Amount of hours of study/day? (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
For my HSC, i must admitt i did minimal study. I think i got away with it in the end (still got >90) but its definately not something i recommend! I could have got 98+ easily if i had put in a few hours each day.

I recommend at LEAST 1.5 - 2 hours of study on top of any homework you get. If you have no homework, adjust that minimum figure higher. try to aim for 2-3 hours a day.

However its not needed 7 days a week. Allocate a day or two off, where you can just rest. I usually set aside Friday nights as a work-free night (unless i had assignments or assesments due etc).

The key is to have balance in your study, spread it evenly, so the content you have to learn slips nicely into your long-term memory.

However, do find that balance between work and play. I believe there is a point where you can study so much that any more will just be a waste of time. The brain is like a sponge, once its soaked, you cant add anymore to it. Of course this is true for some of the subjects, others like Economics for example require constant attention and work.

P

pLuvia

hopeles5ly said:
also knowing that my friends have done a large block of study !
hahaha, it's ok mate it's only the holidays. You can probably do more during school days :):p

Thanks for the advice Rafy :D

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
study when u feel like studying, and if u dunt ever feel like studying maybe u should reconsider why ur at school.... when u feel like going out, jus go out.... dunt let the hsc take over your life, after all its just a number (but an important one for those who were thinking to criticise my comment).... we're like 17 now in our hsc year, so really you should b motivated enough to give an hour a day or something, even not an hour, its still early days guys.... look to doin like 30 minutes a day right now since we're on the holidays....

this is realli a hard topic to go by, so as much as ppl say or comment onhow much they study, hopefuli they get everything in!!! i could study like 5 hrs a day, doesnt mean i'll get 99 or whatever... plus evryone will be catching up to you for those ppl who arent consistent at studying, but do it prior to the hsc when u have that 4 weeks break or something.... so much like a game this whole idea of the hsc... anywaiiz enough of bragging...

cheers

hangerm5

HSC
Rafy said:
For my HSC, i must admitt i did minimal study. I think i got away with it in the end (still got >90) but its definately not something i recommend! I could have got 98+ easily if i had put in a few hours each day.
This sounds like me. I got 90.9 and could have easily got more if I had studied but I had a few other distractions to so all in all i am delighted and shouldnt miss out on anything that I want to do.

That said, I did work really hard during the holidays and StuVac going over everything I had. I put a lot of effort into my Assesment tasks throughout the year. I re-read them and edited them periodically so i guess i sort of paid attention. Someone has allready said that its how you use your time rather than how much time you spend. A question of quality not quantity to use a cliche.

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
Monstar said:
How many hours do you recommend to study each day? and how many hours/ subject ?
it is best to measure your study productivity by your understanding of the syllabus points not by the hours you put in, althought it does indicate your determination.

studying 6 hours a day may make you use to the study periods but if those 6 hours are used and no or little understanding of the work comes out of it then it has been wasted.

whereas if you spent 2 hours attempting to understand a certain syllabus dot point and your continuously working at it until you get it, your morale will be much higher than the tedious 6 hours...you will reap the benefits

jamin791

HSC
From my experience last year, i found that you should do about 3-4 hours at night and that should gradually increase as the year progesses till about the trials. you cant study too much and try not to study late at night as well, maybe read or revise but nothing more, i find it handy that IF you have the time you should read a little bit of whats coming up the next day in your classes even if you dont understand it then, just say for economics or business so when it comes to teaching and learning you have a vague idea and you will be able to pick up the concept earlier on.

On weekends you should have at least one day where you try to do as little as possible cause you need a break, its a bad thing to cram at the last minute but theres nothing worse then overloading it and having a breakdown before an assessment task or something similar.

