Advice for ATAR >95 (1 Viewer)

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys!

Just a question, if I'm aiming for an ATAR above 95, say around 97, 98, and hopefully 99 etc, what are some things I should be doing in the last few weeks rounding up the HSC?

How many HSC papers should I aim to complete each day?

And what are your thoughts on rewriting essays rather than just going over them? The subjects I'm doing are Advanced English, Legal Studies, Business Studies, IPT and SOR II.

HSC
N/A
Hey,

Regarding past papers, I'd say it's not only about completing as many papers as possible. It's also about effectively identifying your mistakes (if any) and making sure that you improve your answers.

Also when you say rewriting, are you talking about practising the essays?

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

Regarding past papers, I'd say it's not only about completing as many papers as possible. It's also about effectively identifying your mistakes (if any) and making sure that you improve your answers.

Also when you say rewriting, are you talking about practising the essays?

So working on my weaknesses, and trying to improve them, noted. Thank you.

Yep precisely. So in terms of rewriting, I mean practising base essays I've already written, and trying to memorise them.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I only really went over my essays instead of practicing writing them in a timed format for the HSC and I got a band 5. So I think if you want to break that band 6 barrier you need to really practice actually writing them to a variety of scenarios.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally I only really went over my essays instead of practicing writing them in a timed format for the HSC and I got a band 5. So I think if you want to break that band 6 barrier you need to really practice actually writing them to a variety of scenarios.
Will do, thank you!

HSC
N/A
For English, definitely try to do that if you can, maybe try that for SOR II as well if you can (not too sure about SOR though because I haven't done it).

For your other subjects like Legal, Business and IPT I believe it's much more important to know the content than to try and memorise and practise writing essays. Questions in these subjects require a much more adapted answer than those in English imo.

Also, are there essays in IPT now? did the syllabus change?

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
For English, definitely try to do that if you can, maybe try that for SOR II as well if you can (not too sure about SOR though because I haven't done it).

For your other subjects like Legal, Business and IPT I believe it's much more important to know the content than to try and memorise and practise writing essays. Questions in these subjects require a much more adapted answer than those in English imo.

Sounds good! Thank you!

Oh no, sorry haha, there's no essays in IPT. I was just stating my subjects generally.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad

Do you suggest prioritising understanding everything rather than doing as many past papers? Because my initial thought was the more papers, the more exposure I'll have to the types of questions tested, and there's only so much they can test over a decade.

HSC
N/A
Do you suggest prioritising understanding everything rather than doing as many past papers? Because my initial thought was the more papers, the more exposure I'll have to the types of questions tested, and there's only so much they can test over a decade.
The more papers you complete, the more exposure you'll have to the types of quesitons tested, absolutely.

But you need to keep in mind that there's no point in trying to complete as many papers as possible if you're not understanding everything, which is crucial if you want to get your desired ATAR.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
The more papers you complete, the more exposure you'll have to the types of quesitons tested, absolutely.

But you need to keep in mind that there's no point in trying to complete as many papers as possible if you're not understanding everything, which is crucial if you want to get your desired ATAR.
Thank you so much!

ahri

HSC
Something helpful I found was looking at exemplar essays or model answers and comparing my own ones to them to see where I lost my marks. Practice everything under timed conditions, review notes thoroughly, practice ADAPTING essays, etc.

queenb_3

HSC
Uni Grad
Something helpful I found was looking at exemplar essays or model answers and comparing my own ones to them to see where I lost my marks. Practice everything under timed conditions, review notes thoroughly, practice ADAPTING essays, etc.
That's really helpful, thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)