actuary UNSW (1 Viewer)

manscux

HSC
hey guys i am a year 12 student..

i was wondering if anybody has any insights into the new acturial program that uNSW is starting in 2013.

also.. i would like to do actuarial studies/finance. can this be done in UNSW???

what do you think is the best second major with actuarial studies.

Note i would like to do something in investment banking or actuarial studies

thank you in advance

:)

BiancaC

HSC
Its an entire new program, Bachelor of Actuarial Studies instead of a BCom but it still lets you also pick a major from Finance, Accounting or Economics so yes you can do your actuarial studies/finance.

The program doesn't look TOO much different in terms of what you are taught however the Actuarial focus comes a lot earlier in your degree (like from the first semester) rather than in year 2 when you start your study of it as a major. It seems to just take high performers with a high atar and no bonus points as well as needing 4 unit maths (which isn't much different to before)

The second best major with actuarial studies depends on what you really want to do and there is not one best major. I mean Finance or Economics (with most subjects involving econometrics) is good but doing the double-degree with Science (and a Maths major) is also quite good too.

HSC
Uni Grad
The majors that are arguably good combinations with actuarial are arguably Finance, Economics and Mathematics (Statistics), possibly Accounting too.

Those majors will be the only ones that will be offered as part of the B Actuarial Studies program.

As for you, perhaps the above combinations don't really matter because they can get you into IB or actuarial anyway.

As for me it looks like I'll be taking the unconventional combo of Actuarial, Chinese and HRM ~ risk taking to see where I'll end up working....

manscux

HSC
hi

also with the double degree... is it possible for me to do the following in the new acturial course:

Actuarial studies (with major in Finance... can i do another one)/ bachelors in economics (majoring in econometrics) i.e a double degree

or can you only do a double degree with advanced mathematics

manscux

HSC
what would you RECOMEND. a double degree in economics or science. Problem with science is that it takes 5 years rather than 4.

ZeeZee3

HSC
Its an entire new program, Bachelor of Actuarial Studies instead of a BCom but it still lets you also pick a major from Finance, Accounting or Economics so yes you can do your actuarial studies/finance.

The program doesn't look TOO much different in terms of what you are taught however the Actuarial focus comes a lot earlier in your degree (like from the first semester) rather than in year 2 when you start your study of it as a major. It seems to just take high performers with a high atar and no bonus points as well as needing 4 unit maths (which isn't much different to before)

The second best major with actuarial studies depends on what you really want to do and there is not one best major. I mean Finance or Economics (with most subjects involving econometrics) is good but doing the double-degree with Science (and a Maths major) is also quite good too.
They dont accept HSC bonus however, i think they accept elite athletes and performers program bonus points.

halapenyo

HSC
As for me it looks like I'll be taking the unconventional combo of Actuarial, Chinese and HRM ~ risk taking to see where I'll end up working....
manager of the actuarial branch of a consulting firm based in Beijing. ;)

HSC
Uni Grad
manager of the actuarial branch of a consulting firm based in Beijing. ;)
I might even end up in Human Resources Consulting, using actuarial skills to solve problems, which is most likely atm. Probably won't end up in those insurance related jobs.

As for the above post, they will accept Elite Athletes and Performers as a method of entry however.

And as for that degree, your only option is the B Actuarial Studies degree. No combinations with another degree except majors in Accounting, Mathematics, Finance and Economics (which seriously sucks imo).

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Sigh this new degree with an even higher ATAR Requirement D: I need to work harder :L

manscux

HSC
hi guys... just another question. But for actuarial coop. can you do a finance major?????/

halapenyo

HSC
Hi their mate

okay so i can major in acturay and finance in coop.... but can i do a double degree with the coop?

:)

just making sure if coop is rights for me
hold your horses. you have to get into co-op first anyway. they dont just give it to everyone.

manscux

HSC
hold your horses. you have to get into co-op first anyway. they dont just give it to everyone.

i understand that. But before i apply i want to know whether i should be dedicating my time to fill up the lengthy application. If i cant do a double degree with coop than i may consider doing actuary/eco or actuary/adv.maths at another university

;)

halapenyo

HSC
don't want to sounds like a noob here, but what is actuarial studies?
"Actuarial studies is a broadly based commerce discipline that involves the study of mathematics, statistics, accounting, economics and finance for application in life insurance, general insurance, health insurance, superannuation, funds management, banking and management consulting."

runnable

HSC
"Actuarial studies is a broadly based commerce discipline that involves the study of mathematics, statistics, accounting, economics and finance for application in life insurance, general insurance, health insurance, superannuation, funds management, banking and management consulting."
That is the most comprehensive "sell" statement for actuarial, appealing to students with pretty much all business related interests.

BiancaC

HSC
i understand that. But before i apply i want to know whether i should be dedicating my time to fill up the lengthy application. If i cant do a double degree with coop than i may consider doing actuary/eco or actuary/adv.maths at another university

;)
No you can not do a double degree with co-op. That breaks the entire co-op program cycle.

Why would you go to another university for a double degree in actuary/eco when you can do an economics co-major within the B Actuarial Studies degree at UNSW next year? A major is almost the same thing as a degree, both majors get included on your degree anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)