Any point to getting high marks? (1 Viewer)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Is there any reason I may not be aware of, that would compel me to achieve high marks in my courses, if:

- I don't plan on transferring degrees
- I'm not particularly interested in extracurricular activities (unless they provide me with a professional advantage career-wise)
- I'm not overly competitive unless there's good reason to be

Because I certainly haven't identified an advantage in getting say, 90 rather than 60. Anyone have any ideas?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
When you apply for a graduate job they will ask for your grades.

Lou283

HSC
It could be the difference between you getting 60 and someone else getting the job because they got 65 for everything. If you have no other point of differentiation such as extracurricular activities of previous experience you have to have something which persuades people to select you over someone else. Getting good grades is easy to show and employers are impressed by.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
i'm skeptical...

to be honest, in some fields if you have 99 in everything, the employer could quite possibly think "lol nerd" and make other assumptions about you based on that

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
If you have a credit average plus work experience and extra curriculars your will probably fine. Distinction Average is obviously better, but most employers are after well rounded people.

terminator69

HSC
i'm skeptical...

to be honest, in some fields if you have 99 in everything, the employer could quite possibly think "lol nerd" and make other assumptions about you based on that
I have never heard of this and if this does actually happen, I'm sure it is with a redneck small business.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Personal satisfaction =P

Also, bragging rights!

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I have never heard of this and if this does actually happen, I'm sure it is with a redneck small business.
If you have nothing else but high grades you might struggle to secure a job in a client focused organisation (for example an accounting firm.) If you have high grades + other stuff ie work experience + extracurriculars you'll be fine.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Guys I'm just gonna say this now I'm gonna be a CEO when I grow up.

terminator69

HSC
If you have nothing else but high grades you might struggle to secure a job in a client focused organisation (for example an accounting firm.) If you have high grades + other stuff ie work experience + extracurriculars you'll be fine.
That is something totally different. Your scenario doesn't accommodate emplyoyers who reject people with high marks, it focuses on employers rejecting people with low customer service skills. Whether you have high or low marks, you are still going to have the same customer service skills.

kooltrainer

HSC
The advantages? uh nothing much besides getting into the most prestigious job and salary you yearn to approach

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
Everyone I've seen with perfect or near-perfect GPAs get jobs without too much difficulty. Also, as long as you have some research experience, getting high grades lets you walk into any grad program you want.

In science, do honours, get above certain wam, and it's not too hard to get into phd programs right?
in science, GPA > 5.5 (basically a decent credit average) = entry to honours
1st class honours (>85) is prereq for phd usually

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)