All-Asian Mall (1 Viewer)

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I find it hilarious that they basically only interviewed old people and Pauline Hanson and that they chose Castle Hill as opposed to Eastwood, Burwood, Chatswood, Hurstville etc. which clearly have more Azns.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
lol even if this was remotely true (which it isn't, castle mall is perfectly normal) castle towers has everything and more and is legit barely a minute's walk away

HSC
N/A
I think people were accusing ACA for being racist, not necessarily the locals...
Then again, ACA is just based on pure sensationalism. Ridiculous show.

I think the entire segment should be removed, not just for this story, but just in general for lowering IQ.

fairedufoot

HSC
I don't believe that is the issue with their response. What annoyed and enraged me the most was the fact that the programme blatantly sensationalised the issue (as always), thereby sparking racist fervor. Racism in varying degrees is always going to be an issue, especially amongst the older generations who have had to experience the changing racial composition of their country. It's understandable why they would be nostalgic of their country as it used to be during their childhood but I still feel that it is the fault of the current affairs industry as they continue to ignite such racist views by having such a negative angle on change.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Because we should all be scared of Asian enclaves!

Chong_Boy

HSC
Go onto the A Current Affairs facebook page and let them know how disgusted you feel (regardless of your race) - I know I did. If you don't speak up, they will think Asians are weak and they will continue to peddle such crap about Asians and other minorities to the uneducated public. They could have reported on Coles or Woolies forcing small businesses out of the area, but no, that would have been too big a conflict of interest, so they directly target struggling Asian small business owners for the sake of boosting their ratings. First, it was Asians taking over selective schools, Asians stealing jobs, now its Asians taking over the mall. What's next? Is there anything Asians do that the media actually appreciate? Yes, I am Asian and I have had a gutful.

asianperson

HSC
I live in Castle Hill and I'd say they desperately need any business they can get there, its been going downhill ever since they moved the bus stop. Also I noticed when ACA interviewed 'caucasian' people it was just old ladies who I don't think have the most balanced point of view...besides China is going to buy all of Australia anyway regardless of what people want :tongue2:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I think it is absolutely disgusting. If Westfields Bondi Junction decided you had to be Caucasian to have a store there and kicked out all the Asian shops and proprietors there would be uproar and it would be screamed as being racist (which it would be). This is exactly the same situation.

Chatswood and Hurstville are already bad enough and not something we want to increase. Multiculturalism is all good and fine, but where you have entire suburbs of predominately one ethnic group (e.g. Hurstville) then it is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

I disagree with Pauline Hanson on a lot of issues but on this issue I absolutely agree with her. She could have expressed her opinion a bit more eloquently, but by and large I think she is correct and while her views are not the most politically correct, I think many non Asian Australians share similar views.

I live in Castle Hill and I'd say they desperately need any business they can get there, its been going downhill ever since they moved the bus stop. Also I noticed when ACA interviewed 'caucasian' people it was just old ladies who I don't think have the most balanced point of view...besides China is going to buy all of Australia anyway regardless of what people want :tongue2:
Chinese investment in Australia should be restricted much more than it currently is so that we don't end up in the situation you describe.

Because we should all be scared of Asian enclaves!
You make it sound a joke but this is a reality. Hurstville, Chatswood, Eastwood etc.

They could have reported on Coles or Woolies forcing small businesses out of the area
They regularly do report on this.

First, it was Asians taking over selective schools, Asians stealing jobs, now its Asians taking over the mall. What's next? Is there anything Asians do that the media actually appreciate? Yes, I am Asian and I have had a gutful.
Perhaps it is the fact that Australia is finally waking up to the issues of Asian immigration and are sick of it. I am all for multiculturalism but there has to be assimilation. Creating ethnic ghettos where Australians of non Asian background do not feel comfortable shopping/living/working in is not acceptable at all.

Last edited:

CrackerMo

HSC
N/A
You make it sound a joke but this is a reality. Hurstville, Chatswood, Eastwood etc.

They regularly do report on this. Your username "chong_boy" also makes you sound biased in the matter.

Perhaps it is the fact that Australia is finally waking up to the issues of Asian immigration and are sick of it. I am all for multiculturalism but there has to be assimilation. Creating ethnic ghettos where Australians of non Asian background do not feel comfortable shopping/living/working in is not acceptable at all.
Bias or not, you clearly have no idea of this situation, being yet another example of ACA's outrageous and indignified tactics of bullshit journalism to get ratings.

This basically sums it up...

Ben Gray Seymour

‎A Current Affair,

Hi, it’s me again. I’m the guy who called you out on your facebook page about not posting a link to your stellar “All-Asian Mall” story. Seeing as I can’t put this on your page, I have to sully my own wall with it. But I trust that by tagging you at the top, this might find you. In case you have trouble remembering, I called you a bunch spineless cowards for not facing up to the shitstorm you would invite by posting that report on your page. So I’ll link it here for you -

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8560691

The reason you might have trouble remembering is you blocked and deleted me off your page. I’m not sure what it was exactly that prompted you to do so, though perhaps it was causing a torrent of other people to speak up and call you out. Or maybe it was the fact I linked to a news article that exposed you as making the whole story up. Which I’ll link here too -

http://www.news.com.au/national/ret...a-current-affair/story-fndo4bst-1226513201988

More likely I think is that you jumped for the ‘misconduct’ button when I called one of your caps-lock-obsessed hysteria victims a racist idiot.

Whatever the exact reason, you’ve played your hand.

So what exactly offended me about your report?

