All local students, Attention!! (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@Stazi

Edited in: Additionally, I find it puzzling that you are putting forward the argument that, by appearing a nerd makes you less sociable. Though I was, like all non-sociable stereotypical asians, shy and closed to myself, I am able to interact despite the facade of nerdiness. And I believe that it is due to stereotypical misunderstanding that "All nerds are non-approachable" or "All asians don't speak English" or "All asians will pull your marks down" caused this hype. So please don't generalise!
Whilst I agree that I do look like a nerd (despite the fact that I was 12, when I first arrived at Australia, and I didn't speak a single English word, and that I just lost everything I know to me, and despite the fact that I do NOT look like a nerd when I was 12), there ARE people who are introvert, and it is an inherit property of them.

Granted, they are less sociable (in the beginning at least) and less likely to be approachable, this does NOT make them any way lesser of a human than you do.

Two more things I would like to add to this:
- NOT all international students are shy, speechless, stick-to-their-own-culture snobs. I've seen alot of international students blend in with other people, despite their horrifying accent.
- I don't think it's possible to change the introvert'ness in a person. But given time and the right guidance, they can learn to become more sociable.

On your point on presentation, I found it surprising that, despite the accent, he was a very all round actor and coorperator. The body language, the colourful tones, etc etc.

The presentation I have prepared is not a conventional, stand and talk kind of presentation. It also requires understanding of context, and convey the idea to the audiences. And I believe he has done just that.

That being said, it may also be because I myself came from a non-English speaking background, which is why I can empathise them a lot more and a lot easier.

Edited for grammatical errors.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
I've only ever had one problem with an international student in an Arabic class. Her English was poor enough, so I have no idea what she was thinking trying to learn Arabic....

On that note, WAF why do you the Shahada in your signature??
I am now an Islam.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xiao1985 said:
@Stazi

Edited in: Additionally, I find it puzzling that you are putting forward the argument that, by appearing a nerd makes you less sociable. Though I was, like all non-sociable stereotypical asians, shy and closed to myself, I am able to interact despite the facade of nerdiness. And I believe that it is due to stereotypical misunderstanding that "All nerds are non-approachable" or "All asians don't speak English" or "All asians will pull your marks down" caused this hype. So please don't generalise!
Yes, by appearing to look like a nerd, people will typecast you as someone who is antisocial. I can't help but generalise. I would be willing to bet that you generalise that most guys who look like jocks are into sports, drinking and women. I bet that in Redfern if you see an Aboriginal you assume that they have a lower socioeconomic status than your family. You also assume that they're not as good at school. Of course, there are many exceptions to those generalisations, but the reason we have generalisations is because they apply to the majority (i.e. more than 50%) of people within those groups.

Granted, they are less sociable (in the beginning at least) and less likely to be approachable, this does NOT make them any way lesser of a human than you do.
HAHAHAHAHHAHA..... lol. Who is saying that they are any less of a human being than I am? All I am saying is that they (you) are different. Just like I'm different because I'm a bit of a geek in terms of my interests. Just like brogan is different because he is fat. Just like Chris is different because he has depression. There was no allusion to nerds being worse than anyone else. You took that all too personally.

Two more things I would like to add to this:
- NOT all international students are shy, speechless, stick-to-their-own-culture snobs. I've seen alot of international students blend in with other people, despite their horrifying accent.
- I don't think it's possible to change the introvert'ness in a person. But given time and the right guidance, they can learn to become more sociable.
-Again, no one is saying that ALL people in a particular group conform to that group in every way. Are you familiar with the concept of majorities? Schemas? Stereotypes?

-are you suggesting everyone should hold their hand and guide them into becoming more sociable?

On your point on presentation, I found it surprising that, despite the accent, he was a very all round actor and coorperator. The body language, the colourful tones, etc etc.
Yeah, and you got a fantastic mark in that presentation and subject, didn't you? You cannot possibly say that you were actually at an advantage being with him in the same group.

That being said, it may also be because I myself came from a non-English speaking background, which is why I can empathise them a lot more and a lot easier.
...as did I and many others on this board.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Stas, i'd hate to be in groupwork with you, i get the feeling you'd be a group-nazi (regardless of what races were in the group)

i still want to pour syrup all over you and lick it off though, of course

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i'm actually not a group nazi: i just do most of the work at the end - i actually take on more of the work from people who i can tell aren't that interested in high marks (as it'd be unfair for me to push them to achieve to my standard)

and i'd like that too :shy: very much. yum.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
xiao said:
As for studying with tax payer money some one mentioned. That's the most laughable thing I heard for quite some time now. Australia gov't consider int'l positions as EXPORT products. And if you had EVER, I mean EVER being an int'l student for just ONE semester, you'd think that int'l students funds Australian uni's.
You're suggesting that the university infrastructure isn't funded by the Australian taxpayer? You're suggesting the staff aren't? The administration isn't ra ra ra. Certainly not all of it, but a large part of the funding comes from the government. If they want to use the facilities that Australians are paying for then maybe these students should do their best to fit in with Australians rather than isolating themselves and causing tutorials to crash. :D

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@Stazi, I guess we came to a common conclusion that regardless of ethnic background, appearance etc etc etc, there are a lot more to the population than the stereotypical type of the population. I only wanted to point out this fact, instead of every one on board bitching about how *all* terrible int'l students are.

