slump in oil prices. I'm gonna put off graduation by a year so that I can wait for oil prices to rise (inb5 they don't and 5eva unemployed).
Solid response, but so was the response time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)