• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

And so I turned on my new PC... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
A 120 gig SSD should suffice for OS + all your most used apps + games easily. Chuck everything else on a mechanical hard drive like a cheap caviar blue or something. Look up how to clone an image of the OS so you can transfer it to your replacement SSD when it arrives.
yeah OS would be about 20 or so GBs, then you can fit a few games on there, maybe 13 of your most played games (depending how big they are) say they are 8 - 10 GBs each. and note, you don't get the full 128 GB, you'll get like 126 GB due to reserved space. Also is it worth cloning? why not just wait and install it fresh on the new drive when it comes.

Also got another itch now..I install Win 7, by passed the Licence key part, and now have 30 days to use it. I tried inputting the key and it said "this version is a upgrade only version and cannot be used for a clean install" -.- I put my XP professional [FULL version for clean install] disc in, cold booted it, boot from disc and it loads the set-up of XP and everything correctly, except it gets to this screen where it asks me to make sure I have the XP disc in the CD drive. It's already in there, I press Enter and it just keeps saying to put the disc in. Like it's not recognising it. All copies of windows are legit and genuine. I'll upload a pic.

http://i.imgur.com/fEef4.jpg

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I fail to see how a busted ssd causes bios graphics issues
maybe it was trying to read the SSD drive to clarify that it is in working order, but it wasn't so it locked up? and the lines were only appearing at the top, the rest of the screen remained calm and correct. If it was a GPU issue the whole screen would all be screwed.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you listened to me and bought the corsair, this wouldn't have happened :p

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
If you listened to me and bought the corsair, this wouldn't have happened :p
Didn't you say crucial? I remember a lot of people saying crucial.... pffft on their box it's got "The memory experts" I mean I can understand that this one may just be faulty, and hopefully I can get another one, otherwise shud I just go with a corsair if my shop has none in stock? -.-

Also I've got myself stuck in another problem...I installed win 7 before xp, now I can't install XP ...Ohhh the noobery :( guess I'll know for next time. I'm trying to make a bootable format tool on a USB stick. (I crashed the win 7 partition in hope of XP installing, but the disc doesn't get detected when it is required for an installation. (It detects it for a boot, loada ll the files, but doesn't install -.-)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I gave you 3 options, which included crucial, except I said best go for corsair

w/e

HSC
Uni Grad
download gparted to a usb stick or cd/dvd

wipe the hdd

pirate windows 7 so u don't have to go through the winxp --> win7 thing

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
download gparted to a usb stick or cd/dvd

wipe the hdd

pirate windows 7 so u don't have to go through the winxp --> win7 thing
nah going with Ultimate Boot CD Download looks good, plus I heard good reviews of it. I'd rather stay legit 100%, don't mind going xp to 7. The only reason I put 7 first was to test to see if the licence key worked, obviously not.

hey when I get my SSD, could I just install XP on that?

HSC
N/A
hey mrbrightside, if you like, I can totally give you compuda advice!

Don't listen to these people, they obviously have no idea what they're on about.
What you wanna do is get a huge magnet and swipe it over the motherboard to pick up the loose pieces, and when you find the loose pieces, all you have to do it put it in its place and voila! Your computer is fixed ;)

I don't think there is anything physically wrong with it. It's just that there are loose parts everywhere.
Because there are so many little bits and pieces on the mobo, it's hard to see what's lose. Gotta love magnets.

Trust me. I came first in year ten IST.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't listen to these people, they obviously have no idea what they're on about.
What you wanna do is get a huge magnet and swipe it over the motherboard to pick up the loose pieces, and when you find the loose pieces, all you have to do it put it in its place and voila! Your computer is fixed ;)

I don't think there is anything physically wrong with it. It's just that there are loose parts everywhere.
Because there are so many little bits and pieces on the mobo, it's hard to see what's lose. Gotta love magnets.

/stupidity

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

but anyways,
get the strongest magnet you can find, brightside!
If you don't, you might not pick up some of the loose bits.
Also, magnets will reverse any static damage you may have caused.
I honestly hope you're trolling here, if you're not, then wow.

HSC
N/A
I honestly hope you're trolling here, if you're not, then wow.
Of course i'm not trolling. What the hell, man?
I'm obviously being very serious here.

Look, if you know nothing about computers, please GTFO this thread.
I read this off 4chan, and they obviously wouldn't lie about this sort of stuff because they're not trolls, okay?

Also, when your computer starts getting hot, use a spray bottle and spray into the fan so it'll cool the whole tower down quicker.
Overheating your tower over a prolonged period of time is very bad.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC

Strong Advice/10

stylishhh

HSC
I don't think you should put a magnet near a computer because I accidentally did that and the screen made weird colors and we had to get a new screen xD

HSC
N/A
I don't think you should put a magnet near a computer because I accidentally did that and the screen made weird colors and we had to get a new screen xD
Oh dear.

Nah, it has to be a strong magnet. A weak magnet has a COMPLETELY different affect on a computer.

It's like... in chemistry. You use concentrated sulfuric acid for dehydration, and then you use dilute sulfuric acid for hydration!

If you don't use a strong magnet, you'll do more harm than good.

Trust me, my dad owns an IT shop in the city, and he's actually done it to pick up any loose pieces that he's forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)