Another priest molestation scandal... (1 Viewer)

Lentern

HSC
So what I am curious about is whether Priests ever molest adults, or attempt to seduce them. This could shed some light on whether the desire stems from a repressed sexuality or something else. If adults aren't molested or abused then I really think that the religious institutions are disgusting. Imagine being more afraid of having an open relationship with someone you love than being discovered for abusing children.
This has definitely happened on a large scale but obviously is not a criminal matter and therefore the churches will generally deal with the issue internally.

MrFox

HSC
N/A
So what I am curious about is whether Priests ever molest adults, or attempt to seduce them. This could shed some light on whether the desire stems from a repressed sexuality or something else. If adults aren't molested or abused then I really think that the religious institutions are disgusting. Imagine being more afraid of having an open relationship with someone you love than being discovered for abusing children.
eureka! i better go tell all the priests i know to start molesting adults as well, to help clear their and their religion's name!

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You are one of many intolerant bigots in this forum. You don't like somebody's opinion? Refute it profusely with facts, instead of just...whinging.
Iirc correctly 4% of catholic priests are accused of sexual abuse. Are there any stats on other professions that actually show this as out of the ordinary? I.e. Do we know that (insert random career) have less such cases?

lolcakes52

HSC
eureka! i better go tell all the priests i know to start molesting adults as well, to help clear their and their religion's name!
Go use your sarcasm on some pre-teens who will appreciate it, this is a discussion.

MrFox

HSC
N/A
Go use your sarcasm on some pre-teens who will appreciate it, this is a discussion.
don't be dumb, i was pointing out the one major flaw:
the fact that they don't molest adults as well as children doesn't make the act any more or less disgusting, you daft bimbo

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You are one of many intolerant bigots in this forum. You don't like somebody's opinion? Refute it profusely with facts, instead of just...whinging.
Refute profusely with facts? Why should I bother when you're making up incredulous assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

You're assuming, for starters, that priests are fucking male kids because they want sex. First of all, that would make them homosexuals. Second of all, that's not how rape works. Third of all, there are plenty of other outlets in which they can get perfectly consensual sex if that's all they're after, without ruining their lives and the names of the church they're a part of.

You're confusing correlation and causation which is an extremely basic error, hence why I had no interest in arguing with you.

HSC
Uni Grad
Is pointing out that there appears to be a trend implying causation though?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
The way he's expressed it, yes. Otherwise it's a redundant statement that offers no insight into the topic he's covering

which would make a lot of sense I guess

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Refute profusely with facts? Why should I bother when you're making up incredulous assumptions based on absolutely nothing.

You're assuming, for starters, that priests are fucking male kids because they want sex. First of all, that would make them homosexuals. Second of all, that's not how rape works. Third of all, there are plenty of other outlets in which they can get perfectly consensual sex if that's all they're after, without ruining their lives and the names of the church they're a part of.

You're confusing correlation and causation which is an extremely basic error, hence why I had no interest in arguing with you.
1. Yes, yes it would make them homosexuals
2. I am very much aware how rape works, but you are making an assumption yourself that the priests wanted to exert power over these little boys and nothing else
3. This is true, yes, in fact I have heard about priests having live-in homosexual partners (as you do)

I can see your point now that you have written a proper response.

But I still maintain that a) the secret nature of the catholic church protects offending priests and therefore encourages non-offending priests to do the same
b) public celibacy is not the only motivator behind this behaviour, but it does offer the offending priests some benefit of the doubt on behalf of the public and church community
and I will add, based on your statement,
c) the priests that do this have the same psychological traits attributed to child molesters outside the church, and don't just want to have a good fuck.

I don't know why you have to be such a dick about this, by the way. Is it not better to get your argument across without abusing the other side with offensive slurs and swearing? Is it not a childish, pointless tactic? (I'm not just referring to you, btw > 50% of this thread).

Annihilist

HSC
+1

Yeah guess what? People hate atheists. Not because they are right (which, in and of itself, is a fucking thesis), but because they are such fucking bigots. Look at that dick "theamazingathiest" on YouTube. Takes a small event that happened in a small town, BLOWS IT OUT OF FUCKING PROPORTION AND ASSUMES THAT ALL RELIGION IS LIKE THIS.
So much of this is just wrong. Are we such bigots? I don't think we're bigoted any more than Christians are - bigotry is limited to the individual, not their theological beliefs. And what you said about The Amazing Atheist is just plain factually wrong. I have seen most of his videos, and I know that most of what he does is over-exaggerated for comedic and entertainment value. And he's far from bigoted, because he addresses arguments with logic and reasoning, and will reassess his views when confronted with compelling arguments. However there are, of course, no compelling arguments for the existence of God (dispute that if you will).

Fuck off.
Don't spew shit about religion/denominations that you know fuck all about. As an Orthodox Christian, I know several Orthodox Christian families living in bliss. The parents are lawyers, doctors, psychologists etc, and the kids are straight A students, who lead good lives. For example, they are by no means sexually repressed, because one of the families has 11 kids. Now, priests in the Orthodox church can get married, but before they are ordained. So they aren't sexually repressed either.
Fair enough. Did I say all priests are like that? I do not recall saying so. I said that many do. Bear in mind that "many" does not constitute a majority; but enough to be recognisable. This is my theory and that does not mean I am right. And "evidence" will not convince m otherwise, because it would have to be statistical and I am skeptical about how honest the results would be. But I digress - I know as well as you do that plenty of priests are not sexually repressed and are actually quite happy and content. Does this mean that all are? By all means no.

Oh, by the way, if they never use contraception (because, well, sex is only supposed to be used for procreation, is it not?), then 11 kids means they've had sex a minimum of eleven times in their whole marriage.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I don't know why you have to be such a dick about this, by the way. Is it not better to get your argument across without abusing the other side with offensive slurs and swearing? Is it not a childish, pointless tactic? (I'm not just referring to you, btw > 50% of this thread).
offensive slurs and swearing make the bad people go away

well most of the time at least

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Iirc correctly 4% of catholic priests are accused of sexual abuse. Are there any stats on other professions that actually show this as out of the ordinary? I.e. Do we know that (insert random career) have less such cases?
Galapagos do u have an answer for this

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Lots of figures being thrown around in here. Sources?

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Galapagos do u have an answer for this
Well I've been trying to find a study or something that has researched this and I haven't found anything except Michael Jackson and Religious Clergy-related articles and essays :/

A google search reveals something called the 'John Jay Report'. But I am apprehensive about the statistics published in the report, considering most of it was based on church-provided information. (See: http://www.jjay.cuny.edu/churchstudy/main.asp).

lolcakes52

HSC
don't be dumb, i was pointing out the one major flaw:
the fact that they don't molest adults as well as children doesn't make the act any more or less disgusting, you daft bimbo
I never implied it did, I said it makes the repressive nature of the institution more disgusting. When reading an argument it helps to finish reading the said argument before drawing a conclusion on its meaning.

Rohanco

HSC
I don't understand why people feel the need to post threads like this on a site that is specifically intended for Australian tertiary study related issues.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I don't understand why people feel the need to post threads like this on a site that is specifically intended for Australian tertiary study related issues.
Because this is the News, Current Affairs and Politics section. Knowing about and discussing the wider world is just as important as the subjects you actually do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)