When it comes to your stuvac its recommended that you do about 8 hours a day and no shitting its every day. What you should do is do maybe 4 hours in the morning from like 8-12, then go out for a few hours with friends or the beach or whatever, come home at like 4 or 5 and hit the books for another 4 hours. not a bad idea to make a study timetable for this period and try to stick to it. If you can go to the library of you just procasternate at home, dont go with friends cause they can be a bigger distraction but when you see everyone else working you will work too. Oh and by the way if you doubt the crediblilty of this i got 94+ and im a dumbarse

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I have left it so late to start....from tomorrow I have exactly 2 weeks until school starts. This week im typing up all my notes. On the weekend I will do my english essay and interview. Next week I will study my notes.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
I have left it so late to start....from tomorrow I have exactly 2 weeks until school starts. This week im typing up all my notes. On the weekend I will do my english essay and interview. Next week I will study my notes.
lol damn. i've been studying on and off for the past few weeks ... soo im more or less ready to go? lol XD

although; i gotta start studying maths more ... need to improve it >_<
but it just isn't going into my head o_o''

Monstar

HSC
Yah i've been reading my book for english and doing questiosn for economics.. I still got a case study on china to complete, i haven't even started.

But i commenced by studying last week, and so far i have done some maths, eco , english and business studies.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Monstar said:
Yah i've been reading my book for english and doing questiosn for economics.. I still got a case study on china to complete, i haven't even started.

But i commenced by studying last week, and so far i have done some maths, eco , english and business studies.
ah thatsgood. better then most of my friends .. they haven't even touched their books these holidays ...

i've finished summarising the syllabus dot points for "Space" module; now im doing accelerated learning on motors and generators.

umm; been reading ahead in business studies; reading and highlighting as a igo. also i've been doing my assignment and hw assigned .. lol

English: been writing up notes on texts... almost finished it all. now im gonna write some practice essays. oh yeh crap. i gotta finish reading emma O_O

maths: really hard for me to be motivated ... i umm . do some practice questions .. really need to get a move on in this subject

IPT : been summarising topics in the IPT text book... and yerh. haven't done too much of this though ...

i feel like a nerd now .. - -;;

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
shinji said:
lol damn. i've been studying on and off for the past few weeks ... soo im more or less ready to go? lol XD

although; i gotta start studying maths more ... need to improve it >_<
but it just isn't going into my head o_o''
ive just started studying maths this week. i have:

business studies: wrote practically all my notes from the syllabus dot points for global business except like 3 or 4 which i will get around too

studies of religion: wrote most of my notes for teachers and interrepters. still missing quite a few important points though.

history extension: been reading on and off, highlighting and writing notes for my major work.

maths: finally starting to catch up. =]

english: started to accelerate for aos journey. planning to write summarys for texts i plan to do.

modern history: barely done anything lol. have to complete the hw set still -__- lol.

i think i slacken off heaps after new years lol.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
A similar thread was made this time last year
for me, I didn't study much at all during these holidays last year.
I went away.
Only work i did was assessments
Enjoy these holidays-thats my advice for you
Next holidays you will be studying for your half yearlies :)

minushuman

tafe pride
HSC
Monstar said:
How many hours do you recommend to study each day? and how many hours/ subject ?
Are you fucking crazy? There's 274 more days before you need to begin preparing for the HSC. Don't waste your afternoons with your head stuck in a book because the HSC doesn't mean shit, it's not worth the effort, trust me.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
minushuman said:
Don't waste your afternoons with your head stuck in a book because the HSC doesn't mean shit, it's not worth the effort, trust me.
The right attitude in the hsc is to do your best and try your hardest in all your assignments, assessments and exams. Only then can you truly reap the rewards of your hard work, and even if you don't achieve a high UAI, then at least you know you
put in the effort.

volition

arr.
HSC
I don't think that there is really a set amount of hours to do per day.

During the holidays I did some reading and summarising and practiced some maths questions, but during the year I found that I didn't do very much 'extra' work outside of set classwork.

During the final leadup to the HSC exams I think I probably slacked off a little, only doing about 3-4 hours per day, I would've liked to have been able to do more.

In the end, I got 94.6 and I got my first preference (commerce at unsw), so I'm happy with how I went. My advice is to MINIMISE distractions from study. Other than that, its just 'practice practice practice'.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well we are into the finial weeks if not week of the holidays. So I think it is time for another thread latter during the week, "What did you achieve during the hoildays?" or "Hours of study VS work completed?" I am sure they would be interesting discussion topics.

As for amount of study I think I have already commented on this but it is the quality not hours of study that counts. Good luck all '06ers and may these last days of hoilday studying be helpfull.

Monstar

HSC
i've slowed down.. and done almost no study this week ><

ffs this is gay

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Monstar said:
i've slowed down.. and done almost no study this week ><

ffs this is gay
well if you did work for the other weeks than yeah your fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)