@Nebu: you are selling an export product, you pay for the labour, the raw material, factory space... Deal with it...
As to your original post, I believe most int'l students would try to fit in... From the posts expressed in this thread, are all of *you* giving them a chance at doing that?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahahahhahahhahah you hypocrite. you said that 'not ALL international students are quiet', proclaiming that it's wrong to generalise. then you go and say that 'EVERYONE on BoS is bitching about how terrible all int'l students are':
1) Not EVERYONE is bitching about it
2) I haven't seen anyone say that ALL international students are exactly the same. nooone is stupid enough to think that.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Epic Fail.

I've had no troubles with international students. Simply because I've never had the privelage to encounter them (at least with any knowledge of who they are).

However, I've heard bad things of some of them - Group assignments, end up doing no work, uncontactable, have gone back home for a week etc.

That, of course, has to be taken with a grain of salt. As the bad things they do are much more notable than the good things they do. No one has ever come up to me and said - Wow, that international student did really good stuff for our assignment. Not because they don't do that, but because doing good things in an assignment is much less notable than doing nothing at all.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
xiao said:
@Nebu: you are selling an export product, you pay for the labour, the raw material, factory space... Deal with it...
No.

As to your original post, I believe most int'l students would try to fit in... From the posts expressed in this thread, are all of *you* giving them a chance at doing that?
Yes.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
@Stazi: tell me one person who's not saying int'l students are unapproachable, unsociable?
Also, you are the one proclaiming that generalisation is unavoidable.

Yes I did generalise. For that, I apologise.

@Nebu:
1) I would like you to know that most int'l students also work, which means they pay a wooping 49.7% (or somehting similiar) tax. To say that they do not contribute to the funding of Australian university is quite unfounded.
- remaining edited out -

2) good to hear. I'm sure with a few trials and errors, you will find that some of them are quite approachable and easy to work with.

I'm not trying to incite a flame war, I am just wanting to make the general public aware that despite alot of criticism against int'l students, that does mean the entire population of int'l are like that. In fact, that probably does not even mean the majority of the int'l students are like that.

Most of you, either deliberately or unintentionally made the impression.

edit:

@ Key: Maths and no AZN? God I thought I never see the day.
How've you been?

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
xiao1985 said:
@Stazi: tell me one person who's not saying int'l students are unapproachable, unsociable?
Also, you are the one proclaiming that generalisation is unavoidable.

Yes I did generalise. For that, I apologise.
Ok, I'll tell you a number of people: goony, martyno1, 44ronin, velox, deepdarkrose, caramelpumpkin

I am proclaiming generalisations are unavoidable. You, however, are preaching that they must be avoided, yet you generalised yourself. That's like the Pope saying that it's important not to steal, who then breaks into the Louvre and steals the Mona Lisa.

I'm not trying to incite a flame war, I am just wanting to make the general public aware that despite alot of criticism against int'l students, that does mean the entire population of int'l are like that. In fact, that probably does not even mean the majority of the int'l students are like that.
What's with you constantly implying that we believe ALL international students are like that. We are making generalisations. Generalisations are an effective way to communicate. For example, if I said that 'I love Singapore because it's hotter than Sydney' would you say "It's not always hotter than Sydney! There's a few days a year where it's hotter in Sydney!!! quack"

@ Key: Maths and no AZN? God I thought I never see the day.
Stop being racist. You're generalising that ALL Asians love maths. I'm sure not ALL Asians love maths.

P.s. how do you make a woman orgasm?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
xiao said:
1) I would like you to know that most int'l students also work, which means they pay a wooping 49.7% (or somehting similiar) tax. To say that they do not contribute to the funding of Australian university is quite unfounded.
I didn't say that though. :(

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah, but they don't contribute much as a percentage. exactly why poor people shouldn't go to uni. they pay low taxes, and are usually on centrelink. actually, they can go to uws, just not my uni.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I've got no problems with intl students going to USyd so long as they do their best to fit in! Poor people have no trouble fitting in. :D

TRY AGAIN STAZI!!!!!

hj1985

HSC
Generalisation can be based on personal experience, but also can be based on the opinions coming from other ppl. If a student just does his/her work in the group assignment, it is wot s/he is expected to do. If a student fails to do so, this will draw more attention. And if the student is from overseas, it will even become more notable. If you have heard many int'l students fail to do their work, ppl will gradually establish an impression that most int'l students are useless in group assignment. That's where the stereotyping comes from!

Be honest, I always try my best in the group work!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)