Generally speaking, the gripping news stories that you usually aspire to report on do not register among my daily concerns. However, the report in question ticked so many boxes on the spectrum of human stupidity and viciousness that I felt compelled to write something addressing it.

Although it is difficult to pick out the specific instances in your clusterfuck attempt at journalism, I feel the thing that fueled my sense of rage the greatest was that if you substituted in the word ‘Black’ or ‘Jew’ for ‘Asian’ you would be taken off the air in a heartbeat – never to work again.

I grew up in multi-racial Melbourne. I consider myself lucky to have counted Asians of Korean and Chinese background among my closest friends both then and now. So you’re not attacking and vilifying some community that exists in a vacuum. These people are friends, husbands, wives, leaders and colleagues in our community.

In your report you also threw around the term “un-Australian” like a giant jingoistic turd, hoping it would stick to anything and be shown to have substance.
Well I’ll tell you what’s un-Australian; inventing deliberately xenophobic rumors about a quiet, hardworking and law abiding community of Australian citizens. They embody what it means to be Australian better than you could ever hope to.

Now that last part might sound like a clichéd or naive thing to say, but I speak from personal experience. Earlier this year I had the unfortunate pleasure off sharing the same air with you at the 2012 Logies. And what a sickening bunch you really are. Rich, sycophantic, self-congratulatory parasites who would stab each other in the back just as soon as throw a community of Australians under the bus. The idea of you sitting around an executive table planning exactly how to cause the most nationalistic concern is made worse only by the fact that I know how much you actually despise the ignorant masses you pander too.

But without a doubt, my sense of indignation hit peak when it turned out the whole affair was made up! As the articles linked above explicitly point out, you wove the story out of thin air.

This raises the serious – and highly disturbing question – of just what the fuck you were trying to achieve. Was it some kind of clever study of racist attitudes among old people? Perhaps it was some sort of fantastic national exercise in trolling? Or was it just a sinister and cynical abuse of your power for easy ratings at the expense of one particular group of Australians?

Now I didn’t plan to write this much, and I’m a bit disappointed in myself for wasting this much time and energy on you. But when you really consider what you did…

- Picking one unsuspecting section of Australian public and INVENTING an unwarranted story about them in order to provoke xenophobic ire from the larger community -

…it’s pretty fucking serious.

And to Tracy in particular, how do you fit the square of your moral righteousness over cyber bullying here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ2cp934g_g

..into the circular hole of effectively bullying an entire demographic?

As it stands, dishonest, malicious and hypocritical words fall from your mouth like shit from ass. And you have been exposed for it.

No doubt being the paragon of ‘Aussie’ virtue that you take yourselves to be, all Australians can expect an unequivocal apology to the Asian-Australian community and to the slandered Hills District in general. Anything less I’m sure you will agree would be “un-Australian”.

In fairness though, you do have the right to defend yourself. So in the timeless words of that unspeakable national travesty;

“Please Explain?”

23 hours ago near Sydney, New South Wales ·

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it is absolutely disgusting. If Westfields Bondi Junction decided you had to be Caucasian to have a store there and kicked out all the Asian shops and proprietors there would be uproar and it would be screamed as being racist (which it would be). This is exactly the same situation.

Chatswood and Hurstville are already bad enough and not something we want to increase. Multiculturalism is all good and fine, but where you have entire suburbs of predominately one ethnic group (e.g. Hurstville) then it is a problem that needs to be dealt with.

I disagree with Pauline Hanson on a lot of issues but on this issue I absolutely agree with her. She could have expressed her opinion a bit more eloquently, but by and large I think she is correct and while her views are not the most politically correct, I think many non Asian Australians share similar views.

Chinese investment in Australia should be restricted much more than it currently is so that we don't end up in the situation you describe.

They regularly do report on this.

I like how you totally ignore the fact that the story is patently untrue, but never let the facts get in the way of another racist rant by solo

Cheesecake_a

HSC
ACA is the definition of ignorance. First off, the same stories are repeated, whether it be the feuding neighbours, the ''magic pill'' that can help you lose weight without doing exercise, the migrants/ asians/ Muslims etc taking over Australia! - and so and so on. The same with Today Tonight. Their advertisements are enough of a sign that there is racism. ''THE MIGRANTS STEALING YOUR JOBS, AND WATCH HOW THIS AFFECTS OUR AUSSIES''. All I do is lol when I view these advertisements, literally. I rather get my news from Al Jazeera most of the time, or the Guardian. Commercial news stations are a joke.

And there is always this pattern of migrants, Asians, Muslims who are targeted for endless amounts of sensationalism, and the sad thing is, there are many who take the ridiculous ACA as an example of quality television or source.

HSC
i didn't care to read the article, but who cares, as long as they sell manga cheap

HSC
Uni Grad
Even then, ACA is still a load of shit. Their response itself tried to justify their viewpoints in a way such that they keep viewers and try to make their distortion seem more subtle. This just shows that no matter what ACA does, their reporting is just a load of shit.

I personally believe that there does not need to be assimilation, but more so integration.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Even then, ACA is still a load of shit. Their response itself tried to justify their viewpoints in a way such that they keep viewers and try to make their distortion seem more subtle. This just shows that no matter what ACA does, their reporting is just a load of shit.

I personally believe that there does not need to be assimilation, but more so integration.
This is the problem (the mentality).

Even Integration has failed miserably in some places.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
There doesn't need to be anything, unless the migrants are not hurting anyone who cares about this assimilation/integration bs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)